Page 1 of 6 (87 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 86 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 241,972
Thea Posted: Sat, Oct 13 2012 1:20 PM

It started a long time ago, I saw these quilts and heard about a class that was going to be held for the SW quilt.  I couldn't go though so the idea got shelved - for years and years...

Then I went on the retreat - on my way there - I stopped off at Barbara's for a couple days of relaxation(oh how we wish it would have been) but alas... that is another story and we digress... anyway...

Barbara took me and Elaine shopping that Tuesday and we went to the Missouri Star Quilt shop - and of course I saw this wonderful fabric that just jumped off the shelf and landed in my arms yelling...

MAKE A STACK AND WHACK QUILT OUT OF ME PLEASE!!!!

So of course, when a fabric does this to you - you just have to oblige - right???

Here is a picture of the fabric...

Now doesn't it scream at you - SAVE me - look what they did to me - I am spiders and gnarly monsters - I should be a beautiful Stack and Whack...teehee

So I couldn't find a book in the store to figure out how much I needed - so I bought a sizable piece and brought it home.  I got home and found 3 SW books on Amazon that they overnighted me since I am a Prime member - so I had a pattern now...

And I  had this fabric just staring at me each day but I had that SS project to finish - so I got my tootsies in gear and finished the SS and got the fabric out and started the process of making it into the beautiful SW that it is going to be...

I got out my NEW mobile design wall...

I have it set up and I got the fabric out and started prepping it...

My first 4 blocks up on the design wall - but it doesn't show much??? what it is going to transform into...

This is the first group of 18 blocks that were made from the first strip of fabric that I cut from my 6 pieces of the repeat - believe me taking the picture and looking at it is better then seeing it on the design wall...

WOW - am I having fun!  More then I have had in a long time... 

I forgot to take pictures of when I cut the strips - I still have 5 strips in tack so will take pictures there and of the little triangles and the sewing of them back together.  Right now they aren't hexagons - but half hexagons cuz when I get it all up on the design wall the way I want it I will then sew them in rows.

Neat!!!  I am so excited.

I hope you don't mind my inviting you to take this trip with me.  I just had to share with someone and the cats and dogs weren't talking to me.  teehee

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 241,972
Thea replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 1:21 PM

I am off to cut my 2nd strips into triangles to see what designs they give - see you later!!!  Yes I am nutz!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 1:41 PM

Thea, like you, I saw the stack n' whack quilts years ago. I thought they were so cool. Maybe, one day I could get to that. My LQS just had  class on them, but, alas, I was't able to attend.

Can't wait to follow your progress. Have fun!

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 241,972
Thea replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 1:46 PM

Sukochi, I plan on having fun with this one - something to take my mind off of everything else and this so far is fun!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,200
Pamela replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 1:52 PM

Thea,

Stack n Whack quilts are so much fun to make. I took a class back in the 90's, when this first came out. I still use it on my bed in the winter. I've also made two others for gifts to a niece and to my in-laws. I still have fabric I purchased to make two other quilts. It was really addictive, but I never got back to doing the last two planned quilts. Two of the quilts were the 90 degree triangle design, while the third one was the 60 degree diamond.

Your fabric is beautiful and the blocks are great. I remember, with my first quilt, anticipating what the block would look like when it was done. My blocks were the highlight of the class. Somehow, I picked the most interesting fabric. It had large fish all over it in a teal background with oranges, yellows, reds and greens. I still find the process fun and will make those other two quilts, someday. They would work perfectly for my grandchildren.

Keep it up and we'll all be waiting to see the finished quilt.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 1:55 PM

Thea this fabric is perfect.  I have never made a stack and wack but have made the one block wonder.  I have a nice piece of material I bought for a one block wonder, maybe I'll do the stack and wack instead

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 241,972
Thea replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 2:11 PM

the last 5 strips that are cut from the first repeat and the repeat in this material was almost 24"

the strip laid out to cut into triangles - I haven't figured out yet if I can fold it over and do 2 sets at a time...

cutting them into the stacks of 6 triangles - then I laid the 1 up and 1 down to keep them organized.

sewing up the 2nd group.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 241,972
Thea replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 3:01 PM

the next 18 are done and it is starting to take some shape - I love looking at the pictures as I can't see it close up like I am and I see different things in the pictures...

Am on a break now - my poor back has been screaming at me for about an hour but I wanted to get these 18 done... so I'll sit back now and relax for a few and see what changes I want to make - or wait till I get the rest of the blocks done before I start switching them around...

Having achey fun!!!

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,370
Points 174,993
Marie replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 3:06 PM

Thea, I love your fabric and your project, this is going to make an amazing quilt!  Can't wait to see it finished.  Which book did you order from Amazon, I have a book here somewhere and you've inspired me to hunt it down.  

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 3:16 PM

Thea - I love how your stack and whack is turning out!! And love, love, love the fabric. And if I'm not mistaken the fabric is from Paula Nadelstern's new collection. I love her collections. They are designed for fussy cut kaleidoscopes and great for stack and whack. Can't wait to see the whole quilt.

Zsofia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 241,972
Thea replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 3:30 PM

The book I am actually using for the cutting is One Block Wonders by Maxine Rosenthal.  I have 2 other Stack and Whack books by Bethany S. Reynolds that I haven't ruled out yet - For the moment am just cutting and sewing all the half hexagons.  I am leaning towards sewing them without any thing surrounding them - just the way I will eventually arrange them all... they all dropped on the floor a little while ago so had to figure out a new layout...was my fault - they stay just fine on the design wall but I tried to move the design wall and none of the blocks are pinned at the moment...  Zsofia - I'll have to look at the fabric and let you know - I didn't take notice of the manufacturer or designer...shameful but I'll blame that on the fabric screaming at me and jumping into my arms... I see so many different things sitting back and looking at the blocks... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 241,972
Thea replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 3:33 PM

Pam - I can see how it would become addicting - I am using the 60 degree for the hexagons - I looked at using half square triangles and might try that method as I have enough of this fabric I think to do some more... not sure... but so far am loving what I am doing.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 208
Points 3,505
Pearl replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 3:48 PM

Thea, this is so interesting.  It is going to be beautiful.   Keep going.  Can't wait to see how it works out.  i haven't seen any SW quilts where all the blocks were sewn together solid.  I love it!  Makes me want to get some fabric and make one too. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 4:09 PM

Thea

Aren't SnWs so much fun.  I have done several designs with this method and love it.  Yours is coming along beautifully.  I actually liked that fabric even before you cut it up.  Sort of looks like a Neimeyer design.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 241,972
Thea replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 4:09 PM

Oh that would be so much fun if a bunch of you quilters joined in with me and we could see the different fabrics that everyone picked and watched the quilts come together - oh please join in!

• | Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 6 (87 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use