Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 35 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti Posted: Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:05 AM

trying to remember/find some lyrics and old tunes, and who better to ask than others our age.

the  one that got me started is a song Mom sang to us as kids.  Ching-a-ling chan,  I now have all the words and will post them later when I get home from work.  A bit strange and probably not politically correct.  Now looking for the tune.

Anyone remember little bunny foo foo?  That I can get from my daughter who learned it at day care from a woman my mother's age. 

and of course, London bridge is falling down, which was about the bubonic plague.

And what about some of those jump rope rhymes we recited while jumping rope?

So many songs, etc are being lost, because those that knew them are gone.  There are some collections out there, but they are not complete.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:11 AM

Patti ,what a great idea, at this time Ican only think of the Isty Bisty  Spider ,

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,558
Points 246,072
Thea replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:23 AM

Patti, I don't think they are really lost - all I have to do is be around my grand children and hear them singing them.  I think maybe we haven't heard them for years.  Twinkle Twinkly little stars... hopscotch songs... brings back a lot of pleasant memories.  I just bought some things for my grand kids that had things like that on them.  The kids sang right along.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:38 AM

Ring around the Rosie...also about the plague, Pop Goes the Weasel, Mary Mack, I'm gonna go eat worms  are just a few of the ones I can think of right now.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:42 AM

I most remember what my kids sang as kids, in the 80's that was probably around for many years before that.  I grew up hearing Cuban children's songs, but my fav's are the "We sing silly songs" collection.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:53 AM

Pattie ,I know this is not an old song ,but when my son was born, Paul MacCartneys Silly Love Songs,was very popular and I sang that to him all the time. He sitll loves this song.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 96
Points 2,025
Barb S replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 9:08 AM

My favorite -- Little Duckie Duddle went wading in a puddle

Went wading in a puddle, quite small.

Says he, "It doesn't matter

How much I splash and splatter,

I'm only a duckie, after all.

Quack, quack!"

I taught this song to my girls when they were little and they have taught it to their children -- we allhave a great time singing it together -- one of us only has to start the first line and everyone joins in --- especially for the Quack quack!  LOL

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:19 PM

What about the unicorn song...by the Irish Rovers (from the 60's)?  We sang this with our kids and grandkids on every car trip...they all loved it!

A long time ago, when the Earth was green
There was more kinds of animals than you've ever seen
They'd run around free while the Earth was being born
And the loveliest of all was the unicorn

There was green alligators and long-necked geese
Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you're born
The loveliest of all was the unicorn

(There are many verses relating to Noah taking all the animals on the ark except the unicorns...(why they no longer exist).) 

(If you google "words to the unicorn song" you will get all the verses.)

When I was in Wash DC several years ago for a business conference, I discovered in an Irish Pub that the 20-somethings in that area knew all the words in addition to hand motions to the chorus that I had never seen before.  You can watch them here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwgMaKGd2ps  (Isnt YouTube great!!!)

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:20 PM

I don't know why the print is so small on my last post.  Does anyone know why that happens sometimes?

I posted this exactly the same way...

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Donna B:
What about the unicorn song...by the Irish Rovers

I love this song. My father taught it to us. He also taught us a Japanese picnic song. Not sure what the name of it is though.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:52 PM

Donna

I remember the unicorn song.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:58 PM

Of course we can't forget Old McDonald,  Nic Nac paddy whack this old man goes rolling home.  and head, shoulders, knees, and toes,  peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old.  10 little monkeys jumping on the bed.   And who can forget 99 bottles of beer on the wall.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 12:25 AM

Nana:

Of course we can't forget Old McDonald,  Nic Nac paddy whack this old man goes rolling home.  and head, shoulders, knees, and toes,  peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old.  10 little monkeys jumping on the bed.   And who can forget 99 bottles of beer on the wall.

Nana,

We had 10 green bottles (no beer for us) we also had pack up your troubles in your old kit bag, The farmers in the dell and also

"In a cottage in a  wood, little old man at the window stood saw a rabbit running by, Knocking at the door help me help me help me said for the huntsman shoots me dead come little rabbit come to me happy we shall be"  This was an action song.

Oh and Oranges and Lemons.

Lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 1:24 AM

Frances:
"In a cottage in a  wood, little old man at the window stood saw a rabbit running by, Knocking at the door help me help me help me said for the huntsman shoots me dead come little rabbit come to me happy we shall be"  This was an action song.

Frances,

I love that one. I sang that one in primary school and still sing it to my cats.

I like "The Farmer in the Dell" and "John Brown Had a Little Indian". I remember "10 Green Bottles" hadn't thought of that one in years.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 1:25 AM

"Have new friends but keep the old,

one is silver the other gold."

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use