Question RE: vintage hand stitch quilt and quilting $

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 12 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 555
Tammy posted on Tue, Oct 9 2012 2:44 PM

I have been asked to quilt a vintage top, probably late 60's early 70's. The customer has indicated that the pieces were probably hand stitched and I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't mix hand stitching and machine quilting. Is this accurate? And if so, what would the charge be for hand quilting. I'm a machine quilter by trade, so a little unsure...

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Answered (Verified) Nana replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 11:29 AM
Verified by Tammy

Tammy

You can machine quilt a hand pieced quilt top.  But like others have suggested I would discuss with the owner what she expects.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,402 Posts
Points 415,629
gini replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 10:00 PM

You need to discuss with the owner all the pros and cons of hand quilting vs. machine quilting,what her expectations are and the differences in cost, and outcome of the finished product.  

I was born in 1953, am I vintage, too?

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

gini:

:) :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,726 Posts
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 12:53 AM

gini:

I don't think you qualify...yet. LOL

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 555
Tammy replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 3:38 AM

Actually, anything over 20 years is vintage, so even at 35 I am as well. Not antique, mind you, but vintage. ;) My actual concern is whether I can mix hand sewn patchwork with machine quilting. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,280 Posts
Points 28,950
Agnes replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 5:31 AM

Because I am not concerned about what someone says and am known to walk to the beat of my own drummer, take my answer whichever way you want. My quilting is dictated by what my body allows me to do. Having recovered from severe.RSI in my hands I know I will never hand quilt again.. I can manage hand piecing and that then brings me to have to machine quilt my hand pieced tops. I love the vintage style of quilting. That is no overall meandering but accentuating the block design. I often end up with some stitch in the ditch to start and then free motion in open areas. Hand quilting takes time to perfect and I personally would not start learning it on a piece that size. As already suggested discuss with the owner what she is expecting, including $$$ amounts. I have nothing to offer in that respect.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
2,717 Posts
Points 38,350
ls2116 replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 7:16 AM

I'm not sure on charge but to keep quilt uniform i'd continue in same manner, and hand quilting for me would be alot more time consuming not to mention if you haven't done that method it would take practise.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Answered (Verified) Nana replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 11:29 AM
Verified by Tammy

Tammy

You can machine quilt a hand pieced quilt top.  But like others have suggested I would discuss with the owner what she expects.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 555
Tammy replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 8:46 PM

Thank you! I will definitely discuss it with her first, of course. All of my quilts begin with the consultation. It surprises people that there is so much involved when considering a quilt. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,370 Posts
Points 174,978
Marie replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 11:29 AM

gini:

Not as vintage as I!  1937 and way the h--l over the hill.  :  )

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
48 Posts
Points 1,060
Jan replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 6:02 PM

I am 75 and consider myself middle age

span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,018 Posts
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 6:15 PM

Tammy, 

I'm a little late. Was going to respond the other day and lost the post.  

As you said you are going to consult with the owner. Here is my two cents for what it's worth, which is probably less than two cents. You can hand quilt or machine quilt. It's her decision as to what she wants. Anyway, your owner may want to consider several things: 1. Is this a quilt she picked up from a flea market, garage sale, etc? 2. Is it a quilt that has no sentimental value? 3. If it has BIG sentimental value, then she may want it hand quilted. 4. If it has very little sentimental value, she may just want to get it quilted so it can be displayed or passed on to family members. 5. Is the fabric antique (I'm saying very old) fabric? In which case, she probably wants it hand quilted.  I just did several for a family that were hand pieced and vintage but they wanted them quilted and passed on to family so they got machine quilted. Your owner may not want to wait the time for it to be hand quilted.

Now to your other question, what to charge? Well, you know the machine fee and you know that it depends on the size of the quilt. The big question to the owner would be HOW do they want it hand quilted. Some people want it quilted every 1/4 of an inch. Whew! The lady I talked to here in our small town charges $200 up to $250. She does not do the 1/4 inch quilting. She quilts each piece. Of course, for this small town, low fees. She said if she were you she would charge $400 - $500 for a full size quilt depending on the type of quilting. She feels her fees are way too low. Probably doesn't help you a bunch but that's my two cents.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 10:49 AM

I am so glad that I saw this post.....Last night at quilt group, an older lady approached me about handquilting a quilt for her grand daughter that the other grandma had made.  I wasn't sure what to charge, and the lady doesn't know exactly how big it is. But says that I am the only person she knows who hand quilts......thanks Tammy for the question, and I liked romana's suggestion.......now I at least have a base charge...

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use