Top 10 Posters

What kind of bernina sewing machines should I buy?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 1,780
Lindy Posted: Sat, Oct 6 2012 10:43 PM

Hello, I'm I really need some help on this one. I have been thinking of this for a while and read other peoples reviews on what kind of sewing machine that I should buy. I don't have a lot of money saved up at the moment but If I knew what kind I was buying then I would know how much more money I should save up on. Right know I have about $500 saved up. I need it to able to quilt and sewing clothing. Can anyone please give me some examples or some that they would recommend?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,924
Points 41,110
ls2116 replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 10:49 PM

I wont be much help here but I'd say get the best diamond you can afford.  I've never been able to afford a bernina.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 11:58 PM

oklahomamom2:
Can anyone please give me some examples or some that they would recommend?

You really need to do your homework and know what you need before you buy a sewing machine these days...it's just like buying a car.  I have two Berninas and they are both excellent machines.  If you can afford one, I think they are the best on the market...but you do pay dearly for them!  There are many very experienced quilters on here who love their Janomes, Pfaff's, Vikings, etc.

My advise would be to make a list of all the feature you really want on your next machine.  (You might look at the feature available in the on-line videos on each brands website.)  Some of them may not be something you need or want, ie:  an embroidery module. 

For me, as a quilter, my top requirements were a solid metal machine, needle-down feature, and the biggest harp (distance between the needle and the machine base) that I could afford.  Make your list and start looking.  Try each of them out...and depending on where you live, be sure you have a good dealer with an excellent service department available.  Most people want the service department as convenient as possible to them!  (I don't have that luxury as I live in a remote area!)  When you visit the dealers, take your material and a list of the types of sewing you do...and give those machines a good trial run of what you need them to do.  Be sure YOU do the sewing, not the demo lady/man!  Get your hands on every machine that meets your criteria.  The sound, feel, and stitching quality of the machines should give you your answer!

Good Luck, 

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 12:02 AM

One thing I forgot:  Do ask if a demo model is available for purchase when you find the make and model machine you want.  Demo's come with the same warrantee as a new machine and have a sizeable price reduction (around 20%).  (My Bernina dealer actually got my demo machine from Chicago while I live in WA state!)

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 5:48 AM

I have 2 machines one Husqvarna Rose which i brought secondhand about 3 years ago, and a Bernina Record which was my mums and is over 30 years old if i had to get rid of one it would be the Husqvarna, this comes with lots of things that i will propably never use in my lifetime, but the Bernina works as well now as it did when it was new.

My advice make sure you are only paying for the things you are going to use, if its all singing and dancing thats only worth it if you are going to use all the singing and dancing bits.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,530
Points 31,115
Diana replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 6:07 AM

I have 2 Berninas and wouldn't give either one of them up.  But the newest one I bought in Pa. at a quilt show and got a great deal.  It was one I had been looking at here in Tn. and was $3500.  I got the same exact model in Pa. near Lancaster for $2500.  That is quite a savings.  Also, always ask if they have Demo machines available or even trade-ins.  I wouldn't trade in my Bernina 1008 but if I had, it would have been a lot cheaper to someone like you to get a good machine at a good price even though it was 11 years old.  Get that list of must-haves and shop around.  I knew my newest machine needed to have the needle down capability and the knee-lift.  It saves my shoulder not doing all that reaching (arthritis).  Available dealer that is local and can help when something goes wrong.  I have tons of different stitches but I usually only use straight and zig-zag.  I'm going to try more of them but they are not essential.  Hope this helps you out.

A member of my quilt guilds swears by her Pfaff.  She's got about 12 machines and it's her favorite.  Others love their Baby Locks or  Janome's.  Test drive as many as you can and make up your own mind.  

Diana (Bink) in East Tn. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 2:18 PM

oklahomamom2:
I need it to able to quilt and sewing clothing.

We'll need more information - what level of quilting are you planning?  Strictly straight-stitch piecing?  Embroidered blocks?  Fancy stitches for crazy quilts?  Free motion quilting?  What size quilts? - mostly baby and/or wall hangings or king-sized?  And what type of clothing do you make?  I don't mean to be nosey, but this all factors in to the machine that will fit your needs best.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 1,780
Lindy replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 9:24 PM

We'll need more information - what level of quilting are you planning?  Strictly straight-stitch piecing?  Embroidered blocks?  Fancy stitches for crazy quilts?  Free motion quilting?  What size quilts? - mostly baby and/or wall hangings or king-sized?  And what type of clothing do you make?  I don't mean to be nosey, but this all factors in to the machine that will fit your needs best.

I mostly quilt for my family/friends right know but this past year it has changed some I started going to a guild. They make quilts to donate to a children that have come from abused families. So I started making quilts to donate and I want ever I make to look wonderful. I really do like straight-stitch piecing and quilting noting like free motion because I'm too scared to do anything like that. I hand quilt all my pieces no matter how big or small I know that's a lot of work but its just how I am it relaxes me. I would like some fancy stitches like if I bought clothes that were plain looking make them look more like me or stylish for my kids. I do from small quilts to king size depending on who I make it for. I like to make skirts, pj's, dresses and kids clothes right know but I'm not very good at it since I don't really have all the feet I need to make them look like they need too. But I try to give it a good try when I do.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 109
Points 1,005
barbjahay replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 4:19 PM

My Bernina Vertuosa 153 Quilters Edition is great, I have keep it busy for several years. There was an articale in quilt magazine comparing machines and the features they offered. I also looked on-line. This was the model i had decided on. I had worn out a Singer and a Kenmore. I was doing alot of sewing for a quilt shop and saved up my money for my dream machine.  We went to Enid after tractor parts and my husband surprised me by taking me to the Bernina Dealer. The model was right inside the front door and on sale.  I tried it out and it home with me. I love it. I had saved up some money and put the rest on my CC. It is well worth the extra money. I use the decrotive stitches to make labels. It came with a walking foot which I use all the time. A friend of mine bought the same model but has traded hers in for the new one with the stitch regulator. If you plan on usining it alot and want to have it a long time, buy quality.  bj

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 109
Points 1,005
barbjahay replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 4:35 PM

I just thought of something else to add. Since you live here in OK. Jim Morris of Apache OK, Morris Sew and Vac, phone 580-351-4579  or 588-2796, comes to Woodward and surrounding area to repair and service machines. He stopped by the quilt shop and brought by two older Bernina machines that someone had traded in etc. One came in its own case with all the attachments and was like brand new. He only wanted $150.00 dollars for each of them.  If I had not already bought mine I would have been really tempted to get it. The shop owner bought both of them and turned around and resold them in no time.  You can check around and see whats available in your area. Good Luck, bj

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 1,780
Lindy replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 11:03 PM

Thanks so much for the information I will look into it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,410
Points 19,565

I have a Bernina 140 patchwork. I love it, but it was given to me when my step-mother passed. I have since found that all extra parts and feet are very expensive. I'm just saying, keep that in mind when you make your decision.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 1,780
Lindy replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 11:20 PM

I looked for that model and I can't find it any were online?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use