Matching fabric

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
735 Posts
Points 18,400
Brigit-Carol posted on Fri, Oct 5 2012 3:32 PM

Hello all.  I'm not very good at matching fabric.  I'm making pie carriers and wonder if these fabrics would work OK.  I thought of doing front/ back with the floral and circles, and the same with the circles and honeycomb.  On both pair, only two colours match but I'm hoping I might get away with them since they won't be side by side.  

Edited to add:  picture is cut off, but if you click on it, a new window will open with the whole array.  

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 170

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:35 PM

Belfry bat

I used a layer of lightweight batting and a layer of stabilizer when I made mine.  The stabilizer made them more sturdy and the batting gave them a soft feel.   The batting also provides some insulating properties.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
426 Posts
Points 9,220
Pamela replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 8:47 AM

I'm going to be the kink in the chain. Sorry, but my first response was that the floral and large circles do not go together. All three fabrics are pretty, but I would match the smaller honeycomb with either of the larger prints.

Both of the larger prints are competing for attention here. The smaller print gives the eye a place to rest.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,709 Posts
Points 248,377
Thea replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 5:59 PM

Belfrybat - I think they all go together - there are colors in each fabric that coordinate - I would have to see the pattern to see just how big the pieces are to say whether they would look good next to each other or not.  It is very hard to say.  Sometimes you think something would stink and it amazes you just how good it does - but your fabrics all coordinate.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
735 Posts
Points 18,400

Thea:

Belfrybat - I think they all go together - there are colors in each fabric that coordinate - I would have to see the pattern to see just how big the pieces are to say whether they would look good next to each other or not.  It is very hard to say.  Sometimes you think something would stink and it amazes you just how good it does - but your fabrics all coordinate.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.  The pie carrier is 25" square. The fabrics won't be next to each other.  One will be on the outside and the other the lining.  I had thought the floral for the outside and the circles for the lining of one and the circles on the outside and the small honeycomb print as the lining on the other.  However,  I have plenty of the honeycomb and with the guidance I'm getting here I'm now leaning towards using it as lining for both the circles and the floral. It's busy enough that I think it won't show stains too much.   

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,709 Posts
Points 248,377
Thea replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 8:37 PM

Belfrybat, I think you have got it all worked out and sounds great.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,649 Posts
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 9:04 PM

Oh, I agree with you Belfrybat. I think the large prints for the outsside of the carriers and the small print for the inside.  that is what I thought of all along but just didn't voice my opinion until now.  Good luck. I know they will turn out wonderfully'   Ginny

Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 125

I think all the colors will work out very nice. Hope to see your  pie carrier all done.  I bet they'll be pretty gifts.

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use