Matching fabric

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
735 Posts
Points 18,400
Brigit-Carol posted on Fri, Oct 5 2012 3:32 PM

Hello all.  I'm not very good at matching fabric.  I'm making pie carriers and wonder if these fabrics would work OK.  I thought of doing front/ back with the floral and circles, and the same with the circles and honeycomb.  On both pair, only two colours match but I'm hoping I might get away with them since they won't be side by side.  

Edited to add:  picture is cut off, but if you click on it, a new window will open with the whole array.  

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 170

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
34 Posts
Points 735

I can't wait to see what others say ---- I have the same problem you do ---- no confidence in my color choices and pattern mixing. I think these look good (and I have that floral and LOVE it!).

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
2,904 Posts
Points 40,845

for me i like the floral of coarse with the small circles.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 500 Contributor
Female
77 Posts
Points 1,665
JodyS replied on Fri, Oct 5 2012 6:35 PM

Belfrybat, I think those colors are wonderful together! They are close enough and, to me, the contrasts are great. Should make some incredible pie carriers.

JodyS

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 10

They look good to me and I don't have any eye for color.  I, too, struggle with the same problem. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Any chance you have a solid in any of the blues that you could substitute for the smallest print?  Just my two cents.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
735 Posts
Points 18,400

MNnancy:

Any chance you have a solid in any of the blues that you could substitute for the smallest print?  Just my two cents.

Thanks for the suggestion. No I don't have a solid, but I don't have to use that combination.  I could just stick to the floral and large circles as these will be given to different people (Christmas presents).  Since the honeycomb had two of the colours in the circles, I  wondered about putting them together.  I don't want to use a solid for the lining since it would show stains too easily.  

Everyone else who has commented -- many thanks.  I just am not confident about putting different prints/ colours together.  Being able to ask and get feedback is really nice for me.

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

Personally, I would stick with the floral and large circles.  They're both beautiful prints.  The small circles/honeycomb just doesn't do anything for me...just MHO...

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Fri, Oct 5 2012 11:05 PM

i can't see the small circles, but i love the floral with the large circles.

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

I love to do colors, (Not Scrappy) so my choice is to use the floral and the circle teal/blue brown/ olive as outside fabrics, both will be wonderful with the honeycomb fabric as the lining. That as a lining will not show stains.
I really like all three of these fabrics and if you have left overs they would be beautiful as a tote bag, all together floral as the main piece, circles as the accent and the honeycomb as the bottom or trim, or pockets, then a soft blue or olive tiny print to bind the top and use as lining. 
Hint pre wash before cutting and use a med to light weight iron on stabilizer to keep these fabrics from shrinking any during all the use they will get. I know the casserole carriers call for batting,  necessary to keep the foods hot, or cold, however over the years of use the one with the stabilizer added still look good, others I still use but they look worn.
Breathe.....  have a wonderful sewing experience.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,414 Posts
Points 61,767

Belfrybat:
wonder if these fabrics would work OK

Just my 2 cents worth, but I think all three fabrics work in any combination. I personally would probably use the small print as the lining paired with either of the others as the outer fabric, but the two bolder fabrics would work together, too. Colors in all three are similar and the pattern differences add interest.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 100 Contributor
Female
735 Posts
Points 18,400

Thank you.  I love getting all the different advice from this group.  I was only going to use the honeycomb as the lining for it's busy-ness and not showing stains.  Hadn't thought about pre-washing, so thanks for that advice.  Also didn't think about using stabilizer.  I've got two of a different fabric assembled with light weight batting.  When I get it quilted (before adding the straps) I'll wash and iron it to see how it behaves.  Then might just use stabilizer instead of batting on the others.   At any rate, thanks all for your comments -- I do appreciate having a place to come to ask questions and get advice.  Maybe one of these days I will know enough to return the favour! :)

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 7:11 AM

Personally I like the floral and the large circles together.  Not fond of the smaller circles with this grouping.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,115 Posts
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 12:05 PM

I love the floral and large circles the best but the small circles do blend with it to me. Maybe for a lining or a handle?

Not Ranked
Female
44 Posts
Points 895

I love the pairing of the floral and the bigger circles. The blue just pops! Happy sewing!

Jen

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use