Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,044
gini replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 2:57 AM

frances, i live in idaho and our state veggie is the potato. we grow lots of them in southern idaho.  they have genetically engineered  some huge spuds (potato) that are as big as our heads, developed  just for mcdonalds french fries.   our state fruit is the huckleberry. it looks like a small blueberry but is way more flavorful and tarter.  they are found more in the northern part of the state. we also have a small landlocked salmon called  kokanee. they are delish smoked and go great  with a cold beer.  the kokanee are spawning now. we like to drive up our small streams and watch the bright red fish make their way upriver.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 5:26 AM

gini:

frances, i live in idaho and our state veggie is the potato. we grow lots of them in southern idaho.  they have genetically engineered  some huge spuds (potato) that are as big as our heads, developed  just for mcdonalds french fries.   our state fruit is the huckleberry. it looks like a small blueberry but is way more flavorful and tarter.  they are found more in the northern part of the state. we also have a small landlocked salmon called  kokanee. they are delish smoked and go great  with a cold beer.  the kokanee are spawning now. we like to drive up our small streams and watch the bright red fish make their way upriver.

Gini,

The huckleberrys sound great i do make blueberry muffins but i find the blueberrys we have here dont have a lot of taste.  Im possibly just being thick but whats the point of having a potatoe at big as a head if you just chop them up into Macdonalds french fries, surely it makes more sense to turn them into a twice baked potatoe to feed a family of 10.

Although im not keen on fish (eating not watching), i like the idea of driving along the streams to watch the fish.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 5:30 AM

Marie,

It all sounds great but what are Ginnatas.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,385
Points 119,276
Patti replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 5:56 AM

In Washington state, I think it is the wild berries I love the best. Huckleberries, and blackberries, those little low to the ground small ones.  And Salmon.  And can't forget apple pie, and fresh pressed cider.  (frozen and thawed equally good.) 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,043
Points 169,873
Marie replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 11:10 AM

Frances:

Marie,

It all sounds great but what are Ginnatas.

lots of love

Francesxx

Italian cookies with icing on them.  I looked for a picture in my online photos but found nothing.  Pics must be in one of my dozen shoe boxes full of snapshots.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,044
gini replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 11:39 AM

Frances:
Im possibly just being thick but whats the point of having a potatoe at big as a head if you just chop them up into Macdonalds french fries,

they get more and longer fries, with less  skin, so less waste.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 12:27 PM

Patti:

In Washington state, I think it is the wild berries I love the best. Huckleberries, and blackberries, those little low to the ground small ones.  And Salmon.  And can't forget apple pie, and fresh pressed cider.  (frozen and thawed equally good.) 

Patti, is Washington State where the Marion berries come from?

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 12:36 PM

Frances:

gini:

Gini,

The huckleberrys sound great i do make blueberry muffins but i find the blueberrys we have here dont have a lot of taste.  Im possibly just being thick but whats the point of having a potatoe at big as a head if you just chop them up into Macdonalds french fries, surely it makes more sense to turn them into a twice baked potatoe to feed a family of 10.

Although im not keen on fish (eating not watching), i like the idea of driving along the streams to watch the fish.

lots of love

Francesxx

Frances, having been working on my Bible study this morning, I am really questioning life. Why do we put more stock in french fries in a fast food restaurant then in th fact that it could feed so many people who live without food, here in our own country?   I am just looking at all the places I am "STUCK", the name of our study.  Does God put it into us that fast food is the do all and end all of our lives?

Oh, don't mind me. I am questioning everything. Trying to put it in wants and needs.

Off to give myself the last B-12 shot. Owie!!!

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 12:54 PM

Gini, i'm surprised by that I know I shouldn't be but I've never seen a potatoe that big I'm from mi.  I'd love to get that size for making stews.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,807
Points 43,614
Eileen replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 9:26 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

Elilee, isn't Chicago also known for a chees steak sandwich? Seems like I saw a show about great places to eat and that was one of them

I've heard of the Philly cheesesteak sandwich but not one that's specifically Chicago.  Chicagoans like their hot dogs a certain way, Eli's Cheesecake is here, there's lots of good ethnic food (Polish, Mexican & everything under the sun). Not being a native, I can't name all the specialties and with all the neighborhoods, everyone has their own favorite eatery.  There are a few food shows that highlight the best of - restaurants, burgers, pizza, you name it. - you probably saw one of those.  Come on over & try a bit of everything!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 8 2012 10:01 AM

Frances my favorite food is  the gumbo I make . It is a cajun soup with rice ,okra spices and what ever kinda of meat you want to put into it , I like susage and little shrimp in mine . It can be made from scratch which is a pain and I'm lazy so I use a box gumbo mix, and add crushed tomatos and green chilies , with mine .I also serve it with Sweet cornbread and apple butter . I made this at retreat this year and I think everyone lliked it . we had very little left. It is one of those foods that taste better on the second day . LOL   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,412
Points 62,115
Bonita replied on Mon, Oct 8 2012 3:51 PM

Frances, I live in Florida where we're known for our oranges and grapefruits. So good and sweet. there are the Key Lime trees where the absolute best Key Lime pies are made. My favorite pie. so yummmy... so full of calories.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Mon, Oct 8 2012 10:51 PM

Bonita,

I love key lime pies as well, if i make one they always vanish very quickly.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 7:01 AM

Frances

Virginia is know for it's Virginia ham, apples, peanuts.  I love VA ham and also salt cured country ham. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 10:40 AM

Nan, have you ever seen Loretta Lynn's recipe for Country Ham?  My grandmother was the queen of country ham. I think it is just too salty and in this day of healt wise cooking, salt has to be watched. I loved the old South country cooking. 

Sukochi

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use