rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances Posted: Thu, Oct 4 2012 12:13 PM

Hi everyone nosy me again,

Okay do you have food that you are only likely to get in your particular state and or do you have a favourite.

Im in England, i dont have anything particular to my county but my favourite is stuffed jacket potatoes, and puddings i do i really good home made chocolate mousse.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 2:55 PM

Frances:

Hi everyone nosy me again,

Okay do you have food that you are only likely to get in your particular state and or do you have a favourite.

Im in England, i dont have anything particular to my county but my favourite is stuffed jacket potatoes, and puddings i do i really good home made chocolate mousse.

lots of love

Francesxx

You put jackets on your potatos? Is it really THAT cold???

Georgia is known for peaches, peanuts, and Vidalia onions. Oh, and Claxton fruit cakes. I think, though, you can buy all of those grown in other states. Well, they would make the fruitcakes. But, if y'all can get your potatos to wear jackets, I guess, we could get our fruitcakes to grow!!! No favorites that I can think of, But I knda like the wool plaid jacket on your potato!!

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,038
Points 108,680

ooooh. That's a tough one. MT is noted mostly for beef production, and I enjoy a good rib steak. There's a company in Lincoln that makes really awesome beef jerky. We're known for growing grain here, so i guess Beef Barley soup would be a local favorite. There are micro brewerys everywhere you turn, so local beers are popular (altho I don't drink beer so I can't tell you which is best.) And a winery in Kalispell that makes a tasty white... Wheat Montana Breads are really good.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 786
Points 20,015
Carol replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:49 PM

Here in Arkansas, they have a favorite called Chocolate Gravy - they serve it with biscuits for breakfast, but sounds about like the chocolate pudding my Mom used to make, served it hot with bread broken up in it for us kids!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935

Carolina Pulled Pork Barbecue - which is vinegar-based.  Very different from what you would see in western states.

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Fri, Oct 5 2012 9:52 AM

Hi Frances,

In Tennesseei we have Jack Daniels (whiskey) but that is not food unless your are on a liquid diet. lol

I hear it is used on fruit cakes, etc

My favorite meal is Chicken and Dumplings with Pecan Pie for dessert.

What do you stuff your potatoes with?

from TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Fri, Oct 5 2012 1:02 PM

Okay Sukochi,

Very funny, I think you call them twiced baked potatoes, rough explanation as follows-

Bake a potatoe, take out the middle put the middle in a seperate bowl add some grated cheese, onion, bacon and sweetcorn mix it up put it back in the potatoes sprinkle grated cheese on top and put under the grill until its golden brown.

Bev i think this answers your question as well.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Fri, Oct 5 2012 1:05 PM

Bev :

Hi Frances,

In Tennesseei we have Jack Daniels (whiskey) but that is not food unless your are on a liquid diet. lol

I hear it is used on fruit cakes, etc

My favorite meal is Chicken and Dumplings with Pecan Pie for dessert.

What do you stuff your potatoes with?

Bev, I have put Whiskey in my fruit cakes, it works very well but the Chicken and Dumplings with Pecan pie sounds great.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,354
Points 31,930

Gee, Thanks, Carol!!  Now you have me wanting chocolate gravy SO BAD!  With some of Momma's cat-head biscuits (No, Sokuchi! they are not made from cat's heads. LOL! They are called that cause they are the size of a cat's head.) With a nice golden brown crisp top from the bacon grease wiped on the top of biscuit right before they go in the oven.

Read this thread before I went to bed last night and woke up from a dream this morning about crispy fried chicken, mashed taters with milksop gravy, corn on the cob, homemade ice cream next to a big slice of hot pecan pie...oh, Lord!  To be twenty again and able to eat like that!!

But, alas! I am in Kansas...all they have is sunflowers and wheat, and not much of them this year due to drought.  I guess Kansas City has BBQ ribs, but I can't eat them either.

Guess I'll go have a bowl of Cream of Wheat instead.  Yum...not!

Max

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Fri, Oct 5 2012 1:53 PM

Hey Max

Cream of Wheat sounds good. I'm sitting here eating a bowl of oats with no butter or sugar. I did add cinnamon though, which reminds me that I add cinnamon in my pecan pie which my family loves...

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,053
Points 169,998
Marie replied on Fri, Oct 5 2012 3:24 PM

Frances, my favorite food is FOOD!  You plop anything in front of me and I'll eat it, it's suddenly gourmet if you put a sauce or gravy on it.  As for the dessert, plop some ice cream on top or cream and I died and went to heaven.

As for foods from my neck of the woods, there's Boston baked beans, New England clam chowder, apple pie, etc.  Our apples are some of the best in the country.   But your able to get these things anywhere these days.  Am I forgetting anything New Englanders?

Being of Italian heritage, my mother made the best meatballs, sausage, lasagna and Italian cookies in the world.  Her Ginnata's, anise cookies, were sort after at Christmas time.  I could go on and on.  Did I mention her home made Italian bread?

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

CC, my uncle started and used to own the Sleeping Giant Brewery in Helena, I don't drink beer either, yuck..  I agree that Wheat Montana bread is really good.

Margaret

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,807
Points 43,614
Eileen replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 10:05 PM

I live in Chicago, Illinois (it's a Midwestern state for those of you not from the US). I grew up in east central Illinois in a town surrounded by soybean & corn fields. I love fresh corn on the cob, especially Illini extra sweet, grown around, developed at & named for  my university home town. 

DH grew up in the Chicago area and he loves Chicago-style deep dish pizza. I like it once in a while, but prefer Papa Dels from my home town.  When we visited Italy four years ago & spoke with some locals, they told us how much they did not like Chicago style deep dish pizza as it is so very different from the really thin crust pizza in much of Italy. They do make a really good thin crust & it's so much easier to eat more! LOL Local flavors, local preferences!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 2:00 AM

Elilee, isn't Chicago also known for a chees steak sandwich? Seems like I saw a show about great places to eat and that was one of them

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 2:04 AM

We do call them that. But I don't put corn in mine. Sour cream, diced oonions, crean cheese and that's it.

Sukochi

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use