Top 10 Posters

Beginning Quilter - Cutting Question

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 90
anitasale posted on Wed, Oct 3 2012 11:24 AM

I have made a few small quilts and am embarking on my first bed-size quilt.  I have designed a simple Amish-style lattice pattern which is simply 2 triangles with a cross bar with pointed ends making a square.  Alternating these should make a zigzag lattice pattern and I am happy with my design on paper.  What I wonder is if I can use "jellyroll" strips for the cross bar pieces?  When long pieces are applied in an angled manner, does the piece have to be cut on the same angle from the fabric or can it be cut square to the weave of the fabric?  Another question, if the "jellyroll" strips work for this application and the pieces come at 2-1/2 inches wide including the pinked edge, and my pieces are 2-5/8 including the two quarter-inch seam allowances, would the pinked edge be a problem in the long run on the back of the quilt.  Thanks so much for any help with this!!

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,334 Posts
Points 20,045

Few things:

First, many jelly rolls come with straight edges.  This should make things easier for you wanting to use a smaller cut. 

Regarding the sizing, obviously, you're off by 1/8".  However, since you have a seam allowance on each side, then your size difference is 1/16" on each side (so 1/16 per seam) , so even if your edges are pinked, I think you should be fine. 

Regarding the angles, I would use the straight cuts and not worry about the grain.  I think that's how most of the quilters I know would cut what you describe, but I'll leave it to others to speak up if anyone disagrees.

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 90

Thank you!!  The jelly roll that I am looking at is the Kaufman Kona solids which do have pinked edges :o(  Glad to hear that you think this would work.  I appreciate you taking time to respond.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,334 Posts
Points 20,045

Yeah, I just thought of that right after I posted - that I have seen some with pinked edges, even though the ones I tend to buy all the time are straight.  I edited my reply above, but you were too quick for me.  :)

I would think you'd be fine with 1/16 on either side.

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,407 Posts
Points 19,560

Hi Anita,

I would think you want to cut all your fabric with the grain. If you cut it on the bias, you will end up with a piece of fabric with quite a bit of give. The bias is used mainly for the binding with curves so the give is very useful. As you cut the pieces they will be laid out in any direction but will work better for you if not on the bias. Good luck with your design. Hope to see a picture of it soon.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

Hello Anita, welcome to QCA. I am re reading your post and I have a answer with a question. Jelly roll is a 2.5" cut x the WOF so if you need to have a straight grain fabric then this will be great. When piecing the 2 5/8"  triangles adding this cut will help in keeping your bias edge of the triangle straight.,
when you say pinked edge you are not referring to any fabric actually cut away so the 2.5" strip is 2" + the  seam allowance.
are you cutting your squares 2 5/8" then cutting them in half for your triangles? 
see making HST in video form, so that you will have your cut sizes the width you desire

Now in reference to the BACK of the quilt I am confused.  The edge will be in the seam allowance and should by no means give you any problem front or back.

What I wonder is if I can use "jellyroll" strips for the cross bar pieces? yes
When long pieces are applied in an angled manner, does the piece have to be cut on the same angle from the fabric or can it be cut square to the weave of the fabric? straight of grain will stabilize the triangle bias cut so the answer is no the fabric done;t have to be cut to follow the triangle  angle, and YES the fabric can be cut on the straight grain

Might I suggest you prepare one in muslin first then see what you may need to adjust ... not seeing the block itself I hope this helps 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 4:40 PM

Sounds like it will work just make sure you square each block as you complete it and make sure they are all teh same size.

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 90

Here  is my quilt design.  These are all squares even though my monitor tends to stretch the width of all images.  I am specifically asking about the diagonal bar in each square.  I think from all these replies that my original question is answered which I so appreciate.  I think I will just buy yardage and cut my strips rather than have the pinked edges  with a total of 3/16 of seam allowance on the sides.  Thank you for confirming that even though these pieces run diagonally and will be seamed to a bias angle, they should be square to the weave of the fabric (I guess ESPECIALLY since they will be seamed to a bias cut).  I am sure this won't be my only question here!!  Thanks for the welcome!!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use