rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 315
Claire Posted: Tue, Oct 2 2012 2:01 PM

Hello All!

Anyone know how to become a quilt tester?  I would be interested in this.  Thanks.

Claire

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

OK Clare - you have got me.  What is a quilt tester.  I thought that's what my cats do when they lay on my quilts as i am sewing them.  :o)

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 315
Claire replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 6:05 PM

Marge,

I guess that's one way to test a quilt, mine do that too. But I mean, in the magazines when they show the same squares but in different fabric or the people who test new patterns.

Claire

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Hmm - I don't know how they pick those folks.  Maybe you could write to one of the magazines and just ask. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 9:49 AM

I don't know about that. But, the ones who make quilts in other fabrics, then the one shown with the instructions, is usually an Associate Editor. Not sure if that is what you are talking about or not.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,726
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 11:30 AM

Claire,

most designers have blogs and they advertise for testers from time to time.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 315
Claire replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 2:36 PM

Thanks everyone for some good suggestions.  I'll check my publications for info. 

claire

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625

Jackie is on the Scrap Squad for Quiltmaker and she was telling me it is only for a year. You could try that and see.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 2:15 PM

Quiltmaker posts things on their facebook page from time to time. Recently I've seen them looking for home sewers for their back to school sew-a-long and then looking for block testers for their 100 blocks publication. I think the spots fill up very quickly so you just have to keep checking. I think I applied for their scrap squad sometime in October last year, so you might keep an eye out for any info on that too.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 2:26 PM

Terry Atkinson of Atkinson Designs lives in Elk River, Minnesota, and she sometimes offers quilters a chance to test a new pattern through a "class" at the local quilt shop in Elk River.  She asks the quilters to try her new pattern on site and she pays close attention to the kinds of questions they ask and the trouble spots they encounter so that she can make final edits to the pattern before it goes into production.  They get to keep the pattern and project they made for free.  It would be fun to invite a designer to a guild sewing day to do this same kind of thing.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 7:27 PM

My LQS asked me if I would be interested in making display quilts for them.  I don't remember all the details as that was a couple of years ago and I didn't have time to do it, but you might ask at your LQS.

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,343
Points 241,927
Thea replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:32 PM

Sometimes you are in just the wrong place at the wrong time and end up doing this!  Teehee... if Jodie is reading she is saying WHAT!!!  But contact the magazines and tell them you are interested.  Go to the Facebook pages of the different editors and tell them too!  I can tell you though that it is something that you have to do fast - usually you get a last minute call that a quilt has to be done yesterday and the picture and material are on there way all ready.  

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use