Top 10 Posters

Denim 7" Squares for Man's King Size Quilt...?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
131 Posts
Points 2,300
Tracy posted on Mon, Oct 1 2012 2:26 PM

I was gifted two huge pages of denim scraps - well, not exactly scraps, but legs and pockets of old jeans. The most uniform, largest size squares I could cut out of these is 7". I've purchased some flannel along the way, thinking that a denim/flannel quilt top would be perfect for my tough guy's quilt (boyfriend), but now I find I am stumped as to what type of pattern would lend well to this size of squares? I'd like to avoid further cutting of the denim, if possible, since it is very labor intensive...any suggestions as to how I can work these pieces together to make a nice, manly quilt? I thought of a simple patchwork "rag" quilt, but really not sure how flannel and denim will behave together in that way, and don't want it to look "boring"...please help! I've only been quilting for a year, and so far have a fantastic stash and only 3 completed projects to show for it! Thanks all!

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,233 Posts
Points 35,340
Linda replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 6:26 AM

I have a book by Leisure Arts called Easy Denim Quilts. . I've had it for a long time, but if you go to their website www.leisurearts.com  you might still find it. I think the ISBN is 2890603800. There is a sticker over part of it. There are really some cute quilts  in it.

Linda

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 6:53 AM

Please explain...what are "pages of denim scraps"?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
131 Posts
Points 2,300
Tracy replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 7:21 AM

Woops! BAGS of denim scraps. Typo...

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

Top 500 Contributor
Female
131 Posts
Points 2,300
Tracy replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 7:23 AM

Wow Gini, that is incredible! What a wonderful testament to the durability and longevity of a well-made quilt!

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

Top 500 Contributor
Male
143 Posts
Points 4,460
Joe replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 7:49 AM

Well Tracy, I ain't no Lady, but I think your quilt will be great. You sound like you have a strong feeling for it, and that's what I believe in. I like your four-patch example.

I judge it outstanding in advance.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
131 Posts
Points 2,300
Tracy replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 8:07 AM

Thank you very much, Joe! And between you and I....I ain't much of a lady, either.... ;-)

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

Top 500 Contributor
Male
143 Posts
Points 4,460
Joe replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 5:10 PM

Speaking of Denim, and another thing I don't have a picture of. I saved up jeans of a generous manly size, and when I had enough I made a free-form quilt for new grandbaby to crawl on. I just pieced the leg pieces together like a giant crazy patch, let it turn into the shape it wanted to be. Turned out to be like a double oval or sloppy figure eight. I appliqued (laughable I should call it that) squares of bright jungle print fabric with like animals eyeballs on it, padded a little with batting. It was raw edge applique (very raw) and I snipped the overhang to make it interesting for baby fingers to pick at. I used a flannel backing, tied it with bright embroidery thread, and shipped it off. Popular with parents, baby, and the cats of the family. No pic, but you should be able to imagine it. They said it looks like a pond and call it the Pond Quilt.

Not Ranked
16 Posts
Points 80

I finally got started on a "rug/exercise mat" that I had wanted to make for a long time. I called for 80 8" squares of denim and 40 7" squares of batting. You have demin, batting,denim then  either sew an X through the squares or use any of your machine special stitches (or cams on an older machine). I used all black heavy thread on mine, but think it would look great with red thread or even variated. That part has been done for awhile. I started the "sashing", but it calls for sewing the sashing, top and bottom at the same time, and I can't seem to get it to look right. Will have to get it out and try it again. I like the four patch that was pictured. I also saw one online that was stitched together, then went back and top stitched in red thread. I really liked it! Good luck on your project

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use