Top 10 Posters

Denim 7" Squares for Man's King Size Quilt...?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
131 Posts
Points 2,300
Tracy posted on Mon, Oct 1 2012 2:26 PM

I was gifted two huge pages of denim scraps - well, not exactly scraps, but legs and pockets of old jeans. The most uniform, largest size squares I could cut out of these is 7". I've purchased some flannel along the way, thinking that a denim/flannel quilt top would be perfect for my tough guy's quilt (boyfriend), but now I find I am stumped as to what type of pattern would lend well to this size of squares? I'd like to avoid further cutting of the denim, if possible, since it is very labor intensive...any suggestions as to how I can work these pieces together to make a nice, manly quilt? I thought of a simple patchwork "rag" quilt, but really not sure how flannel and denim will behave together in that way, and don't want it to look "boring"...please help! I've only been quilting for a year, and so far have a fantastic stash and only 3 completed projects to show for it! Thanks all!

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

I'm going to jump in and say welcome to QCA first & then say no to mixing flannel and jean denim because the strength, in the thickness is just too far from each fabric properties. You can use the flannel as a backing fabric though be cause you defiantly do not need to have any batting in between. Look into just the simplest pattern of adding squares to each other and making a bunch of rows and piecing them together for whatever length and width you can get from the scraps
Here is a simple one to do , if all the pieces are 7" sq then make 10 x 10 rows that will finish at 60" sq, make a nice throw. if you will have leftovers say 3 or 4 " by rectangle shapes you can make a piano key border by sewing hundreds of these pieces to each other and bordering or 30 pieces added to the top to add a bit of interest. Just start cutting and see what you can get out of the fabric. BTW you can add rectangles through out the pieced top to add more dimension to the piece. say a few squares then a 7"x 3 or 4 " wide  then more squares. happy Quilting.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,385
Renee replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 6:32 PM

Hi Tracy,

I think a basic rag quilt would be great for your tough guy.  The flannel and the denim will work fabulous together.  What kinds of thing does your guy like?  Try and find flannels that relate to his interest.

Here are some pics of  rag quilts I have done.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
653 Posts
Points 16,575

You might not want to go to this much trouble since you have already cut your squares, but this makes a fabulous mock cathedral quilt.  You could use the flannel for the windows.  I've seen one in person and it was truly beautiful. 

http://www.straw.com/equilters/library/jeans/jeans_gallbaros.html

Here's a pic of a king size (I'll bet that is one heavy sucker!):  

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
131 Posts
Points 2,300
Tracy replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 8:02 PM

Honestly, the cathedral window look is too much for me at this point, but I do love the look, and I've seen several done this way. I'm wondering if I should try this, instead though...I'm really digging the look of the 4 patches mixed in to break things up. I have red plaid flannel and also some navy plaid flannel. The red flannel is a set of king size sheets I grabbed at goodwill. As soon as I saw it, I knew his quilt was going to be made with it - his favorite color is RED! What do you ladies think of this? I don't think I would rag it if I did this, though...and I would probably have to resort to tying, as in this pic, since I would like to have this done before Christmas, if possible.

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

Top 100 Contributor
Female
653 Posts
Points 16,575

That is nice looking.  If I were you, I'd be sure to use heavy flannel or double it so the denim doesn't pull the seams out.

Brigit-Carol

Top 500 Contributor
Female
131 Posts
Points 2,300
Tracy replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 8:31 AM

Thank you, Brigit-Carol. If I did double up, how would I do that? Could I do the 4 patch squares on a foundation, do you think?

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

Top 500 Contributor
Female
131 Posts
Points 2,300
Tracy replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 8:37 AM

Thanks so much, Carylanne.  I really do like the idea of different shapes, particularly the piano key border - great idea! I won't use batting, because this guy runs hot all the time anyway, but will use flannel for a backing. Question: If I used 1/2" seam allowances, do you think I would still have a problem with mixing flannel and denim? 

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

Top 500 Contributor
Female
131 Posts
Points 2,300
Tracy replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 8:39 AM

Renee, thank you so much for sharing those pics and advice. I love the last one with the two odd blocks on the corners! Do you think I still need to bind if I rag the ends like you did on that one?

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,385
Renee replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 5:10 PM

Tracy, you are most welcome.

No, you do not have to bind this kind of rag quilt.  Once you have all your rows together you just stitch a 1/4  or 1/2 inch around the entire quilt, then clip up to the stitch line all the way around and then the edges will rag.

Here is the video I used to make mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-LQfYXrG_Q

The only thing I did different is that I sewed an X through each quilt sandwich, then I put my rows together.

Good luck with which ever pattern you decide to do.  I know you boyfriend is going to love it because you made it for him.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,327 Posts
Points 46,255

I did a rag quilt with denim and flannel.  It turned out great! The main thing was to sew a X in each squares. There is no need for batting so it goes fast.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 100 Contributor
Female
653 Posts
Points 16,575

I would use a foundation.  But from what I'm reading from others here, it appears they have had good experience just with single layer flannel then sewing an X in each square.  Much easier than doing foundation piecing.

Please post pics when you get it started and/or done.

Brigit-Carol

Top 500 Contributor
Female
131 Posts
Points 2,300
Tracy replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 8:37 PM

All of you ladies have been most helpful, I really appreciate it. And yes, I WILL post pics when I've gotten going on it. Right now, I am busy putting together my new sewing room (YAY!), and have put myself on a strict  "no sewing" ban until I am finished. My poor bedroom has been taken over by all this paraphernalia! I currently have two quilt tops to sandwich, quilt and bind for my two grandchildren in Kentucky (ages 4 and 1 month), so that needs to be finished before I start Greg's, but you should see something before the end of October! ;+)

Thank you all so much! Keep those thoughts coming, I love it!

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

Top 500 Contributor
Female
123 Posts
Points 2,200
Sherry replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 10:22 AM

my first quilt was exactly this same pattern (not denim) but i really enjoyed it and it was easy-peasy> have fun and welcome.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,295 Posts
Points 413,979
gini replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 12:31 AM

i've made two denim quilts out of jeans.  i reinforced the seams with top stitching, because the fabric is so heavy.  double batted them with poly batting, flannel back and tied them.   my kids love them and gave them names.   i have orders from the kids for more.   we used to live in a very cold and drafty house.  after i made the kids their denim quilts they were never cold again in bed.  the quilt tops didn't wear out, but i rebacked and rebound them several times.   one of them burned in a house fire,  the other one is 35 years old and still going strong.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use