Top 10 Posters

Piecing Batting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 70
jurene posted on Sun, Sep 30 2012 8:57 PM

I am making a table runner and don't have a piece of batting wide enough - how can I piece two pieces of batting to make a big enough piece.  Since it is just for a table runner I don't think it would pull apart once the quilting is done.

Thanks

Jurene from Minnesota

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,760 Posts
Points 247,454

Yes I pice batting all the time .I refuse to waste any of it. I have never had any problems

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,119 Posts
Points 110,645

There is a product just for joining batting. It comes in a roll of narrow strips. You butt the pieces of binding against each other, lay a strip of the stuff along the seam and iron it in place. Quilt shops carry it. Maybe even Joann's. I cannot remember the name of this fusible stuff. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 10:42 PM

I read in quilt as you go for this method you do a large or small enough zigzag stitch to piece them together should work as well.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 10:51 PM

I piece batting all the time. Mi used to zig zag it but now I use the batting tape.  Connecting threads carries it.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 10:59 PM

I have zig zagged and just ordered batting tape with the $10 gift certificate I won from fab shop hop. I use all my scraps. 

Top 75 Contributor
1,486 Posts
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 6:24 AM

I zig-zag my batting pieces together.  I have the tape but just can't seem to make it work.  When I try to get the pieces to butt together and put the tape on to press it, the 2 pieces won't stay together.  Maybe I'm just a klutz......The tape holds very well but when the two sides aren't together and leaves a bit of a gap, I get frustrated.   Maybe it's an OCD problem with me...hehehe

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

I love the tape.  I did learn that I need to overlap the batting so as not to get a gap

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,295

Here is what I do to get the fuzing tape to work when joining batting so I don't get gaps.  Lay the two pieces of batting to be joined together with an overlap. Then  cut through both layers of the overlap simultaneously with a long straight edge and a rotary cutter. Carefully remove the top layer of overlap so you can see both edges of batting along the edge to be joined. Draw registration marks that cross both pieces of batting across the edge where they join. Now you can remove the peice of overlap that was on the bottom. Apply the fuzing tape, lining up the registration marks. There should be no gaps, and no lumps.

This method also works to zigzag together smaller pieces of batting with no fuzing tape. I zigzag together small pieces of batting for my practice free motion quilting sandwiches. All those practice FMQ sandwiches gets expensive.

Denise Smart

Top 200 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,625

I use "Heat Press Batting Together" tape and love it.  I agree batting is too expensive to waste and all the scraps come in handy for practice pieces and small quilted projects.  I sell lots of the HPBT tape.  It works wonderful!

I would love to learn how to use a zigzag stitch but everytime I tried it, my feed dogs ate my batting.  :~(

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use