Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Hi Suzy--

I'm a little late weighing in on this discussion, but couldn't agree more with the opinions you've gotten so far.  Here's my example of a quilt that I thought was awful all the time I was working on it because nothing "goes together".  In fact I kept referring to it as "Scruggly" because some of the fabrics in it are really ugly and I purposely put it together randomly with no plan for matching anything.  Once it was done, however, with FM quilting in each large square, I've decided "Serendipity" is a more suitable name.  What do you think?

Kissimmee, FL

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,483
Points 176,833
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 10:17 AM

Yep, you are right Joyce, came together beautifully!  Good job!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 10:38 AM

Joyce ,I love it it's beautiful ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 395
Points 6,745
Phyllis replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 11:45 AM

Joyce I love this quilt! 

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

I'm sorry that your daughter doesn't understand or enjoy your scrappy bow tie fabric choices. Not everyone appreciates scrappy quilts or quilting in general!  Continue with the quilt,  finish it and keep it for yourself or give to another family member.  I know someone will love your scrappy and the effort you put into it.  Can you maybe make 2 small quilts and donate them your local cancer center or nursing home?  If you're dead set on making a quilt for your daughter pick out a few (3-4) coordinating fabrics and make her a different one later. 

Piece, Love, Quilt

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 735

Joyce it is GREAT. I think of scrappy quilts as being conversation pieces....kind of...."look at this fabric....oh, but look at this one!"

When I used to make my clothes, I didn't use patterns - always just made my own (used to cut my own hair, too!) - I guess I'm just a true non-conformist at heart.

(My house is very eclectic, too)

I am going to post some pictures of quilt "starts" that I have going now - you'll see what I mean in those blocks.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 735

So, this isn't a finished block - it's a couple of blocks (the triangles) that got trimmed too small and I was playing around with them and testing out some stitches on a new machine. The center blocks are like the ones I am working with....very slowly as I wasn't too good at keeping the block sizes uniform when I was squaring them up.

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,120
Lindsey replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 7:43 AM

This is super! Your daughter doesn't know what she is missing!!! Keep it for yourself! Lol!

Happy stitching, Lindsey

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 780
Teresa replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 7:54 AM

Sue, I agree with Lindsey, your daughter doesn't know what she's missing. I will go another mile and say your daughter does not have an eye for quilting. I love it and if she doesn't want it, I'll be happy to take it off your hands!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 20,275

Also, Sue, your yorkie is adorable!  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,818
Points 43,819
Eileen replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 8:09 AM

Sue, these are pretty - very "soft" colors!  So, they are not to your daughter's taste. That doesn't make them ugly.  I know what you mean about "second guessing" - just hang in there & you'll develop more confidence in your choices.  I hope you finish up the blocks like this - they will make a nice quilt :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,483
Points 176,833
Marie replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 9:01 AM

Sue, I love your colors as well, very nice blocks.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Sue--

I love what you've done with these.  The decorative stitching  in the corner squares is a great accent.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 632
Points 9,395
MaggieNae replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:24 AM

These are super cute!  I see where you're going with this and I like it.  Your DD may be crazy if she doesn't care for this.  Have you had her tested?   Dose she have a fear of blue?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:40 AM

Hi Sue,

You just send that quilt to me and I will love it with all my heart!!   lol

Seriously all scrappy quilts are beautiful and yours will be too    So don't let anyone else discourage you from finishing your quilt. 

Happy Quilting

from TN

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use