Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 10 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 735
SuzyCraftMaker Posted: Sat, Sep 29 2012 3:40 PM

I cannot seem to get beyond the first few blocks of a quilt because I start questioning my fabric choices.

I recently started doing a bow tie quilt - kind of inspired by the venture into a crazy quilt from men's ties that I have not finished - and was really GUNG HO.

I took out my first 12 blocks and showed it to my 35 year old daughter (I was thinking of giving it to her). She hated my choices. Didn't "get" why I would think of mixing calicos with paisley, etc.... I wanted a scrappy look. Kind of just lots of different bow ties in different fabrics.

SO...looking for some experts to chime in here (I have a poster that says "there are no mistakes in quilting") and help me avoid making an ugly quilt.

Do I fly with my idea and then just have a unifying block throughout that is the same very neutral color?

Ideas?

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,230

suzycraftmaker:
I took out my first 12 blocks and showed it to my 35 year old daughter (I was thinking of giving it to her). She hated my choices. Didn't "get" why I would think of mixing calicos with paisley, etc....

If you are going totally scrappy, don't worry about the patterns. Using one fabric for the background throughout will pull everything together. It is really hard to please someone else in the initial stages of selecting fabric. They can't visualize what it will look like or don't like an individual fabric. Some of the most beautiful quilts I've seen have used really ugly fabrics when viewed alone.

Make the quilt however you want to. Please yourself first. Sign it on the back and write how all your love went into making it for her and how your love will keep her warm. Maybe include a photo, printed on photo fabric, in the label. How could she not love it!

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,038
Points 369,072
Kris replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 4:24 PM

I agree with Judy.

There's nothing wrong with your approach. You could continue as you originally planned and give it to her anyway. Or, you can keep the quilt for yourself and make a different one for your daughter.Let her help you pick the fabrics. 

Nothing wrong with your scrappy approach. Not everyone "gets" the scrappy thing. 

If you like what you're making then you'll enjoy the process and get it done. It won't be an ugly quilt.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,543
Points 416,999
gini replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 5:34 PM

i made a bow tie quilt with blocks from an exchange.  your quilt will be just fine.   i'll take a picture of mine for you.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,543
Points 416,999
gini replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 5:41 PM

i was remembering two different quilts.  this one had a black and qhite bowtie theme.  someone forgot and made a red one, i didn't have enough and added a couple of flowers.  these  are quilts you are making and  scrappy is good.   i make my quilts for me and don't worry too much about whether others like them.   most of the time.  i have done one commissioned art quilt and i worried a bit over that one.  

anyhoo,  i used black for the alternate blocks.  black makes everything look good.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 6:04 PM

I really like the idea of a scrappy quilt the best, maybe with a common background.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,709
Points 248,377
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 6:52 PM

I agree with Judy too - don't worry about what it looks like till you have it all together - paisleys and calico's look great together - I only ever watch my values - I don't worry much about patterns on the fabric when I am going scrappy - that is what the quilt police are for and I haven't met anyone yet who wears that badge.  Have fun and if it looks good to you - then don't worry about it - wait till you have it done and I bet she loves it!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 115
Points 2,475
Clare replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 8:35 PM

Hi, I'm probably an oddball but I go with colours, fabrics & patterns that I like, so far everything that I've done has turned out OK and believe me my family will tell me if they don't like it! I don't understand the values and such but just go on my gut feeling. Finish doing it & if you like it thats the main thing, good luck & can't wait to see a pic.

Clare

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 3:51 AM

There are times I hate what I have done, when I'm done doing it!!  I find that the next day, I hang the quilt up or look at the blocks again and I find that I can't remember why I didn't like them.  I never pay to much attention to people who don't like my quilts (or anything else I do)  It is unfortunate that your daughter felt she had to critique in detail.  Give the quilt to someone else or keep it.  A friend had the same problem.  her daughter bought the fabric for the quilt when she didn't like what her mother had chosen.  I'm ok with that if you can stand to work with the color choices someone else made. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 11:02 AM

suzycraftmaker,

Don't get discouraged. I agree with the others....to stay on the course. Bow Tie quilt are almost always scrappy. There are no quilt police out there.  Look at the variation of fabrics in these few quilts and yet, they come together.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 12:44 PM

Suzy, nothing to add except go with your heart.  You did that when you chose the fabrics so it'll be beautiful when it's finished.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,120
Lindsey replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 12:59 PM

One of the first things I learnt about making a quilt, scrappy or not, was to use some really ugly fabric. 

Do you know what? It "makes" the quilt! So there, it's official!

Anyway, as long as you use different patterns, it'll turn out lovely. 

Another tip I've learned from books, is to use dark colours with medium and light. that'll also turn out well.

But if when you've finished, and your daughter doesn't like it, do what everyone else, Keep it to Yourself! 

Happy stitching!

Oh, and have a glass of wine whilst making it, you'll be relaxed and have happy memories of making the quilt!

Lindsey, newbie from Uk, England  :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,837
Points 248,889
Barbara replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 2:05 PM

Welcome Lindsey From the UK.   I agree with what everyone here has said .Scrappies are awesome . Don't let anyone tell you they are ugly ,there are no ugly quilts ,someone will love it.  Scrappies are just about all I do any more . I love them ..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 735

Thanks to everyone. I seem to be someone who really doesn't have an opinion until I hear someone else's. I always question my judgement on everything...

As I look at the lovely examples you have all given me to look at....I think I just need to find one consistent background color and then it will all be okay when it is finished.

Besides...it is the creating that I enjoy and if it never actually becomes a quilt - I think I'm okay with that!

Thank you all for making me feel welcome.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 735

Oh Ramona - I love these!!!

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use