Top 10 Posters

pocket for wall hanging

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
146 Posts
Points 3,075
QDancer posted on Fri, Sep 28 2012 8:52 PM

Good evening! I am making a wall hanging for my daughter in law, Megan (sweetest girl in the world) and I need some info about putting a rod pocket on the back to hang. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 9:00 PM

The technical term for that is a hanging sleeve for furture reference it will make your searches online better. From quilters quick reference guide. First a question for you did you allready add binding to your quilt or no? There are two different methods depending on if you did or didn't .

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
146 Posts
Points 3,075

Thanks Carey for the definition!!! No, have not quilted it yet. Is sandwiched and pinned. I thought now would be the time to check on this.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 9:08 PM

Okay since you didn't add the binding the book says cut a piece of fabric the width of the quilt by 81/2". This will yield a 4" wide finished sleeve. Then to hem the short ends of the sleeve fold under a 1/4 inch at each end and then fold under 1/4 inch again. Stitch folds in place. Fold the sleeve in half length wise with wrong sides together. Press. Place the raw edges of the sleeve fluh with the unbound quilt top. When you sew the binding in place, you will be attaching the top of the sleeve at the same time. The raw edges will be covered by binding when it is folded to the back of the quilt. Hand sew the bottom of the sleeve to the back of the quilt being careful to not have your stitches go through to the front of the quilt. Then you are done. You can also just by quilt hangers from joanns they are wooden and hang on nails a set of two is usually what I buy. But some people do prefer the hanging sleeve especially if you are going to enter shows and such in particular.

Top 500 Contributor
146 Posts
Points 3,075

thank you so much, Carey! Clear and precise directions....just what I need! hahha But I will also check out the quilt hangers from joanns, since I visit there quite often. Thanks again.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 10:07 PM

QDancer, here is an excellent tutorial on how to make a hanging sleeve...very specific (and the method I use):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Vd82aSiAA

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,525 Posts
Points 177,388
Marie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 8:44 AM

Great tute, Donna.  I like the gap that's made with this method, thank you.

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
719 Posts
Points 18,075

Many thanks to both of you.  I will be making some quilted wall hangings, and wondered how I was going to make a neat hanger.  These two methods will do the trick nicely.

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 12:40 PM

Your welcome. :)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use