Working with Chenille

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
45 Posts
Points 765
Pat posted on Mon, Sep 24 2012 3:28 PM

Recently purchased a kit which is a Chenille 4 patch.  Is there a trick to working with chenille?  The instructions say to cut each chenille block separately.  Is it best to use a rotary cutter or scissors?  A warning  or piece of advise was to not handle to much as it ravels easily.  Any advice before I tackle this project?

Thanks,

Pat

Pat

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 3:35 PM

Trying to remember how I did it but I definitely did cut one square out at a time with a rotary cutter. Make sure you hold the chenille down better than you would other fabric while cutting. Also I think I remember there is a chenille blade for rotary cutting out there somewhere haven't used it myself. But if you decide to buy it let me know how it works. I just did a basic four patch with my chenille. It does unravel so I would recommend cut out only enough for a few blocks at time and don't try to stretch it out to much while cutting.

Not Ranked
Female
45 Posts
Points 765
Pat replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 3:50 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try.

Pat

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,603 Posts
Points 247,032
Thea replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 3:56 PM

Spray starch!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
640 Posts
Points 9,640

Is this like the knitted Chenille?  I'd like to see what you're working with.

Margaret

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 8:07 AM

you want a fabric that will unravel easily, or it doesn't make good chenille.  If using a rotary cutter, you should be very careful not to slip and cut through all the layers.  Some prefer to use a special scissors, such as used to cut bandages, with a rounded bottom tip that will not poke or cut the skin.  I think they make them for sewing too. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Are you making chenille or sewing chenille fabric?  two different things. If you are making chenille you will need to have the special scissors or cutter, if you are sewing chenille fabric, any stretchy fabric needs special care to avoid stretching. 

Not Ranked
Female
45 Posts
Points 765
Pat replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 7:37 AM

Thanks to eveyrone for your help.  I am working with chenille that came with the kit.  Tried to attach a photo but have some trouble with that.  I do have a pinking rotary blade that I will use to cut the material.  Once I figure out how to post pictures I will.

Thanks again,

Pat

Pat

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use