Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 890
lizbonner Posted: Sun, Sep 23 2012 5:06 PM

I am desperately trying to assure that I have figured a queen size quilt correctly. I have 5 blocks across and 6 blocks down the blocks are 12" finished. So to this point I have 60x72. I then plan a two black sashing measuring 1 1/2" each with 1" sashing strip in between. If I have figured correctly I am now at 65x79. Then adding another 12" block all the way around which should add 24" to length and width bringing me to 89x102 and finishing with identical sashing as before adding 5" to width and length for total of 90x106.

My question is.....Is this an ample size for a queen quilt! I am making this for a doctor's children I will try to post picture in gallery. I have the center pieced together and would gladly welcome any suggestions/ideas. I probably should not have taken this on but now that I have accepted the job I want to make certain that I can rise to the occassion ,,,,,hopefully the nice folks here would be willing to offer some much needed advice.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Liz

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,618
Points 48,375
Debbie-do replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 6:31 PM

Mattress Size

• A standard queen size mattress is 60 inches by 80 inches. To determine the quilt size, take the mattress measurement and add preferred side drop length to the width, and pillow tuck length to the length.

So.. your 90x106 will give you a 15" drop on the sides and 26" drop on the end or about 14" if they plan to cover the pillows with it and tuck a little under.

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 731
Points 18,320

I think you forgot to count in both sides of the quilt for the sashings.  I'm a quilting newbie, so please re-check my figures.  60" + (1.5 +1: +1.5 x2) = 68".  Using this formula, the length would be 80".   Adding another 12" all around ends up 92 x 104.   Oops!  Sorry, I forgot your last border/ sashings.  Add another 8", if you are going with 1.5 +1 +1.5 again, making the quilt 100 x 112".  Pretty large for a queen -- actually only 1" from a king sized. .  Perhaps do a smaller border than 12"? 

According to the Quilter's Reference Tool book, a queen quilt with a 12" drop and 10" pillow tuck will measure 84 X 102",  and one with a 14" drop and 10" pillow tuck is 88 X 104".   A queen bedspread, going to the floor is 102 x 111". 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 9:16 PM

If you haven't pre-washed your fabric and batting, it wouldn't hurt to make it a little larger than you think you'll need.  A quilt can shrink by several inches after the first washing.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 10:18 PM

Probably to large if it that big for a queen size only unless you want the spread size to the floor.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 10:25 PM

Another thing to take into consideration is how tall the bed is.   Some beds are so high you almost need   stairs to get into them.   One of my DD's queen beds is so high that I make quilts for that bed at about 105 x105 to have enough drop all the way around.  When I figure quilt sizes for a specific bed I measure across the top of the mattress.  Then I measure from the mattress down to where I want the quilt to hang. ....  say 15 inches.    I then take the mattress measurement and add 30 in.  to get the side drop.  Now I measure from top to bottom and again measure the drop to figure the length.   It is really rare that I have had a pattern come out to the size I need without making some modifications.

My king size quilts usually measure 115' square up to 120" square.   Even though most say a 90 x 102 is king size.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 890
lizbonner replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 10:27 PM

Thanks so very much for your help. I am confused I guess. The 60x80 is just the top of the mattress right? I am trying to make it an ample queen quilt but not an enormous montrosity. I guess the part I am unsure of is how much of a drop ...etc. I was planning for the quilt to hit the rail or perhaps an inch beyond but not necessarily floor length.

I know I am needy but I have had 3 strokes which I have "recovered" from but not everything clicks like it used to...so thanks so very much for your help.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 890
lizbonner replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 10:32 PM

Nana,

Unfortunately, I do not know the heigth of the customer's bed or what type mattress she has. I did want an ample size though because these are two young girls sharing a queen size bed so I wanted to make sure it was big for the blanket thief loser to still have some coverage...lol. If you have an opportunity I have posted a picture in the gallery of the center pieced together. My goal was to have the center plus the 3 strip sashing for the sashing to be right at the edge of the mattress and then the block as the border to be seen at the end of the bed as you enter the room with the 3 strip sashing ending the quilt. I am not certain that this is a realistic goal but that is what I had in my head and it can be quite scary inside my head....lol.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 890
lizbonner replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 10:34 PM

I would like it to be very near the floor. I do appreciate your feedback.

I want an ample quilt but not too enormous or heavy...but it is for a doctor and I am doing my best to please her as well.

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 10:35 PM

Liz

Measure from the top of the mattress to the spot on the rail that you want it to hit.   Take this measurement and multiply by 2 to get the drop on both sides.  Now add this measurement to the measurement of the mattress top.   This will give you the size quilt that you need to cover your bed the way you want it to hang.   

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 731
Points 18,320

Have you considered asking the doctor how much she wants the quilt to hang over the side of the bed?  I like mine about 12" so the bedskirt shows, but some want a quilt to be more like a bedspread and hang almost to the ground. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 8:34 PM

Belfrybat

That is me.  I don't like bedskirts.  I get my feet tangled in them...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use