Please talk to me about batting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
735 Posts
Points 18,400
Brigit-Carol posted on Sat, Sep 22 2012 11:02 AM

I'm a tad disappointed right now.  Connecting thread is having a batting sale and my order arrived today.  I ordered Hobbs 80/20 batting.  Nothing was said in the description about how far apart it can be quilted, but according to the bag, only 3-1.2".  Pits.  I thought cotton could be quilted farther apart.  The cheapie polyster low loft batting I get at Walmart can be stitched 4".   

1.  So... what reasonably priced batting can be stitched 5 - 8" apart? 

And, can I push the envelope with the Hobbs 80/20 batting, and if so, by how much?  If I go 5", which is what I need for the nursing home quilts, will the batting be too unstable and end up shredding? 

Thanks from this quilting newbie.

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,812 Posts
Points 248,404
Barbara replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 11:09 AM

BB ,I use alot of Dream Green ,It is very nice batting and alittle bit cheaper, it washes will and drapes really nice , It is made with recycled 2 liter bottles ,It soft and sew really nice. I thas no scrim or resign and you can sew it up to 12 in. I have never been disappointed with it .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 11:12 AM

Belfrybat

I too use the Dream Green for my less expensive batting choice.  I agree with Barbara it drapes well and feels really soft.  Love the way it sews.  Also you can go up to 12 inches between quilting lines if wanted,.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 1:16 PM

I use batting from joanns personally. They have warm and natural and the the polyester ones. I do hear good things about quilters dream and the more expensive recyclable batting.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,309 Posts
Points 26,915

I also use the warm and natural from Joanne's.  I use the 50 percent off coupon.  Last time I bought 24 yards for $172.  I do not like Hobbs.  I love Quilter dream but have not find anywhere to buy it locally in bulk. 

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
735 Posts
Points 18,400

Thanks.  I did buy some Dream Green for a full sized quilt I did but I thought it very expensive (Amazon).  Where do you find it for a reasonable price?  No JoAnnes within 175 miles.  There is a Hancocks 60 miles away, but they had very little in stock. 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,812 Posts
Points 248,404

BB I usually by mine at quilt shops . but I think there are places here online where you can get it .I'd have to look around for sure .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,450
Jacy replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 4:18 PM

Belfrybat:
Where do you find it for a reasonable price?  No JoAnnes within 175 miles. 

if you sign up for Joann's e-mail's they will send you coupons regularly, you can order the batting online with a 40 or 50% off coupon. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,675 Posts
Points 248,592
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 5:35 PM

Belfrybat, I use Quilter's Dream and if I remember without looking at the package I can push my quilting to 8" apart - I use 100% cotton and when I get low I usually buy it by the 20 packages as I don't have any place to store a roll - but when you buy packages from whereever it is that I buy it the more you buy the better the discount.  I had a friend here who used to split the amount with me but she hasn't needed any as often as I have so usually in Jan I go for the big buy - this year I won't need to though as I haven't actually made that many quilts so far in 2012... hoping to do a lot more...

But I really love Quilters Dream since I first used it - once in a while it pills as I quilt with it - but that is maybe 1 out of every 10 packages - and then I just zigzag the edges to stop it.  

I know someone here knows a lot about batting but can't remember who it is - maybe she will see your post and be able to answer you more educationally.  

When I get ready to buy it I usually google Quilter's dream batting and so far haven't had any problems finding that place I buy it from - but like I said to get 1 package is no cheaper then buying from a quilt shop or Connecting threads - but when I buy 10 it is less and when I buy 20 the price drops down to less then $20 for a queen bat... I'll try and find the place again and let you know!  But like I said you have to buy in bulk and maybe you know someone who will go in with it with you - or like me just spend the money for the whole year for your batting quotas... or a couple years worth depending on how many quilts you make a year - I usually make about 20 a year - really slowed down this last year - think I only have finished completely 2 - have about 5 tops done ready to be quilted and a couple that I am working on.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
791 Posts
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 8:11 PM

At Quilter's Warehouse seemed to be the cheapest place I found -- and sometimes hard to find the  size you want, so guess they sell out sometimes, must be the cheapest!  I am handquilting on one now and I love it.  Also bought a Dream Green to try next, like the idea of it being made from recycled bottles!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use