Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 2:46 PM

Caryl, great quilts -  what fun to tell people you have a PhD!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 653
Points 16,575

OK - I. Am. Officially. Impressed.  Your free form qulting is fantastic.  Really can't believe that is your first one.  How much practice did you get in before attempting an actual quilt?  I'm trying to get up the nerve myself.  I absolutely love the first one -- an offset (wonky?) log cabin.  Just my style! 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 8:40 AM

Jacy:

MNnancy:
PHD's?  Projects half done?

Yep Nancy, you guessed right!

Caryl, you're not alone, I have many, many PHD's too. Great job on getting some finished.

Jacy. I love the PhD image. I feel so "learn-ed"

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 9:01 AM

Yes, I like PhD much better than UFO.   And when it is finally finished, you have a degree!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 797
Points 15,925
Sue replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 10:07 AM

Hi Caryl,

Congrats on getting your PhD finished!  Our guild also makes quilts for Habitat for Humanity.  Each person in the house gets one, lately we have been making quillows (quilts that fold into a pillow) for the kids and a bed size for mom and dad.  However, if the kid is under 5 we make a small quilt 

I really like the PhD designation.  Think I'll use it from now on too.  DH got quite a belly laugh when I read him the description.  Thanks for  the morning laugh.

Hugs from the road in So calif ( on extended vacation) instead of the Piney woods of East Texas.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,325
Points 36,575
Linda replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 10:42 AM

Caryl, your quilts look great and I'm impressed with your quilting. Keep it up girl. You are an inspiration to the rest of us. PHD certainly sounds better than UFO. I've just graduated to having PHD's instead of UFO's. How cool is that!!!!

Hugs,

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 2,085
Caryl replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 12:20 PM

OK, so I'm also a little snobby.  My friends have college degrees in something, but I have  many  PHD's in a box.    It's a good opener at gatherings too!   Glad you can use the term.

Piney woods of TX is not far from Austin.  Is that your usual vacation spot?

Caryl in Buda TX

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 12:48 PM

Thats like when our department was eliminated and people would ask what i was doing.  Like I was out beating the bushes for a job,,,, NOT.  I just told them I was into stocks and acquisitions.  and I was,  I was shopping and I was growing plants in my green house.  They never failed to look impressed and left me alone.  some people.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 797
Points 15,925
Sue replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 1:09 PM

Hi Caryl,

No Calif is definitely NOT a usual vacation spot!  The Piney Woods is where we have a house.  We are only here to sell a house, the one I grew up in, but the buyers loan people are taking their sweet time to finalize things.  Escrow was supposed to close on 9/14, but they keep extending it, new closing is supposed to be 9/26, if that happens I will be completely surprised!  It may drag on into Oct, YUCK!  Can't wait to get to the real world.

Guess by now you all know I do not like being in Calif.  You're so right!  Ok, there are some pretty places here but for the most part this place is ........

Hope be leaving soon,

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 797
Points 15,925
Sue replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 1:10 PM

Hey Vivian, that's a great answer!  Love it.  So what are you into now?  More stocks and acquisitions?  Or are you working on your PhD?  LOL

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 2,085
Caryl replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 2:01 PM

Sue, I spent my high school years in Redondo Beach.  It was a great experience, but I didn't stay.  I love to go to San Diego and San Fransisco.    Visits are ok by me!

Caryl in Buda, TX by way of Davenport, IA, San Antinio, TX, Redondo Beach CA and back to Davenport IA.  Then married and lived in Denver, Albquerque NM and now Buda, TX.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 797
Points 15,925
Sue replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 2:18 PM

Boy Caryl, you sure did move around a lot.  I went from the San Fernando Valley to Simi Valley, then retired and traveled for full time in an RV before settling in Livingston, TX.  Learned to quilt in the RV too.  You are not that far off our route back to Livingston, have room for a 24' trailer and tow truck?  LOL

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 2,085
Caryl replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 6:21 PM

Sue,

I'd love to host you but we live in a restricted parking area.  Crestview Camp is just over the field behind the house.   We traveled in a 34' 5th wheel for years, then grandsons came and we didn't feel we should hold the trailer any longer.  The truck was a diesel and prices were going up too.

Have a safe trip home.

Caryl in Buda, TX

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use