rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,385
Renee posted on Sat, Sep 22 2012 9:04 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am just about ready to start piecing my blocks together.  I wanted to know if I should square up my blocks before assembling my rows.  Or should I just wait to I get to the borders and make sure they are square?

Thanks,

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 9:11 AM

Renee you should square your blocks before sewing them together. Also check your rows before sewing them together. You can line them up on your cutting mat and trim off small bits. This will make the rows easier to sew and your quilt should end up square.  

Toledo, OH

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,760 Posts
Points 247,454

I agree with Sharon, square them up before piecing them together . helps with keeping your rows straight .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,490
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 11:21 AM

Renee

It works best if you square up before you sew your rows together.  Very cute fabrics.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,385
Renee replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 11:41 AM

Ok most of the blocks are measuring appox. 13 7/8".   I started of with 5" squares and sewed them into a 9 patch.  

So should I try and make all the blocks 13 6/8"?  If so, how do I do this as the largest square ruler I have is a 9 1/2"

Help!!!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 9:44 AM

Do you have a long ruler that goes across your table with a lip? You could put your smallest block on the bottom and your other blocks one by one on top of it and put a book to hold down the blocks and then square along the line of the book or your long ruler if you have one. I always make sure I have the 12.5 by 12.5 square ruler its the ruler I use all the time and most frequently even for cutting my fabrics for blocks and pieces.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,385
Renee replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 11:11 AM

@ Carey, unfortunately, I do not have a ruler with a lip.  

I gather I am going to have to purchase a large square ruler.   If anyone know of any sales on square rulers from 15" x 15"  up to 18" x18" the information would be appreciated.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
719 Posts
Points 14,055
Sue replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 12:15 PM

HI Rene,

Definitely!, by all means! square up each block before sewing into rows!  I would square each block by itself, all to be the size of your smallest block, which you have first squared up, then do the rest, one at a time. Your quilt top will be much easier to put together if you do.  

Check Hobby Lobby dot com for coupons, up to 50% off.  You will have to search around the site to find the coupons. They many times have quilting items on sale.  The only drawback is that you can't use the coupon on sale items, but...it is a wonderful place to start.  Second would be Joann's dot com, they also have frequent sales on quilting supplies plus you get 10% off with your QCA membership.  Or if you haven't gotten your card yet, show your quilt guild membership card for 10% off.

You can also check at WalMart for quilting supplies, depending on your store, some of them still have fabric departments.

Lastly check your LQS for square up rulers.  They will be the most costly at the LQS, but they most likely will have everything you want.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

On the road in So Calif

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,123 Posts
Points 411,179
gini replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 1:26 AM

renee, you can use the lines on your mat and a long ruler, it doesn't need a lip.   if two adjacent  sides aren't square, square them up.  put them in the lower corner of your mat on 0/0  then go to the other two sides and trim them to the size of the smallest block, and make sure they're at right angles, too.    press the blocks first to make sure they're flat. 

say your smallest block is ten inches.   square up two sides, do this with the lines on your matt and the long ruler.  then,  line up the two squared sides in the lower left corner of your matt (if you're right handed) on the first line running up and down, and the first line running back and forth   then lay your ruler on the 10 inch line vertically and cut, next lay your ruler on the 10 inch line horizontally and cut.  careful to lift your ruler so you don't shift the  block.  if it does shift, put it back on the lines where it belongs.    easy  -peasy.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use