How do I quilt iron on applique?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
31 Posts
Points 575
Robyn Smith posted on Tue, Sep 18 2012 8:38 PM

Needing your suggestions my fellow longarmers...Customer quilt has layers of iron on applique and I am hesitant to start quilting it.  I plan on using a titanium needle and possibly an all over design because some of the areas of applique are not secured.  She is a new quilter and I want to encourage her to keep going so I want to quilt this the best I can...any suggestions?

Thank you!

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 9:47 AM

FYI there is a longarmers share group on this website and all the groups are free incase you have trouble getting a reply here you should join that group and post it there as well, Sorry I have never longarmed but thought I would share that advice for you.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
31 Posts
Points 575

Thanks Carey,  I couldn't figure out how to post a new item in the longarm section, took my chances here and well, no other responses except yours.  I figured it out and got the quilt done. Thank you for posting to my question.

Robyn

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,328 Posts
Points 241,672
Thea replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 4:24 AM

Robyn, I am not a long armer - but I know as a quilter if I was to take a quilt to you that had applique on it that was not secured down that I would expect you to secure it - I have never done this but have had friends do it - and what I have seen the long arm quilter do is a small straight stitch all the way around the applique and then they have echo quilted around that - if there is a specific design that or lines through the applique that they would need to highlight then they have done that - I have never seen them do an all over stitch on the applique though - but I do suppose you could do that.  

I wish you luck - something I would be scared to death to do is quilt someone else's quilts - but I used to take mine to a LA quilter all the time.  I have specific ideas of how I want my quilts quilted now so try and do them myself.  In the beginning I had no idea how to do it so depended on my LA to make my quilts shine and for the most part she did.  

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use