Top 10 Posters

Help Finding a Sewing Table <$300

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 170
Alexis B. posted on Tue, Sep 18 2012 5:52 AM
Hi! I'm in the market for a sewing table that fits my disiblity fixed income budget! I've been shocked at how expensive sewing tables are, and have only found a few options that are under $300. I live in Vancouver, BC, but can pick stuff up from my sis in Portland if I need to. I just need it to be a table that's sturdy and hopefully big enough to support quilting w/o shaking and has a lower spot so that the machine bed is flush with the top. If anyone knows of any, please post a link. If anyone has one of the ones I saw on Jo-ann's, please let me know how it is and how well it works. The reviews on all the tables are so mixed, some stating one shakes, while the next person says it's super sturdy, confusing me like crazy! I thought I'd come here for first hand accounts to know what is best for my poor needs. Homespun Gidget Cabinet Sewing Table 6701 $110.00 http://www.joann.com/homespun-gidget-cabinet-sewing-table-6701/prd40405/ --- Sew Essentials Quilter's Design Table $161.99 http://www.joann.com/sew-essentials-quilter-s-design-table/xprd1134127 --- White Sewing Table w/ Wheels $179.99 http://www.joann.com/white-sewing-table-with-wheels/zprd_10485050a/ --- Thanks so Much! Alexis

Alexis B. of Surrey, BC

Canadian, American, and future Israeli!

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 6:25 AM

Alexis

I don't have any experience with any of the tables you have mentioned.  I will keep my eyes open though and if I spot anything I will be happy to pass the info on to you.   Have you tried Craigs List in the Portland area.  You can sometimes find really good deals there.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 170
Suggested by Barbara
Yes, Craigs List has sewing tables, sadly they all are very broken, old singer tables! I have yet to find a more modern option that has a good workspace. I could always just get a normal desk or table, but I really wanted it to be able to hold the sewing machine lower so it's flush with the rest of the table. I keep looking on Craigs, but haven't found my table yet. I may give up and get one that isn't sunken, but it's hard for me since I'm short and not super healthy, finding my current desk not comfortable to use. It gets physically odd since I have to keep my feet flat as possible to sew well, while still needing to be taller because of the machine's height is above table. Not easy for 5'1" me! Again, thanks for posts, and super thanks for keeping eyes on the lookout. *Huggles* Alexis

Alexis B. of Surrey, BC

Canadian, American, and future Israeli!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 6:48 AM

Alexis 

Do you have anyone available that does any type of wood work.  The older sturdy desks make great sewing tables and you can get a hole cut to fit your machine and mount a support shelf at the height you need for your sewing machine.  Good luck on your hunt.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Alexis I found a fabualous sewing cabinet with double extension tables at a used store ,thrift shop ,for 50.00  have you checked any of those . I just had a man come it and make the opening in the cabinet alittle bigger to fit my machine. but you mihgt look aorund some of these stores.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Alexis, I have the Gidget II table by Arrow that I use for classes and retreats.  It is very sturdy and does not vibrate overly much.  It has wheels to help in transporting it.  I ordered the custom cut acrylic insert so that my machine would sit flush with the surface.  The whole purchase was just over $200 including shipping, and it arrived at my door within a couple of days.  I'm very happy with it.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,809 Posts
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 8:35 AM

Alexis, if you need a big space to support a quilt while quilting it, you can always look for a folding card or "banquet" table to put behind a sewing table when you need it.  I started with a very small table with an opening for the machine and put a 4' folding table behind it when needed for quilting. Good luck finding the right set-up for you!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
654 Posts
Points 16,580

This is what I have and I absolutely love it.  The table isn't very large, but I use a 2 x 4' folding table behind it when I need to support a quilt plus a TV type table on the left side (I only do lap sized at home).  It is very sturdy and doesn't shake any more than my dining room table used to.   http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Sewing-Cabinet-Gidget-Table/dp/B005U6W1LA/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1348220018&sr=8-10&keywords=sewing+table

Brigit-Carol

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 4:27 PM

Do you know anyone who is handy with nails, hammer, etc. Keepsake quilting has a plan for sale for 15 bucks I do not know how much the supplies you will need will cost or if you know of a friend. You could try estate sales you never know what some previous owner had before.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,237 Posts
Points 239,627
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 5:38 PM

Check your used furniture stores in your area and antique shops - I have seen a lot of sewing tables at these lately - or watch the estate sales - I have found you can pick them up rather inexpensively at those sales.  

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use