basting and hand-quilting on silk

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 25
PaulineBB posted on Mon, Sep 17 2012 9:19 PM

Hello!

Does anyone have experience basting a silk quilt?

I'm doing some whole-cloth pieces with some older (vintage, I guess) silk and wonder if anyone can offer some advice before I start. I'm hesitant to put my usual basting pins in it for fear of leaving little holes. Is this a time for spray basting? Has anyone basted with silk pins?The batting is the thinnest loft cotton and the backing is cotton too for a little sturdiness.

Thanks for any advice or warnings!! The silks are really beautiful but old and I worry they are a bit fragile!

Pauline

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,106 Posts
Points 410,854
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 10:27 PM

hi pauline, welcome to the group

i foudn this on youtube               http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67qFmelpKS4

is your top already pieced?

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

I bought silk pins by accident once. Very fine, those might be what you want.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 4:31 PM

Alex Anderson has done quilts made from silk.  I'll see if I can find out any tips.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110

I haven't forgotten about your question--still looking for answers.  I hope to hear from someone soon.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 25

thank you!

I have tried the silk pins on a smaller piece and aside from a lot of stabbing my hands, they seem to do the trick... I guess there is only one way to find out if they would work basting a large piece...

Didn't try any of the fusible backing stuff though. Seems like that would be better for small pieces of applique.

Thanks for anything else that anyone discovers

p

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use