Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 3:50 PM

These are all amazing quilts , someday I would love to do one of Jenny Beyers quilts  they are just stunning. and she does them all by hand. I don't have the patience for that , but oh they are beautiful .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

What a beauty

Denise Smart

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 9:52 PM

Frances,

My favourites are log cabin and drunkard's path and I've already crossed those off my list of things to make.

I want to make a pickle dish quilt and a hexagon quilt. I have fabrics ready just need to find the time as I plan to do both by hand. I have many quilts I want to make and will attempt them all. Not sure I'll finish though.

Frances:
Well heres mine its from a book called Mennonite Quilts and Pieces i have always loved it i dont think i could ever make one its a Broken Star.

I like it. I've made something similar, just the centre part, also done by hand and is waiting for quilting. You can do this. I know you can.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 1:25 PM

Kris:

Frances,

My favourites are log cabin and drunkard's path and I've already crossed those off my list of things to make.

I want to make a pickle dish quilt and a hexagon quilt. I have fabrics ready just need to find the time as I plan to do both by hand. I have many quilts I want to make and will attempt them all. Not sure I'll finish though.

Frances:
Well heres mine its from a book called Mennonite Quilts and Pieces i have always loved it i dont think i could ever make one its a Broken Star.

I like it. I've made something similar, just the centre part, also done by hand and is waiting for quilting. You can do this. I know you can.

Kris,

I dont know about the pickle dish, but the hexagon quilt although it does take a long time, if you work and get a break, i find that in 15mins i can baste or join quite a few hexagons the plus point at my place of work is if anyone asks what im doing i tell them and ask them if they want to help, it clears the staff room in about 5 mins, more space for me. Kris if you are going to Branson i plan on taking my hexagon one there to work on (as i wont be taking a sewing machine and dont want to break someone elses).

Any chance i can get to see a picture of your similar broken star. If i can climb out of all the projects im part way through i might even try one.

With you and Gini giving me a push, how can i go wrong.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 11:47 PM

Hi Frances,

My star quilt is posted in my blog. The pickle dish is like the double wedding ring with little triangles in the arcs.

I kinda want to make the "Insanity Quilt" by Rhonda Pearce but not sure if I want to be that ambitious. It has ten thousand half inch hexagons!

I've taken only hand work to the retreats I've attended and will more than likely do the same for the Branson one as well.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

I've made several Lone Star quilts and they aren't that hard. In fact, my first large quilt was a lone star. I haven't made a broken star, but it is the same principal as the Lone star. Like Gini says, an accurate 1/4 in seam is the key.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 1:30 PM

Kris:

Hi Frances,

My star quilt is posted in my blog. The pickle dish is like the double wedding ring with little triangles in the arcs.

I kinda want to make the "Insanity Quilt" by Rhonda Pearce but not sure if I want to be that ambitious. It has ten thousand half inch hexagons!

I've taken only hand work to the retreats I've attended and will more than likely do the same for the Branson one as well.

Kris,

I love the pickle dish design, i can see why you would like to do that one, and you are insane to want to do the insanity quilt, although i love EPP, half inch hexagons are way to small for me to deal with. but since i would like to do even a lone star i may well EPP one.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 1:32 PM

Elaine Phillips:

I've made several Lone Star quilts and they aren't that hard. In fact, my first large quilt was a lone star. I haven't made a broken star, but it is the same principal as the Lone star. Like Gini says, an accurate 1/4 in seam is the key.

Thanks Elaine, it all comes down to that accurate seam, so i may EPP one since i know that, that is accurate for me.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 2:07 PM

Frances:

gini:

frances,  these aren't that hard.  your 1/4 inch seam has to be right on,  so work on that.  you do these in strips.   

Gini,

I think youve just hit my problem area "the 1/4 inch seam has to be right on" my seam is never right on. LOL.

lots of love

Francesxx

Frances, I have a Lone Star ready to quilt that I did at a Retreat in Spring 2011...with an instructor because I too was afraid to tackle one but had been loving them from afar.  It was done with batik jelly rolls and contrary to what Gini said, because of the shading and variations in the batiks, seams that were off did not show up at all.  Believe me, mine were not perfect...by a long stretch!  And, it still turned out pretty darn good!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 7:19 PM

Frances:
and you are insane to want to do the insanity quilt, although i love EPP, half inch hexagons are way to small for me to deal with.

Frances,

I won't be doing any EPP since I hate that method. I'll just sew my seams the regular way. No commitment made yet.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 8:09 PM

Frances:

Okay, Do you have a favourite quilt, one that you think oh i wish i could make one like that, but maybe you think you never could, one youve seen in a book, magazine or at a show?

Lots of love

Francesxx

Hi Frances,

I don't have a favorite quilt but I have seen so many pictures of quilts on this site that makes me think that I would love to make a quilt like that. I want to try appliqué some day soon and am slowly collecting supplies needed for this and just bought the last tool I should need to get started. If you haven't already you should check out the Appliqué group.  They make me want to make a quilt with those Wildflowers..

Happy quilting

from TN

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,002
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 8:17 PM

I don't think I have a favorite quilt anymore - I love the double wedding ring and have now made 4 of them - they get easier and if you master the 1/4" seam you can do most anything.  Everytime I see a new quilt that interests me - I just delve in and make it.  If you have patience, and can follow instructions - if they are well - written - then you can do most anything.  

I just need the time to start quilting all these tops that I have - I keep getting interested in a new quilt and hang those tops that are finished on hangars - someday!  If anyone would like to trade making quilts for quilting them - I would be interested in the making quilt part...teehee...

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 10:48 PM

Bev :

Frances:

Okay, Do you have a favourite quilt, one that you think oh i wish i could make one like that, but maybe you think you never could, one youve seen in a book, magazine or at a show?

Lots of love

Francesxx

Hi Frances,

I don't have a favorite quilt but I have seen so many pictures of quilts on this site that makes me think that I would love to make a quilt like that. I want to try appliqué some day soon and am slowly collecting supplies needed for this and just bought the last tool I should need to get started. If you haven't already you should check out the Appliqué group.  They make me want to make a quilt with those Wildflowers..

Happy quilting

Bev,

I have already joined the Applique group and am making the Wildflowers, Gini is a great teacher and she makes everything very clear, but i am very slow (Gini will verify this)  i always am the straggler at the back of the group. but unless a miracle happens and i finish it before March then i will take it with me to the Branson Retreat so i can work on it there.

lots of love

Francesxx

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use