Top 10 Posters

Which came first, the fabric or the design?

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 29 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 9:15 PM

Annie:

Donna B:
Take a look at my gallery...and find the "LQS Ugly Fabric Quilt"  heading.

Donna, See what I mean?  I think the fabric was quite pretty, not at all ugly.

Did you zoom in????  How could you miss the pink and aqua hearts on black along with orange stripes, lavender florals, etc.  All in one little lap quilt...ROFLOL!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 9:26 PM

yeah Donna, there is some pretty ugly fabric in there, but you certainly made them work well in the quilt.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 9:41 PM

Patti:

yeah Donna, there is some pretty ugly fabric in there, but you certainly made them work well in the quilt.

Thanks Patti, but I hope I never have to cut up other peoples blocks ever again...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 12:11 AM

Donna, did do a close up and I still like it. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 7:40 AM

Nancy that is awesome, I have never done an ugly quilt but I sure do have some fabric that will fit the bill .  looking foward to your post .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 8:43 AM

Annie

I have begun with the design but must admit that most of the time I seem to begin with the fabric.  I find fabric that I love and then start looking for the perfect design to use it.   I like to use my EQ to design my quilts and play around with different block combinations and arrangements.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 8:51 AM

My family gets really irritated with me when we are out somewhere.  I also see something and say ooohh that would make a beautiful quilt.   Maybe it is a floor tile or someone's shirt or a picture on the wall.  It is amazing how many things will catch your eye and you start thinking about how you can use that design to make a quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,215
Pamela replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 9:26 AM

I begin with an idea. Then, I begin thinking about how I will make that idea a design. Browsing through my fabrics can inspire the pattern or I might browse through quilt books or magaznes.

Maybe you need to get started with something more organized. Do you belong to a local quilt group? Join a challenge, a round robin, or something similar group. Or, start one of your own. I've done several over the years and find that they have helped me to be more creative using my own designs.

One group I belong to created a challenge as follows: Go to the paint store and find two or three paint chip samples that have names that begin with the first letter of your first, last, and middle names. I had to find a P, G & K. We had to create a quilt using fabrics with the colors. Another group had a challenge that provided a selection of fabrics along with some basic rules. I have also done a theme challenge i.e."stars", but the quilt didn't necessarity have to be made of star block - you could do something with a movie star theme. Hopefully, you get the picture.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 11:27 AM

are you signed up at pinterest?   sing up, it's free, and type in my name, virginia howard. i have hundreds of art quilts on my thread to look at.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 12:33 PM

Gini, I tried but there are a lot of Virginia Howards

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 12:35 PM

Pam, I like the paint idea, sounds like fun

Nana, I know what you mean about seeing things differently, with an eye for the next quilt project.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 12:55 PM

annie pm me your name on pinterest and i will try to find you

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 12:58 PM

Gini,

I just found you, Boy oh boy, you weren't kidding about ka-zillion of quilts!  I can spend all day there.  I will follow you for sure.  But don't look at my board, I have barely anything.  My kids make fun of me.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 10:48 AM

It depends if there is a certain someone you are doing a quilt for or an event or you have an idea in your head thats been bothering you it is usually the design first then fabric. However, sometimes the fabric does come first if you don't have anything in your head or event that sometimes plays a part in your imagination on how to design. I have tons of ideas but no idea how to put it in use lol.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 10:56 AM

I really like the quilt university classes that make you think like color choices and ones that make you take a block like a pinwheel or lines and let you play around and design your own blocks or designs that way. They may not be technically original but they are your own original as you have never seen it somewhere or done it before yourself. Somewhere that makes you start thinking and doing things differently is a good start. My own designs started off pretty basic but are my own designs even though thy are not fancy lol.

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use