Top 10 Posters

Rotary Mat has a funny smell

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 605
newquilter58 posted on Thu, Sep 13 2012 5:16 PM

Hi,

I recently  purchased a new rotary mat and when I got it home, I noticed that it smells funny.  Any tips on how to make it smell better????? 

Thanks

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
797 Posts
Points 15,925
Sue replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 5:26 PM

I'd take it back and get a new one!  The price of this stuff is too much to get inferior products.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 605

You're right, I should take it back.  The only problem is that I live about 47 miles from where I purchased it.  Bought it on a day trip with my firends. 

Top 100 Contributor
797 Posts
Points 15,925
Sue replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 5:44 PM

Call them, maybe they will send you a new one and you can send the old one back.  If the company is any good, they want the good will.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 605

The mat came from Hancock's Fabrics.   Also, what type of mild solution would you suggest??????

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,262 Posts
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 8:13 PM

I wouldn't clean it because then your stuck with it if it doesn't work.  IMHO I would call Hancock's, tell them the problem and let them suggest what to do.  Too expensive not to have what you paid for.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,720
Answered (Not Verified) Nana replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 10:07 PM
Suggested by Carolyn (CarolBeau)

Mix a little baking soda and vinegar and wipe the mat with it.  Then wipe off with a clean dry towel.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 605

True, I really need to give them a call.  I don't  like to leave a piece of fabric laying on it because I'm afraid it will smell funny.  They are expensive. They can be pricey even with a coupon.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,356 Posts
Points 31,985

Many products that are made from re-cycled plastics have a 'strong odor'.  It reminds me of the lingering odor of skunk.  You don't say what brand of mat you purchased, but you may be able to check the label, or go to the manufacturer's website to see if your mat includes re-cycled plastics.  If it does, that is probably what is causing the funny smell.

The last mat I bought took about six months before I no longer noticed the odor.  I did not try to wash it or clean it to get rid of the odor. I've not had any success with trying to wash away the odor with any other items.  The worst item was a black plastic dish drain. I finally tossed it out.  I guess this is just a by-product of going green.

Max

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 9:06 AM

Gee Richard isn't that amazing.  That's what I said to do way up the posts....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 605

I forgot to mention that my mat is by Olfa.  Will definitely try the solution.  By the way which vinegar should I use.  The white????  Thanks for the advice.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,339 Posts
Points 414,684
gini replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 11:34 AM

we had this  discussion a while back.  someone got their olfa mat replaced because of the odor.  i would take it back where i bought it and ask them to replace it and if that doesn't work, contact olfa.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 9:31 PM

It really doesn't make any difference which vinegar you use.   It is the combination of the acid in the vinegar mixing with the base in the baking soda that helps get rid of odors.   You liquid wil bubble and fizz when you mix it together.  It really does help get rid of orders.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use