Tips on Storage Ideas

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 230
Connie Hale Posted: Thu, Sep 13 2012 11:19 AM

I look for ideas via the internet on storage then I look at my own resources and incorporate as many as possible.  I used two bookcases same size and laid a table top from an auction between them; then I was able to store two tubs holding fabric under the table and utilize the table top for two smaller size tubs.  I use a ping pong table to lay out quilt design and match fabrics.  I had to add a 2d table for a Lone Star quilt.  I have a table behind my sewing machine to hold the fabric as I machine quilt.  I position my ironing board next to my sewing machine at the same height so I can easily move from one to the other.   I added a shelf to an entertainment center and stored all my quilt books and magazines on two shelves.  I painted a 4-drawer dresser a pale blue and use it to store projects.  I sort fabric by the type of project I intend to work on - doll quilts, baby quilts, etc.  I hope these ideas help others.  Utilize the resources you have at hand and shop local thrift stores and garage sales to find good deals on bookcases and dressers.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 11:50 AM

sounds like a great quilting room you have, thanks for the tips

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 225
Tammy replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 10:17 AM

Thanks for the tips.  Right now I am in the middle of remodeling a room for my sewing room.  Any new ideas are useful.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 10:41 PM

Connie, I think you should post pictures!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 230

I did post photos - they are in My Gallery. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 9:32 AM

Connie, One thing about it. If you are having a bad day sewing, you can always play Ping Pong. Win win.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 9:42 AM

I bought some comic book boards and am working on wrapping my fabric on them to help store them better.  I love to be able to stack my fabric in cubbies like books.  It is easy to see and get to.  It is always a challenge to find the best way to store all the stuff we accumulate!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 4:46 AM

I recently purchased a Hang-up home organizer from Thirty One. It works perfectly to keep my current project and upcoming projects organized and I can write what I need to purchase directly on it with dry erase markers. It saves space, keeps me organized and works as a quick reminder of what I need when I go fabric shopping.

Hang-Up Home Organizer

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,347
Points 174,548
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 10:08 AM

Great idea Joy!

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 735

I think a cork board is a MUST have. As I finish a block it goes up on the board until the next one. For my crazy quilt it helps me picture how the blocks are going to look when they are joined.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use