This post has 17 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 3
Points 210
Bill e Bear Posted: Tue, Sep 11 2012 12:15 AM

Good Morning all,

I am new to the hobby and the site.

I am lucky to have an amazing partner of 18 years who when we were looking for a new house found us one that I have a home office, but also have about 500 square feet of open basement space that is raw and waiting to be built out for rmy hobbies.

I have already made spaces for my jewelry making, scrap booking and cake decorating. Now I need to design my sewing and quilting area. I would love any advice onto what furniture and equipment to put in my space.

I am looking forward to communicating with you all and learning from you.

Big hugs

Bill-E-Bear

Blooming Grove, NY

• | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,247
Points 254,337
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 2:12 AM

Welcome to the site Bill, there are lots of suggestions that you can find for sewing rooms - do a search on the home page and you will find where we have all posted about our sewing rooms... a friend Helen from Canada and Judy from up north USA both have wonderful pictures on there where they remodeled their sewing rooms... awesome Ikea furniture.

Welcome again and look forward to seeing some of your quilts.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:23 AM

Welcome Bill.   I hope you enjoy your time with us.   Such fun designing a sewing area.   Especially when you have a blank slate to start with.   I recently purchased a Kangaroo and Joey table and chest for my sewing machine as well as the Dingo cutting table and storage chest.   They are both great pieces and I love them to death.   Good luck on finding pieces for your area.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,176
Points 15,260
Dawn replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:42 AM

Welcome!  You will love this site and the quilters here are all very helpful.  I googled sewing rooms and looked at pics.  I have old kitchen cupboards and an old desk for my sewing room.  It is in a bedroom so I also have a closet, which I hope to put in shelving in the near future.  Enjoy!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 7:09 AM

Hi, yourself, Bill. Welcome to the fray!!

There is a book about creating your quilting room or some such thing. Look at Amazon. I would tell you exactly, but a friend has the book right now.

Have a great time designing and don't forget to keep a space on a wall for a design wall. Fons and Porter makes one  I just use a plastic tablecloth with the flannel back. Fabric sticks to flannel. It is a Godsend when you are making a quilt to put your blocks on to see if you like the layout. And keep a camera ready. It so helps to "see" how your fabrics go together. Be sure, when you are ready, we have tips forum that has tons of info.

Again, welcome. You can learn a lot here and have tons of fun. This is a great place to learn, laugh and, sometimes, unload frustrations.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,658
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 8:13 AM

Hi Bill, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,470
safrmaz replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 8:41 AM

Welcome Bill :)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 200

Good morning my husband wishes i could just settle for one area for a sewing room I use my whole upper part of our split level home but I love it as he loves his hunting.  I'm sure you'll make your sewing room fit your style in no time it will be YOUR niche. Welcome I've been a member for a while but haven't been active on the message boards much till now so I'm almost a newbie to... sure we'll have a good time here.... Tammy    

THIS LADYBUG QUILTS......

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,792
Points 420,639
gini replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 9:46 AM

hi bill welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:51 PM

Welcome Bill...I wish I had 500 square feet for a hobby room...I only have about 90 square feet.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,872
Points 181,818
Marie replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:58 PM

Welcome to our family Bill, enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,166
Points 387,662
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 3:13 PM

Welcome Bill-E-Bear.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,535
Points 31,305
Diana replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 3:37 PM

Welcome Bill,   I hate to admit that I have a whole apartment in my basement for a sewing studio.  I can even have company for a sewing sleepover.  It was built for my BIL and was empty for a year after he passed and DH said "why don't I take it over for my sewing".  He didn't have to say it twice....lol  I have some pics on  my site, so if you just click on  my name, you'll be able to get to my gallery and check it out.  Of course, don't go looking under any of the other beds in the house....LOL

Diana in East Tn.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,631
Points 24,960
Susie replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 3:46 PM

Welcome Bill!

I will be of no help in the planning.  I have an old kitchen table in my living room that I use.  And my tubs are in the dining room.  Some day, I will be able to have a real sewing room--but only for storage.  I like sewing in the living room.  Since I'm single (except for my kids & grands that live with me), I don't have to share my space.  Maybe when I grow up and move out into my own home I can have a space.

Anyway, you will have fun getting to know everyone.  They have all been so helpful to me!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 5:12 PM

Hi Bill!  Be sure you plan for plenty of fabric storage - be it shelves or drawers.  You'll soon be collecting yardage, fat quarters and other pre-cuts, and scraps!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.