Presser feet!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 4 verified answers | 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,313 Posts
Points 18,420
erindipity posted on Mon, Sep 10 2012 3:52 PM

I just bought a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 and it has 18+ feet and accessories. I've read the instruction manual but I am still confused as to when to use certain feet. So far I love the new machine and all the stitch options but don't know about all these feet. I know it sounds stupid but I am kind of overwhelmed!  Is there a book or website that you have used to help you with learning what all the feet do?  I've been to singer's website and done searches but I'm still at a loss.  I'd LOVE to find something with photo and description of what each foot does....Thanks in advance~ Erin

UPDATE:

I picked up the The sewing machine accessory bible by Gardiner and Knight and it is a great book! It's answered questions I didn't even know I had...LOL Thanks for input everyone.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 65

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,062 Posts
Points 29,120
Answered (Verified) Ramona replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 5:06 PM
Verified by erindipity

Erin,

I have all those little feet with my Viking machines and only use a few of them. Edge joining, edge stitching, regular sewing and, of course, the 1/4 inch.  Will the dealer give you some  free classes on the different feet if you bought the machine there? Maybe someone else can help.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Points 1,830
Verified by erindipity

If you go to http://www.wpt.org/sewingwithnancy/  Nancy Zieman has a series of videos (Fancy Footwork) that demos a number of different presser feet.

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 25
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170
Verified by erindipity

Hi Erin, 

I have been trying to respond to you since you posted,hopefully this one will make it. A book from Sewing With Nancy called Fancy Foot Works actually shows and discribes each foot for modern sewing machines. 

hope it gets through,

Judylee

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,334 Posts
Points 20,045

Hi Erin ~

I have the same exact machine and the user manual that came with it has a description of what each foot is for.  However, an easy way to tell is that when you select the stitch, a letter will appear on the screen.  That letter identifies the foot you should use.  Many of the feet have the letter stamped on them.  However, for some, you'll have to go to the user manual and check the photo to be sure you have the right foot.

The 1/4 inch foot is the clear one with red lines on it and I use it for the basic stitch (A or 1 or A1 I think).  I can tell you that much by heart, since it's my most-commonly-used foot.  For the other guys, I would need to get home to my machine or get to the manual online.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.  I've had this machine for a few months now and am starting to get used to it.

All the best,

Carolyn

Raleigh, NC

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,062 Posts
Points 29,120
Answered (Verified) Ramona replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 5:06 PM
Verified by erindipity

Erin,

I have all those little feet with my Viking machines and only use a few of them. Edge joining, edge stitching, regular sewing and, of course, the 1/4 inch.  Will the dealer give you some  free classes on the different feet if you bought the machine there? Maybe someone else can help.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,313 Posts
Points 18,420

Hi Ramona- I bought the machine online (I live in rural southern Ohio) so no dealers close by to get classes from. My problem is that I don't know if the straight stitch patch quilting foot is a 1/4 inch foot or something entirely different! LOL  I know what the general purpose and satin stitch foot are for, but otherwise CONFUSED!!  I'm checking out amazon now to see if there are any books that look promising. The machine will tell me what foot to use for certain stitches but I am still new to all this and not sure what stitch/foot to use for what job! Times like this I wish I lived in a big city where classes are offered :/ 

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Points 1,830
Verified by erindipity

If you go to http://www.wpt.org/sewingwithnancy/  Nancy Zieman has a series of videos (Fancy Footwork) that demos a number of different presser feet.

stitcheraz

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,561 Posts
Points 139,563

Erin, I found a link to download pdf instruction files for all your feet. Hope these work for you. http://www.singerco.com/sewing-resources/presser-feet-help

It has a picture of the foot and instructions on how to use it. You can start a new folder in your documents labeled Singer Feet and download them into that folder so that they'll be easy to find. I see they have quicktime videos to watch as well.

Hope you enjoy your new machine!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,313 Posts
Points 18,420

Thanks for the replies. I've finally compiled a word document with pics and info on each foot I needed it for. No one page had all I needed but it finally worked out! :)

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170
Verified by erindipity

Hi Erin, 

I have been trying to respond to you since you posted,hopefully this one will make it. A book from Sewing With Nancy called Fancy Foot Works actually shows and discribes each foot for modern sewing machines. 

hope it gets through,

Judylee

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,313 Posts
Points 18,420

Thank you JudyLee~ I will go look up that book now.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,334 Posts
Points 20,045

Hi Erin ~

I have the same exact machine and the user manual that came with it has a description of what each foot is for.  However, an easy way to tell is that when you select the stitch, a letter will appear on the screen.  That letter identifies the foot you should use.  Many of the feet have the letter stamped on them.  However, for some, you'll have to go to the user manual and check the photo to be sure you have the right foot.

The 1/4 inch foot is the clear one with red lines on it and I use it for the basic stitch (A or 1 or A1 I think).  I can tell you that much by heart, since it's my most-commonly-used foot.  For the other guys, I would need to get home to my machine or get to the manual online.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.  I've had this machine for a few months now and am starting to get used to it.

All the best,

Carolyn

Raleigh, NC

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use