Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 925
Tamra Posted: Sun, Sep 9 2012 8:24 AM

I am a newbee quilter and needed a portable ironing board to carry back and forth to quilting class and a ironing board to fit on my sewing table.  Looked around at alot of different stores and found nothing, so home I went and put on my thinking cap.  Well I came up with this.  I took a finished pillow case, 19 1/2 wide by 31" length and found some corrugated cardboard from a shipping box, the lids on the box measured 10"wide by 19" length, so I put them together and measured out a total width of 19 1/2 wide and cut both pieces exactly in half, inserted both halves into the pillow case, they both butted against each other and fit perfectly, and the great part is that they fold in half to make carrying your portable ironing board anywhere.  Hope this tip helps alot of quilters.

Happy Quilting

Tamra

Tamra

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Good idea!

MelodyP

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 8:38 AM

HI, Tamra.  Did you check out June Tailor. There is a square and block board with measurements that is padded to use for ironing. It would be a bit heavier than yours as it has a board for stability. It also has a handle for carrying. I wonder how long your cardboard will last. If it doesn't, this is another option.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 320
Points 4,485
Ally replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 9:01 AM

Your cardboard might burn if it gets to hot, you may want to use some insulated batting that they use for potholders around it to prevent this.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 9:17 AM

I have a board from Creative Grids its A4 size its a self healing mat on one side and a pressing mat on the other its great when i cant be bothered to get out the ironing board (which is frequently).

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 10:26 AM

Frances:
i cant be bothered to get out the ironing board (which is frequently).

do they fold up??  I can't remember mine ever being put away!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 10:41 AM

I have a portable board that DH made for me years ago for a take-along.  It's a 20" square of 1/4" plywood (a scrap piece).  Covered one side with some pieces of scrap batting(2 layers) then cover it with ironing board cover fabric you can buy at Joann's (it comes in yardage).  Staple it to the back and there you are.  Then he put another layer on the back of flannel so it's also used as a design board next to the sewing machine and the pieces won't fly around.  Put a couple holes in one side and put a rope handle or make a handle that can be tied for a handle.  It was cheap to make and I use it all the time.

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,407
Points 415,669
gini replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 10:44 AM

i fold a thick towel in half and use that for small projects i do at home

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 12:15 PM

Vivian :

Frances:
i cant be bothered to get out the ironing board (which is frequently).

do they fold up??  I can't remember mine ever being put away!!

Vivian,

You obviously love yours more than i do mine, mine is always folded away and never comes out unless its really essential, its in early retirement.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 12:21 PM

Frances

Mine is always setting up under the window behind my sewing machine.  Of course it only gets used with sewing projects....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 12:41 PM

Nana,

If my family see the ironing board up they will think its there for ironing clothes and that will never do.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 12:43 PM

Hy husbans asked if my iron could iron his shirts,  I said of course not.  thats what the drycleaners are for.  I wash and dry them, the drycleaners irons them   Course now that I'n not working, I'll do them myself.  Someday.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 925
Tamra replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 6:06 PM

Thank you so much for the tip, I will definitely get some of the insulated batting and add to my board.  This board is the perfect size so that it fits on my sewing table next to my cutting mat.

Tamra

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 925
Tamra replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 6:23 PM

Hey Ally, I just ordered the insulated batting and thank you so much, the insulated batting will work great and if my carboard does not hold up well, I can just replace the cardboard as needed, but the batting wil last.

Tamra

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 289
Points 2,715
Pat replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:17 AM

I also have a Board that you can cut on one side, and iron on the other.  I have also found that if  you have a small travel iron that you can keep close at hand, its great.  It's lightweight, and handy, I can put both close to my machine, and it' keeps me from getting up going to my large ironing board, so it saves time too.  

Pat from Missouri

Happy Quilting,

Pat..........In Missouri

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use