Top 10 Posters

Are you going to the Quilt Fest in Austin, TX next weekend??

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,632
Points 48,805
Debbie-do Posted: Sat, Sep 8 2012 10:05 AM

http://www.aaqg.org/show2012/   The more I poke about the website, the more excited I am about going!

September 14th – 16th, 2012

Palmer Events Center

900 Barton Springs

Austin, Texas

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 9:13 PM

I hope you have as much fun there as I had at the Wisconsin Quilt Expo!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,632
Points 48,805
Debbie-do replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 1:26 PM

Me Too!  I've been thinking about taking Friday off and spending the night in Austin so I can go for two days!  I'll probably talk myself out of it though instead of feeding my addiction! ;o)

Southwest of San Antonio

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 2,085
Caryl replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 2:03 PM

Debbie,

have you been to this event before?  Where are you south of San Antonio...I'm just south of Austin?  Do you belong to one of the area guilds?  I belong to New B raunfels Guild.  I'm sure you would enjoy the event in Austin.

Caryl in Buda, TX

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

I'm thinking about going, but since I've never been to something like this, I'm trying to decide if driving 170 miles one way and the cost of a motel room will be worth it.  I looked over the website and it does look interesting, especially Friday's demonstrations.  For those who have been to these kinds of events, what would you suggest for a newbie?  Go or get more quilting under my belt and attend one next year -- figuring there would be one in either Austin or San Antonio. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,632
Points 48,805
Debbie-do replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 3:38 PM

Belfrybat, I was thinking the same thing about Friday's demos!  As a newbie, I would go and soak it all in... take pictures, get ideas... over 60 vendors to shop from too makes it fun!  There's another smaller quilt show in Blanco next month.   I went to the Houston quilt festival when I was a newbie and I was blown away and left very excited about all the possibilities there are in the quilting world.

Caryl, I've never been to this event in Austin but I did go to the show in New Braunfels last month and I've been to Houston and numerous other quilt shows.  I imagine the Austin show will be somewhere in between...?  Have you been before? I'm in Devine and it's 2+ hours to Austin depending on whether the traffic is thick or thicker getting out of San Antonio. I don't belong to a guild, I have to work... maybe when I retire :) 

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

Thanks, Debbie.  I've decided not to go to this one but put the Blanco one on my calendar.  Blanco is a bit closer plus I'm "forced" to drive through Fredericksburg to get there!  I hear Rustling Rob calling to me. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,632
Points 48,805
Debbie-do replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:26 PM

" I hear Rustling Rob calling to me. "  

hahaha... I feel your pain!  I left with a tummy ache a couple of weekends ago!

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 2,085
Caryl replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:53 AM

Debbie and everyone ,

I did go to the Austin Fest.  To me it was just a regular show on the larger side.  Demo's were ones we had at our guild some time ago. 

About the quilts...some of them were fantastic as you could tell by Debbies (your) pictures.  I enjoyed the show immensely  and loved looking at all the talented work.  However, I always end up shopping more than looking.  Like the $7 a yard fabric booth and I always visit with my friend Susan Crenshaw at her booth.  It takes a lot of time to visit with everyone you don't see often.

About questions.  I have some about using this site.   I get the replys as e-mails and read very one of them.  Now how do I give you a reply.  Can I reply as I'm reading or do I need to take notes and go to the OCA site and sign in and reply (as I have done here).  Another questions is how to show you a picture of what I've see or done?  I think I saw a place that addressed this but can't remember where. 

As to what I'm doing:  Cleaning up paper work and doing a scan of things to keep and if I'm lucky filing them so I can find them again.  So off I go to read and copy today.

Caryl in Buda TX

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,632
Points 48,805
Debbie-do replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 5:27 PM

I agree with you Caryl about the Austin fest.  I think it compares in size to the San Antonio quilt guild's show... it may be a little bigger.   I looked at all the quilts, ate lunch and then went shopping.  It's funny the two booths you mentioned!  The only vendor I bought from was the $7/yard booth and I too had a conversation with Susan!  I bought the fabric kit and pattern for the horned toad a few years ago and didn't get on it right away so it still sits waiting to be done.  I would like to do it but it seems my list is long and just got longer last night!  I was down to my last row of vendors when I met up with a lady from work and her friend so I ended up going back to many of the vendors with them... ah the sacrifices we make for friendship!

As to replying to posts, you can't do it from the email... I'm not sure where it goes when you try it that way, but it sure doesn't end up where we can all read it.  If you click on the header in the email it will bring you right to the post on the website and you can reply there by either hitting the reply button at the top of the post (good if you want to quote the writer) or the quick reply at the bottom.

If you want to add a picture to a post, click the little green filmstrip icon and go through the steps.  Be patient once you click to post because it can take over a minute to upload the picture and there's no progress bar.  If you want to create your own gallery go to your home page and click "My Gallery" then the red upload a new project button.

Hope that helps!

Southwest of San Antonio

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 2,085
Caryl replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 9:23 AM

Debbie,

Thanks so much for the information on using the site.  It works!

Now about those horned toads...I made 1 in her class backwards (very first class she taught in Round Rock) and came home and made 2 the right way.  I now am adicted...to buying her fabric and patterns that is!  Yes, I have all but the freebie on line currently and I have them all saved in their own working box and I still have trouble finding the time to concentrate on doing them.  One of my friends suggests setting a day a month to work together to spur ourselves onward. 

I am starting a habitat top for the guild today.  It will be given to the new home owners at the blessing of their home..I make the top from guild materials, give it back and someone finishes it.

Off to work...Caryl in Buda TX

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use