Christmas quilts

Page 3 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 52 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Bandmama - I am also going to take Thea's advise and start in January as well!  As many as I want to make, they are all going to be super simple this year simply because of time constraints.  With it being my first year quilting, I'm sure they will look past that.  LOL

And you are quite right!  We are neighbors!  My favorite quilt shop that I have found is Quilt Asylum in McKinney.  It's a bit of a drive, but holy moses is it worth it!  Do you know of one closer?  There is a couple of small ones in my area, but one of them is ran by an elderly woman who eyes me dubiously and walks 5" behind me and plays 20 questions.  (Honestly, sometimes I just want to be left to my thoughts)  The other one isn't well stocked with recent fabric lines and smells funny.  

Brandy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 104
Points 1,780
Bandmama replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:16 PM

I have a friend who is a big time quilter and she loves the Quilt Asylum.  While you're that way she also frequents Happiness is Quilting in McKinney.  There is one she loves in Wylie called the Blue Ribbon Quilt shop.  They are open sometimes on Sundays.  I hang out at The Old Craft Store in downtown Carrollton so I hope this is not the one you mention above.  I've taken several classes there and gotten to know the owner and ladies who work there.  They have all been super sweet, wonderful and helpful.  I've not had one of them follow me around so I can't imagine.  I like the $5 block of the month clubs because you pay $5, get your block kit, take it back the next month finished and get another kit for free.  At the end of the year you've got a sampler top for $5 and learned some new techniques along the way.  This past year was a basket sampler and a Civil War type quilt.  Starting in October there will be a Halloween sampler block of the month and another Civil War style (or at least it looks that way to me).  They have demos and presentations the day of handouts.  Of course you can purchase finish out kits which is where they "get you" lol.  I still love them.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Bandmama - I will have to check out Happiness is Quilting.  I saw it in my search, I just didn't stop there.  Quilt Asylum just sounded a little more...umm...apt. at the moment.  

The two shops you mentioned are neither of the ones I had mentioned.  For the sake of not bad mouthing them by name, I will keep their names out of it.  It is possible I visited each of them on a bad day, but I just haven't brought myself to go back since.  

I'm going to have to check the shop out that you like!  The block of the month thing sounds amazing!  Especially the Halloween one!!  I like Halloween, and one of my friends ADORES Halloween, so I'm sure she would barter for the quilt if it were a full Halloween quilt.  :)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

I just had to share this.  It may become someone's Christmas quilt, but I saw this on Modabakeshop.com - it is originally supposed to be Halloween themed, but I don't have Halloween fabric, so I chose something fall-like and this is how it came out!  They aren't joined together in the center (it's off and wonky just a little and driving me crazy in the photo, but I'll get over it!), and they are only off by 1/4" !!!!!!!  That may drive some people crazy, but I'm impressed it isn't 12" off!!  

I love it and now the bug has bitten EVEN MORE and...whoa!  Confidence booster, that's for sure.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 6:34 AM

Brandy you will get it figured out , meanwhile the fabric is beauitful ,I love that  pattern ,I don't know why I haven't used it more myself , I think your block looks good .  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,652
Points 136,017
Leslie replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 8:50 AM

Brandy, looks great to me, but I'm not a perfectionist.  Everything I do is always a little off, just gives it character.   Love the colors

[Ava, Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Barbara and Leslie - Thank you!!   This week I am dog sitting for a friend and staying at their place.  My sewing machine is, I'm sure, crying because I'm not there to make use of him.  (Yes, my sewing machine is a boy and his name is Ruby).  

Seriously, though, I'm having withdraws.  This morning I ran by my house after I dropped my son off at school and grabbed the above simply because I wanted to have it with me.  I'm ridiculous, I realize, but I won't get to sew until Saturday at the earliest, and on Sunday I have a commission piece that I have to get done (that I haven't started).  

I'm going to go lament while I work my day job.  Happy Tuesday everyone!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 7:51 AM

Oh, I love the peach with the other fabrics.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 8:09 AM

Brandy ,you are not ridiculous, I would be doing the same thing. we are just quilt junkies . and I love it .  Have you tried the Fab shop hop ? they have over a hundered quilt shops listed where you can get fabric and what ever . they also do a shop hop and people win things all the time ,we have had several winners form this club. Its free to join and fun to do  www.fabshophop.com I think this is the address ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 8:09 AM

I would love to try this pattern.  Do you know the name?  I checked the modabakeshop but couldn't find it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 8:13 AM

Jean I think it is a spider web block  ,but I'm not 100% sure

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Jean - here is the link!  I actually found it on Pinterest first and when I read how to do it, I was HOOOKKKEEEDD!  I was playing with it and thought about doing some wave-like patterns with it!  I have new fabric that just came in yesterday and I'm trying to decide what pattern to use, and, even for a beginner like me, this one is fairly simple, so I may attempt to adjust it just a smidge for bigger stripes and have three stripes instead of 4.  We will see.  When I get to my home computer, I'll post a photo of the new fabric!  It is very sunshine-y.  It's for my manager and I'm considering making a little blanket to match for her pup.  (Last year I made her a scarf and made the pup a matching one.  And she even let the pup wear it!) http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/10/spiders-and-webs-quilt.html

Barbara - I will have to check into that!  I haven't heard of it, but it sounds right up my alley!  And I'm so glad I don't sound ridiculous to you all!  I feel ridiculous, but just having the squares here and able to touch them is bringing me a lot of comfort.  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 104
Points 1,780
Bandmama replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 8:35 PM

The shop hop is one of the most addicting things ever (next to being in my sewing room and playing of course).  I've spent hours finding that bunny and even won a few prizes along the way.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 104
Points 1,780
Bandmama replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 8:40 PM

Brandy,

You have to stop by The Old Craft Store and check them out.  Tell them Lucy sent you or let me know and I'll meet up with you some Saturday.  The Halloween quilt is the 3rd Thursday of the month club and it starts in October so go in with your $5 big ones of call them and reserve your block.  The first block is a black cat pieced (no applique) on an orange background.

Here's a link to what the finished quilt will look like.  Funny Barbara should mention the FabShopHop because that is where this moda design came from.

http://www.fabshophop.com/clubs-halloween-sampler.asp

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Lucy, I will definitely meet you up there one Saturday, or, if you want to do the Halloween quilt, I will meet you up there (provided it is after work).  I want to learn new techniques, and I think applique is going to be my next giant that I face off with.  I have watched youtube videos and it doesn't *look* that hard, but when it comes to *doing* it, it may well beat me.  :)  

I'll let you know what Saturday works for me.  I have to catch myself on a weekend after I get paid.  I briefly looked through their website and they have some fabrics I want to check out!

Page 3 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use