Page 1 of 4 (53 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 52 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) Posted: Sat, Sep 8 2012 9:41 AM

So that I don't start a new thread for every quilt that I am making for my friends and family for Christmas, I am just going to put them all here! I just started cutting last night, so not much to show yet, but I will post as progress happens! And when I find my camera. That is kinda important. :) 

Brandy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 9:43 AM

i look forward to seeing your pictures

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 9:52 AM

Looking forward to seeing the Christmas quilts.  Are they Christmas themed as well?  I have so much beautiful Christmas fabric, but I have yet to make a Christmas themed quilt.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,561
Points 246,192
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 10:11 AM

Brandy, I look forward to seeing your pictures of your Christmas quilts - I have made a Christmas quilt every year since I started quilting.  I have enough Christmas quilts now to decorate my whole house and almost my sons...teehee... and I still make them - I just finished the top for the one this year called Snowmen A-Z - I have to get it quilted yet - but the top is done - i am going to quilt it after I make my Halloween quilts for this year...another teehee... am working on Sew Spooky.

As Pat asked, are all your Christmas quilts themed for Christmas - or are they Christmas gift quilts.  I do those too for my family - the one present that they absolutely love - which surprises me with my Grand kids - they can't wait to see the new quilt that Nana made them this year and cuddle up with it before they play with their toys - it is that package that they look for.

I start mine in January - it gets really hard to start and finish a quilt in November for Christmas... I am truly excited about seeing what you are going to put together this year... Love this thread.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Patti unfortunately not.  I don't have ANY Christmas fabric yet.  I am hoping to be able to afford some Grinch fabric so I can finally make myself a quilt.  I don't care if I am using it during summer, it is just my absolute favorite Christmas movie and I could watch it all year long! 

So I took pictures with my ipad.  It's not ideal, but it will work until I locate my camera:

This one I am torn on.  My (recently estranged) sister loves elephants, so I picked this up as a remnant.  The brown dots is also a remnant (I love back to school! All the teenagers leave behind plenty of remnants!!).  The yellow is from the quilt I am making for my son's teacher (I'll post that one when it's done).  I'm not sure if I like them all together or not.  Still thinking, but this is what I have on my project board thus far.

And then I have my best friend's pieces.  I just cut these for this picture.  :)

Personally, I am a huge fan of these together.  All of my quilts are going to be very VERY simple.  I'll work on more complex ones next year, but for my first year of quilting, I think I'm doing pretty good.  :)

Hopefully next week I will be able to afford the Grinch fabric and make my own quilt as well!  

Brandy

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

Brandy, these are really great pieces. Simple quilts are so lovely. I just know your Christmas gifts are going to be cherished.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Thea - this is EXACTLY what I want to do for people every year.  It is the ONE thing that I put a lot of prayer into and it is something that someone can curl up in and feel like they are being hugged whenever they need one.  

My oldest niece likes sugar skulls, so I need to find some fabric for hers.  My youngest niece likes purple, green and blue together, so that ought to be fun to shop for (I'm hearing fat quarters call my name!).  

Then there is going to be one for my boss, his girlfriend (my manager - it's weird but it works), my best friend's two kids (one is 2 and the other is 5), and my parents.  (Then the ones for my best friend and my sister that I have already posted).

Now, while my list sounds ambitious, and I'm just starting on September 8th, they are not going to be huge nor are they going to be much more than 6" squares, but I think I'm going to do what you do next year, which is start in January and have amazing quilts by November (so I can actually ENJOY my December).  Plus, I'm looking forward to the after Christmas sales.  :)  On Black Friday, I'll be at Joann's or my favorite quilt store that is an hour away.  :)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 10:43 AM

Brandy, you should upload them to your Gallery.  That way, those who do not read the forums can see them and comment also.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,542
Points 177,608
Marie replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 11:09 AM

Brandy, I'm a match-y match-y person (probably too predictable and boring) so I'd love to see a peach, the color of the elephants in place of the yellow.   Your best friend's pieces are beautiful and will make a very lovely quilt.  No matter what you do, your recipients will feel so so special to receive a quilt made by your two hands and realize all the love you put into it.  So go for it and have fun!

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Brandy:
 I'll work on more complex ones next year, but for my first year of quilting, I think I'm doing pretty good.  :)

Wow Brandy, you are doing really really good. I am very impressed. I have been quilting for almost 2 years and and have only finished 4 quilts. I guess I'm a perfectionist as I am continually pulling out what I just did even though no one would even notice. I can't wait to see these finished quilts. I saw your other quilts on the "Show and Tell Gallery". Just beautiful. I love that you just jumped with both feet. I have a problem with questioning everything I do so I'm pretty slow. I'm looking forward to more posts and pictures from you.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,956
Points 368,377
Kris replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 12:20 PM

Pretty fabrics Brandy. I bought a bunch of grinch fat quarters and a panel to make myself a quilt. I just love the grinch. I would love to see yours when you make it.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Melissa - Thank you!!  I saw the two pictures you have posted and they are absolutely gorgeous!!  I managed - somehow - to start a very small side business of making tshirt and jersey quilts.  It really only feeds the addiction.  :)

Marie - THANK YOU for the suggestion!  I am going to go through my stash to see if I can locate a peach fabric.  I am just not sold on the yellow, even though there is a little bird on the elephant fabric that is yellow, it's just not translating like I want it to.  I am going to keep looking (good thing I haven't sewn anything together!).

Sukochi - Great idea!  They are uploaded!  I love just looking at all the lovely quilts!  There are such amazingly talented people here, and I hope one day to be counted among their ranks.  For now, I'm going to keep learning by trial and error.

As I was staring at my stash, this gem was poking out at me, reminding me of its existence.  It is a quilt that I made from the remains of the first quilt I ever made.  It is also the first free motion quilting I ever did.  It is not finished.  The green line (painter's tape) is where the FMQ ends.  I haven't decided if I want to continue with the bubbles down the rest of it or go with something a bit more simple.  I can say that FMQ is hard core on a regular home machine!  Worth it, but not the easiest thing I have ever tackled.  I'm thinking about finishing this one and giving it to my best friend's little boy.  It is approximately 36"x57".  Perfect for a 2 year old to drag around. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

I didn't think I had any, but I found some!  Peach fabric!  Better yet, my sister likes elephants AND butterflies.  The peach fabric has butterflies on it!  Two in one for the win!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,561
Points 246,192
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 2:56 PM

Brandy:
I am hoping to be able to afford some Grinch fabric so I can finally make myself a quilt.  I don't care if I am using it during summer, it is just my absolute favorite Christmas movie and I could watch it all year long! 

Oh Brandy - where did I see Grinch fabric on SALE - I think it was on Fabric Depot on their sale tab.  I was looking as I have a bunch of it set aside to make a quilt for my son - we always called him the Grinch - I have that and Cat in the hat fabric - and I have been picking it up on SALE... Bought some at a couple stores on my way home from MN after Echo's ballet recital.  I took the long way home that time - didn't change my route at all - just stopped at every quilt shop within 10 miles of the route...teehee... there are quite a few.

Keepsake quilting has a great discount sale going on right now and in January they have a inventory sale where you can pick up fabrics for $3 a yard... Eleanor Burns has good sales on every week... Quiltinaday.com

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 3:01 PM

Brandy, This fabric makes a beautiful quilt. It is wonderful. And the other one you showed is so cute.

Sukochi

Page 1 of 4 (53 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use