Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 250
Donna Smith Posted: Sat, Sep 8 2012 8:38 AM

Hello everyone, Iam anxiously beginning the process of learning to make quilts and I am so excited. I have finished one quilt that was from a panel design with simple added borders so and backed with Minke for my grandson and almost have finished a second one for my grandaughter. These two very simple things have been so much fun. 

So about me. I live in a rural area of the Sacramento Mountains of New Mexico. I have made jewelry for years, and love papercrafts such as quilling BUT last year I met a new friend who had an embroidery sewing machine and fell in love with the possibilities. In November 2011 I stopped into Homestead quilting store in Alamogordo and became a new owner of a Janome 11000 and I have been embroidering ever since. I love the embroidery but want to sew as well. I have been making Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls so this got me back into sewing and now I am learning to quilt. I love the videos that are available here. 

My biggest problem is ..... where do I start. It is all so overwhelming.

Well that is me. Glad to be here. I do alot of reading but not a lot of posting.

Donna Smith

Weed, NM 

Dark Ridge Creations

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Hi Donna, welcome.   sounds like you got the quilting bug. as far as where to start, just jump in thats what I did 10 years ago, I still learn new things every day

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 8:58 AM

Welcome Donna :)

You have been bitten by the bug!  You will learn a lot from this group.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50

Donna,  welcome to the wonderful world of quilting.  I grew up watching my grandma & mom quilting by hand.  I used to think it was so exciting to be able to take the needle and thread and string all the blocks into color sections.  Then to watch them put them all together just floored me!  I didn't touch quilting until my first child was ready to go to college.  She wanted a quilt for her dorm. I had no templates or any idea where to start.  So I bought my first book on quilting and took it from there.  I had no money to afford all the "luxury" quilting tools,  so I improvised.  Everyday items were recycled so I could pursue my daughters request.  I made a bow tie quilt for her and to this date she still has it.  That was 21 years ago and I'm still into quilting.  Not big scale mind you...all my items have been given as gifts...I don't even have one for myself!  But that is about to change!  I'm nearing retirement and I have been collecting any all tools pertaining to quilting so that I will be able to do without having to spend a lot of money.  My husband says I have enought fabric to open my own quilt shop!  Little does he know!!!

I reside in the state of Maryland on what is called the DelMarVa peninsula(this little peninsula has three states on it, Delaware, Maryland, & Virginia).  We lovingly refer to it as the "Lower Eastern Shore".  There are not a lot of quilt shops around here so I have to resort to either traveling 4 hours to get to one that has a huge offering of everything a quilter might need or go online (these I have found to be excellent in helping with any question I may have}.

I will be honest and say that I don't function well in a quilting guild or classroom setting.  I am more of a private person and it's hard for me to open up to strangers.  But I'm sure you will find either one of these to be an excellent choice for yourself!

Enjoy...have fun!  And don't forget the most important rule..."JUST DO IT"!!  You won't be disappointed!

Vivian

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Hey Donna! Welcome! I started quilting January 1st, 2012! I am new here as well and have already found this site to be very very supportive and everyone is just so encouraging and informative! I watched my grandma quilt growing up and just jumped in. At first I was TERRIFIED of cutting faBric until I just got tired of having fabric and a machine, but nothing to show for it. A friend of mine showed me the basics and set me free. It has been an awesome adventure ever since! 

Welcome!

Brandy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,844
gini replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 9:41 AM

hi donna, welcome to the group.  just jump in with both feet.  i wouldn't start with a king or queen sized quilt to begin with.  the most important thing to learn is your scant 1/4 seam allowance.  then go for it.  if you want suggestions for easier patterns, the group here will be delighted to give you some suggestions.  where do you want to start?   do you want to make a quilt for yourself?  or a gift?   decide what you want to do, pick out your fabrics and you're halfway there.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,844
gini replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 9:42 AM

vivian, welcome to the group.   i joined our local guild so i would know when the trunks shows were coming to town and when the quilt shows were coming up.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 10:05 AM

Welcome, Donna and Vivian, glad you could join us.  Enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 12:02 PM

Welcome Donna and Vivian.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 12:02 PM

Welcome Donna.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 12:06 PM

Welcome Vivian.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,209
Points 16,230
Susan replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 1:14 PM

Welcome, Donna ! glad you joined us here at QCA . You will find people very helpful and willing to answer any and all questions. If you want to learn some great tips and techniques, Missouri Star Quilt Company . com  has some great free tutorials that are so easy to learn as she takes you thru each step. Also, if you like her, Jenny, at MSQC, you can get her Quilting Quickly 1 class at Craftsy.Com Jenny is a great instructor and several of us here have taken her and many others classes at Crafty. You can go there and they will give you a brief description of the course, at no cost  until you sign up. The courses are yours forever, and you can access them when ever you like. Hope this helps and good luck with your new hobby. Happy Quilting!    Susan

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Welcome Vivian and Donna. You will love it here. My first quilt was a panel. It was for a baby shower and I just quilted around the animals. That was the easiest thing I could think of. Quilting is definitely addictive. 

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 681
Points 17,090

Welcome!  I'm new to quilting also, and haven't completed my first one yet, but have done several lap quilt tops.   I've found a ton of resources on the internet.  The videos at Missouri Star Quilt are great.  Look up the tube quilt.  Easy peasy but comes out really looking like you are an expert.  Also, there are several groups on this site that I've found helpful.  Actually everyone here has been very kind as I ask a lot of questions.  I'm sure you will enjoy this forum and learning a new skill.

Brigit-Carol

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 480
Melanie replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 4:28 PM

Welcome __donna and vivian....i'm still trying to complete my first quilt..work and dd moving back home got in the way???..so to speak....

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use