Linen in a quilt?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
Female
655 Posts
Points 16,585
Brigit-Carol posted on Fri, Sep 7 2012 4:35 PM

I went by the quilt shop today as they were having a sale.  The owner had a large bag of mixed fabrics to give me for my nursing home quilts.  Most were double knits to use as backing, but there were three pieces of 100% linen in lovely colours.  Can I use linen and cotton together on a quilt top?  If so, should I preshrink the linen as I think it tends to shrink more than cotton? 

And just to brag, I purchased 13 yards of quilt shop quality fabric for a grand total of $46.00!  How neat is that?

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

BB I have used it together ,but be very careful as it streches out real easy. Or at least mine did .  I was making a quilt for a man with his late wifes clothes ,and she had some linen in it ,I ended up putting stablizer on the back to keep it from stretching out so bad. It was much easier to work with then. I don't pre wash so I can help you on that one. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,894
gini replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 9:18 PM

it depends on the weight of the linen.  i've used the heavier linen as backgrounds.  i would pre shrink everything if you are mixing fabrics.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,894
gini replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 9:19 PM

and you got a stellar deal on fabric, way to go

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use