rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) Posted: Wed, Sep 5 2012 9:39 AM

Good Morning Loves!

So I have managed to start a small side business wherein I am making t-shirt quilts for keepsakes for people.  It is not terribly lucrative, but I do it for fun and not for profit.

Anyway, I did one without any stabilizer.  I'm thankful that was a rag quilt because t-shirts, as we all know, are unruly things and there was nothing square about this.

The second one that I am finishing up currently, I stabilized it with Sulky's new product Sticky Fabri-Solvy.  While it has done a phenomenal job of stabilizing it, it isn't cheap.  

My goal on these quilts is to have (a) square blocks (hahahahahaha!) and (b) to have the end result still have the comforting t-shirt-y feel to them.  I am leery of putting a permanent stabilizer on the shirts mostly because I have never used one and I'm afraid it would make it stiffer than I want it to be.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can accomplish this with a lower cost than the Sulky?  I was thinking starch, but I don't know how starch would react to a hockey jersey (that's my next quilt).

Thank you all for your advise and insight!

Brandy 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,116
Points 29,750
Ramona replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 10:45 AM

Brandy,

I have done several t-shirt quilts andI have always used the interfacing stabilizer that you would in sewing garments. It's called Pellon fusiable interfacing. Since you need so much to do a t-shirt quilt this is the best way I have found to go.  Has worked great so far.  

Hope this helps.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Richard, I LOVE this idea!  I've never worked with wonder under, so it will be a new adventure, I'm sure!  This quilt that I'm about to start is for someone who is FUSSY, so I may go this route this time and hope it works out better than previous efforts.  Thanks friend!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 11:37 AM

I have also used the Pellon, with good results

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 11:47 AM

I agree about the Pellon.  That's what I always use and have not had a problem with it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 11:52 AM

Me too - I sometimes use some of my stabilizers from my embroidery too - just to use them up... silly me - took those original classes and have rolls of the stuff that never gets used - so this is a good place to use them...

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 1:20 PM

TheQuiltDaddy:

Brandy I wonder under muslim to the back of the Tshirt as it prevents the shirt from stretching and gives it some substance when quilting.

I had a friend who did one this way and it was stiff. You might try it on an old shirt and see if you like it  before you commit to doing the whole quilt this way.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 3:09 PM

Is the muslim stiff?  roflmao

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Thank you Joy and everyone else for the replies.  I have been hesitant to use a permanent stabilizer that I have to iron in, but I am guessing that I may not have a choice if I want the end result to look professional (or at least not like my 6 year old did it).

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,632
Points 48,805

I used a really light mesh fusible stablizer on the tshirt quilt I made and it worked out very well.  It made cutting a breeze and kept everything square without adding any weight or stiffness.

Southwest of San Antonio

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
nicolls replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 8:38 PM

My question is where can I buy Club America shirt?

home shirt

http://www.footballtshirtuk.com/Club-America-Home-Football-Shirt-20132014.html

I want except home shirt's  away shirt.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use