rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev Posted: Tue, Sep 4 2012 12:09 PM

To all,

I'm saving my pennies so I can buy an embroidery machine. What make/model would you suggest? 

I am a beginner but want a good but reasonably priced machine that I would not want to upgrade anytime soon.

Thanks for any input....

from TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 12:15 PM

I have a Brother PE-780D it is a nice little machine. All it does is embroidery and it has an area up to 5X7. I got a refurbished machine for $800 about 6 months ago. I will say that when I first got it I had tons of problems with the bobbin tension. After much frustration and no real help from the dealer (I could have forced the issue but chose not to) I ordered a new bobbin case and haven't had any problems since. (Knock on wood). The other thing is it doesn't like coats and clark thread which after I figured out is no big deal. I did buy the PE Design software to go with it and I highly recommend to avoid that because there is no real support or lessons and it is hard to figure out.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,603
Points 247,032
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 12:54 PM

I have a couple - shame on me -

I started with a Pfaff - and love my Pfaff - it is the 2170 and when it works is great - it is working right now but I have had many issues with it - it does sewing and embroidery and is quite expensive... then I have 2 brothers - one is strictly embroidery and when I get it out and use it - it is really nice - i think it is the same one as Kelli spoke of but since I moved out of my sewing room and gave all that area to my Mom - it is hidden under a table...

But the one I want to talk to you about is the Brother 270D.  I have one of these and bought one for a good friend... I bought them on Ebay - paid less then $300 for them - I did get the software for my g/fs and it ran me another $100 - but this machine is a little workhorse - it sews and embroiders and is great for a beginner to learn on while you decide if you want to do this - only fault I can see is that it only does 4x4 size - but if I am honest that is the size that I mostly do when I do any - I have the capability with my other machines to do larger ones and if I really got into the embroidery I would probably want one of the really big expensive machines - but being a quilter I just do little designs and not that often.

The 270D has needle down - thread cutters - and a lot of Disney designs that are in the machine already.  It is small and weighs less then 5 lbs I think - it is my machine that I take when I go to classes.  

Design software - I recommend Embird - It is inexpensive and transferable and you do not need a dongle - they help you with anything you need also.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 1:40 PM

Thea, that is such a cute machine! I saw one online at Sewing Machine Outlet for $600. I saw one a machine by Brother on Walmart site that is a Brother Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine SE-$00. Your thoughts on this one....

Thanks

from TN

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 3:16 PM

Don't know your price range, but be sure to get one from a dealer if possible, that way you will have a knowledgeable person to service it and take care of any possible problems.  Also most offer classes.

Check with your local dealer, sometimes they take trades on their Baby Locks.  That is how I got mine an Elegante that even had an upgrade, otherwise could never have afforded it.  I sew and embroider on it. My LQS is always offering classes to teach use of Embroidery Machines (Baby Lock).   Love it!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,603
Points 247,032
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 3:45 PM

I don't usually buy from Ebay but have bought 2 of the 270D machines on there from dealers with 100% positive feedbacks - I was told to watch for that - I bid to $300 and don't go over - the machine is on all the time and you can get it for less then that sometimes.  It is the machine they sell at Walmart for $460...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 4:20 PM

Don't know your price range, but be sure to get one from a dealer if possible, that way you will have a knowledgeable person to service it and take care of any possible problems. Also most offer classes.

The only dealer near me (30 miles away) just sells Bernina and they seem to be a bit pricey but I will check. My Sister goes that way occasionally to shop so I might go with her sometime.

I would hope to get one less than 400 if possible.or is that a joke?

from TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 5:02 PM

I have the Viking Designer SE and love it. I've had it for approximately 5 yrs and have had no trouble with it. I use it for t-shirts, quilts, towels, ITH designs and absolutely enjoy it.  You didn't say if you were going to use it commercially or for home use but either way I would try to get one, within my price range, that has the largest hoops. It seems you always want to do something larger. I'm lucky I have a friend that purchased a Pfaff a few years after I bought my Viking and she has the huge hoops.  She also loves her machine. They didn't have those huge hoops when I bought my machine or I may have considered it. It  just  depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to embroidery quilt blocks or designs on jackets, then you may consider the large hoops. If you are thinking you'll just do labels, children items, towels you may be fooled once you get your machine and see how much you enjoy it.  When you go to the storee, take time to browse through their designs to get ideas on what you may really use your machine for. I would buy from a dealer. You can get your classes, supplies and support there.

You'll also want to check into the price of software when you consider your purchase. I have the 4D and have been very satisfied. I have not gotten into digitizing but thought I would at some point just for myself. They now have the 5D software.  I did work on the machine for about 4 mths before getting the software. Big difference in what you can do once you have the software.

You can ask some questions at this site and I know other embroiderers will help you.  It's a chat site for embroidery and free daily designs. Check out the project section once you register and that will give you ideas on what others are doing with their machines.  I hope I've helped some.

http://www.cuteembroidery.com/

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 5:21 PM

Ramona,

I was thinking about getting one just for the fun of it so I would not want to put a lot of money into it.

Thanks for the info.

from TN

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use