Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 5:08 PM

I use "blue painters tape", lay it down on front of machine and use that to line up my fabric and my blocks come out correct.  Works eveyr time.  Replace when gets ragged or dirty.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 5:32 PM

Joni, Great idea. Thanks.

Sukochi

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 1,455

I have my hardest time when paper piecing..., and that is sewing on the given lines!!! but somehow my block is always 1/2 inch short of what I need...any ideas?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,383
Points 20,740

I have used this method in the past - with regular masking tape.  The only trick I might add is that IF you are not using an extension table, your machine probably has a little "junk drawer" that you'll need to tape over.  I laid my tape over BOTH pieces (machine base and the part that opens up to hold junk) and then cut a slit in the tape between the two. When you open and close your "junk drawer" just be sure its tape lines up with the tape on the base.  That way, you can have a long tape guide, but still use your "junk drawer".

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,383
Points 20,740

Carolyn:

I have used this method in the past - with regular masking tape.  The only trick I might add is that IF you are not using an extension table, your machine probably has a little "junk drawer" that you'll need to tape over.  I laid my tape over BOTH pieces (machine base and the part that opens up to hold junk) and then cut a slit in the tape between the two. When you open and close your "junk drawer" just be sure its tape lines up with the tape on the base.  That way, you can have a long tape guide, but still use your "junk drawer".

Sorry, this method is what I meant in my previous post.

Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 3:48 PM

Jeannie Smith:

I have my hardest time when paper piecing..., and that is sewing on the given lines!!! but somehow my block is always 1/2 inch short of what I need...any ideas?

If the problem is occurring when you are paper piecing the problem is probably that your pattern is printing small.  I always make sure to print an inch scale box with my patterns to make sure they are printed to correct size.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 4:36 PM

The link below is something you can try to test for your 1/4 inch seam allowance.  I've use my 1/4 inch foot and the 1/4 inch option on my machine for the needle placement. (I have a Viking Sapphire 870 Quilt.) I need the 1/4 inch foot as I can't seem to keep the fabric going straight. LOL  This has worked for me. When I started quilting I didn't have the 1/4 inch foot but did have the needle placement option.

A scant quarter inch, if I understand correctly, is just a thread width shy of the quarter inch mark.  I've also heard that every machine has their own 1/4 inch. That's why they don't suggest you change machines in the middle of a project.  Who'd a guessed.  You keep working at it and it'll come. You'll have those perfect 12 1/2 inch blocks with all the points before you know it.

An Easy Method to Test Your Quarter Inch Seam Allowance

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,224
Points 16,470
Susan replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 6:42 PM

Ramona, Thanks for the info , it was a good refresher course for me as I have been having a little problem lately with my 1/4 SA. However, I bought a new ruler and forgot about the slight difference in cutting lines. Also setting the seams with the Iron is throwing me off . So many factors I forgot about. I will try them all .  Susan

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 1:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. Figured it out on one machine and crossing my fingers for the other one.

Happy quilting

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 11:07 PM

jeannie, are you trimming  the finished block on that outside black line or are you leaving a 1/4 inch beyond it?   that is the finished line and you need to allow for the outside seam allowance.

gini in north idaho

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use