Top 10 Posters

Buying a longarm (HandiQuilter HQ Pro Stitcher)

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 68
Points 2,785
Eva Posted: Thu, Aug 30 2012 6:46 PM

Yesterday was the 3rd time I went to look at the Handi Quilter setup (HQ18 Avante and 10ft frame).   16K !  (yikes - that is a car payment).   But I'm getting more and more serious about the purchase. 

Anyone familiar with a recent long arm purchase or this machine?

I'm looking into the computer generated quilting patterns along with free motion and pantograph quilting.   Seems like this machine has it all. 

This will be my first long arm quilting machine - any advice will be appreciated. 

And any advice on making money in longarm quilting for others (I will be financing this purchase and need to pay back the $$ somehow- lol) ?  Do's and don'ts?  What problems have you run into if you longarm quilt for others?   

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 1,995
Bonnie replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 8:02 PM

Hi Eva,

I just bought a Babylock Crown Jewel which is the same machine as the Avante. I chose the Crown Jewel over the Avante because of the price of the software. I love it. I can do FMQ or computerized quilting. I purchased Quilt Motion with the Crown Jewel and 12' Grace Frame. It was going to cost $8000 for the software for the Avante plus the frame and Avante. $18000 was to much for me. The deciding factor was the cost of the software. I spent a total of $13000 with many extras and the bonus of the 48 months 0% financing. I do not regret it! I hope this helps. Whatever your decision, I am sure you will not regret it.

Bonnie B

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 8:11 PM

Eva, my quilter is an older, smaller model, but it's an HQ and I think they make a great product.  For the money, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want the 12ft frame, especially if you are going to do quilting for others.

Hop on over to the "Longarmers Share" discussion thread to meet others with this same machine.  You can also ask a lot of questions about your home business there with gals who are doing it!

(I've linked you to the first LS thread - there are some meaty discussions there.  Admin started a second thread, but so far they've been off topic.)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 68
Points 2,785
Eva replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 2:51 PM

ya - the salesman mention something about the Babylock Crown Jewel --- same machine its just that babylock slapped their sticker on the side of the machine  :) .   I guess Babylock will finance, Handi wont... ????

I have to get the 10' frame because the sewing room is 10 by 10.  I guess I could take off the closet doors and extend the 2 feet in the closet.  lol!  Not sure where else I could put it.  Garage is off limits.... husband is a photographer and thats his studio. 

Thanks for the response.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
betsy01 replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 6:05 PM

I just bought a Handiquilter Sweet Sixteen and debated about all the other Handiquilter machines and felt the sixteen better suited me for my space and my health.  I have read  reviews and talked to many people who have had Handiquilter and other longarm machines and by far everyone said the Handiquilter was a jewel to work on.   

betsy01

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 7:10 PM

Enjoy your HQ Sweet Sixteen, Betsy!  I have a friend who has one and LOVES it!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 744
Points 14,375

Eva:

I have to get the 10' frame because the sewing room is 10 by 10.  

Check the recommendations of the manufacturer for the space needed for your frame. My frame is 12' but that doesn't include the handles for the rollers or the attachment for the computer monitor that needs room to move out of the way to mount the fabric and attach the clamps to the sides of the fabric. You also need room to walk around to the other side of the frame. Maybe it will work diagonally in the room?

Not Ranked
Posts 68
Points 3,105
kmrchr replied on Sat, Jun 29 2013 5:19 AM

I just bought the Handi Quilter Avante without the Pro-Stitcher. The 0% financing deal really did it for me. My mom has a Gammill with the computer so I figured if I really need the computer I can go to her house. I wanted to have my own machine that I could really develop my skills as a long arm quilter with. I don't usually do free motion but I am not afraid of trying. I am considering opening a business of selling small quilts and bags to pay for it as there are many tax advantages. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
pumpivory replied on Sun, Nov 10 2013 7:06 PM

Maybe you can put the frame in the room on the diagonal...

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 895

Betsy01, not to be snoopy but you mentioned your health for the reason you bought the longarm machine you have. I have RA and have wondered about how longarm quilting will affect me?

Thanks, Sarah 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

I bought the HQ 16 to start out with with the thought that I would add the computer once I learned how to move the machine manually  After about 4 years I decided to add the computer but was convinced to upgrade to the Avante 18.  I love it with the computer and the options and the poles are super strong for large quilts  and the service is wonderful. From my quilt shop to the mfg.  I think the Avante 24 is too big and I am a tall woman.  I love quilting for others and am inspired by all of my clients.  I get new ideas with every quilt I do and can encourage the reluctant quilter.  

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Eva. I am originally from Brainerd area.  Where are you located? Do you have a shop or just work from home.  My dad was W L Knudsen my uncle Richard Knudsen   My siblings are JiM. Karl, JOanne Kris and Julie.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 546
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Fri, Nov 22 2013 7:11 AM

I have lupus and RA I just got a baby lock Tiara it is working great for me

Happy

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, Nov 22 2013 11:01 AM

The fusion (24) is indeed a big machine and the reach is long but you can easily see what you have done and can set up for the occasional big block stitching. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I have the Avante 18 (without prostitcher) and love it for my personal use.  It is wonderful for free motion and allover quilting.  It can be used for custom quilting, but the learning curve is big and the time element huge for elaborate tight quilting.   If you want to do this for others, you will need the whole kit and caboodle.  Thinking about adding the prostitcher to mine.  However, I can send out a lot of custom quilts for the cost of it and I don't think I want to be in the business.  Those who are usually have no time to be creative with their own projects.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use