quilt as you go

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,005 Posts
Points 25,020
MelodyP MO/KS posted on Wed, Aug 29 2012 6:25 PM
Do you always start to quilt from the same side when quilting as you go on rows?

MelodyP

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 9:21 PM

I think it depends on the quilting design that you are using where you start and stop on your rows.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,018 Posts
Points 28,450

MelodyP,

I use a longarm machine.  I always start on the left if I'm at the front of my machine and the right if I'm behind my machines, so yes,  it would be the same side.  I believe, if you are working on your home machine and you have the quilt all stabilized, I've heard you start in the middle and work your way out but I could be totally wrong on that. When I did one or two on my home machine that is the way I did it.  I did a meander so it wouldn't have mattered. If you have a specific pattern and your quilt is SITD (stabilized) it may not make a difference.  There are a lot of quilters on here that use their home machines for quilting so I'm sure someone will be able to clarify for you.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 11:15 PM

Melody

When I quilt on my domestic machine I start in the middle of the quilt and then quilt toward the right side and down.   By doing this I break my quilt into quarters and it makes it easier to fit under the machine.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,579 Posts
Points 118,650

Nana:

Melody

When I quilt on my domestic machine I start in the middle of the quilt and then quilt toward the right side and down.   By doing this I break my quilt into quarters and it makes it easier to fit under the machine.

I do the same thing. More or less. With a very large quilt I can get disorientated and meander off course. Kind of the story of my entire existence! LOL 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 12:22 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Nana:

Melody

I do the same thing. More or less. With a very large quilt I can get disorientated and meander off course. Kind of the story of my entire existence! LOL 

Yeah Judy when I do my "tents" I tend to get disoriented and meander off course too.....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Nana you and Judy are so funny. guess I've been lucky have not had that issue yet. but you never know ..LOL  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

Which one?? Wandering off course or quilting a tent?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,005 Posts
Points 25,020
Some of you guy's are a mess, lol. I hope you have your name and addresses attached to your clothing so when you wander off some one can help you find your way back. lol If I were going to quilt traditionally I like the idea of a quarter at a time, thank you. But this is different in that the blocks are in rows and not sewn together until I quilt it. It sounds confusing but it isn't really. I'll figure it out. Thanks

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,356 Posts
Points 31,985

Melody,

I have been working on a QAYG quilt the last few weeks.  I have found the information on the link below very helpful.  This lady works on modern quilts, but the steps are the same.  HOpe this helps. Be sure to click on the words below the pictures to get to the instuctions.  She has these tuts set up in steps so you need to go thru all of them before you start for the best results.

I treated each of my rows as a 'block' when reading her instructions.

Max

http://www.thequiltingedge.com/p/tutorials.html

Not Ranked
Female
18 Posts
Points 640

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one ty get lost while quilting!  My intentions are good to start in the middle and work methodic ly (sp?).

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use