Top 10 Posters

Secret Santa - 2012

Page 16 of 28 (415 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 414 Replies | 31 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

You guys are going to have so much fun with this,  I did the last two years and really enjoyed it.  It just wasn't in my budget this year.  :o( 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 168
Points 3,875
Gerie replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 9:27 AM

Barbara, it's my first I love it, but I'm alos a bit puzzled. Since I'm Dutch and overseas I would like to make a cultural box, but the questionaire didn't have cultural questions in it. One of my favourite things about the States. How all cultures blend way better then over here. It never occured to me that that might be a question for the questionaire next year. Maybe not particularly about culture, but maybe whether people would like to receive a themed giftbox. Anyways, I assume (I do that a lot, assuming) that people who signed up for an overseas package, don't really mind if the package contains "typical to the region" gifts....Gerie.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,830
Points 248,749
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 9:31 AM

Oh Gee ,I'm sure they would not mind at all.  I had a gal from Australia ,last year and I had a great time sending her stuff. and I tired to send her things form this area of the country.  Next year we'll remember that for those that do international folks .thanks for the great idea.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105

I am not signed up for an international box, but my giftee will be receiving a couple of gifts that are unique to my home state, just because I wanted to include something from my area.

Raleigh, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 478
Points 6,090
Isabella replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 10:01 AM

I am waiting to go to the retreat this week to start gathering gifts for my giftee. I already know what I am making, but you never know with me I might find something different and change my mind.

Carolyn:
just because I wanted to include something from my area.

I like this idea Carolyn. The first year I did it, Gini sent me some huckleberry jam from her area and I loved it, it's always nice to get something special that can be found only in the gifter area.

Isabella

Isabella

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

I too am adding a couple of regional delicacies.  How could someone not want things from the Great Republic of Texas?  Well, except perhaps canned armadillo in chipotle sauce! 

Brigit-Carol

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 478
Points 6,090
Isabella replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 11:50 AM

Belfrybat:
Well, except perhaps canned armadillo in chipotle sauce

Please tell me it's not a real thing "canned armadillo" ????

Isabella

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

i can answer that for you

Isabella:

Belfrybat:

If it can be fried, broiled grilled dipped snipped or canned you can get it in this state,, but alas, we do not eat them. But there may be others who do,
  Now in the rain forest it is used to provide necessary protein and soups are generally made to share through out the tribe.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

Isabella:

Belfrybat:

Carly Ann hit the nail on the head -- if it moves and doesn't get you, you get it first. 

As to armadillo - Yup!  Not commercially canned, but friends of mine used to make a killer armadillo in chiptole sauce and canned some.  Alas, now the critters are known to carry leprosy, I don't know of anyone who eats them.  My friends have changed to racoon, but it does not have the same flavour (you know -- it tastes "just like chicken" - NOT!)  I just love Texas!  If it doesn't kill you, then wear it or eat it.

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 12:20 PM

So should we make something for our Secret Santa gift?  This is my first one, and surely want my receiver to enjoy her gifts.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 1:00 PM

Jean,

Its my first as well, i do intend to make something although since im not the quickest stitcher in the world its likely to be a small thing not a full sized quilt.

lots of love

Francesxxx

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

I'll be making mine a mug rug!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

This is my first time as well.  In looking over the gifts from last year, it appeared that about half the folks made something.  I haven't decided on that yet, as I have some really neat purchased-on-sale items that might be more appreciated than something I could make myself.  That's what's fun to me about this -- the pondering, looking, buying vs. making.  And trying to come up with something that is at least close to the questionnaire.  My take from Thea is "anything goes" -- just make it fun for yourself and your recipient.

Brigit-Carol

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 1:43 PM

As to armadillo - Yup!  Not commercially canned, but friends of mine used to make a killer armadillo in chiptole sauce and canned some.  Alas, now the critters are known to carry leprosy, I don't know of anyone who eats them.  My friends have changed to racoon, but it does not have the same flavour (you know -- it tastes "just like chicken" - NOT!)  I just love Texas!  If it doesn't kill you, then wear it or eat it.

Belfrybat...et all

FYI, The armadillo isn't just a carrier of leprosy...they are the only animal known to transmit the disease to HUMANS. 

They are constantly being road kill here in Georgia...yucky!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 649
Points 16,405
Zsofia replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 1:53 PM

Jean:

So should we make something for our Secret Santa gift?  This is my first one, and surely want my receiver to enjoy her gifts.

Jean - Last year I made a casserole/pie carrier and a hanging "file holder". I got a tortilla warmer (my sons love to use it when we make tacos) and a few fabric coasters which we use daily. Nobody expects you to make anything big. I got the pattern on tipnut.com and made a carrier for myself and my friend too. I use mine all the time not just for pies but snacks for my kids and for a "sandwich" picnic... got some complements on it. It should be fun!! There are sooooo many little things you can sew up in a few hours:coasters, hot pads, oven mitts, "fingertip" pinches, pincushions, needle/thread holders etc.(there are lots of free patterns are out there too) But it's all up to you! don't feel pressured.. :) just have fun.

Zsofia

Page 16 of 28 (415 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use