Top 10 Posters

Joke/Inspiration of the Day #2

Page 26 of 59 (879 items) « First ... < Previous 24 25 26 27 28 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 878 Replies | 28 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,482
Points 176,813
Marie replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 7:59 AM | Locked

Didn't know where to post this, it's no joke or inspiration but wanted my "family" to be aware.
THYROID CANCER
On Wednesday, Dr. Oz had a show on the fastest growing cancer in women, thyroid cancer.
It was a very interesting program and he mentioned that the increase could possibly be related to the use of dental x-rays and mammograms. He demonstrated that on the apron the dentist puts on you for your dental x-rays there is a little flap that can be lifted up and wrapped around your neck. Many dentists don't bother to use it. Also, there is something called a "thyroid guard" for use during mammogram's.
By coincidence, I had my yearly mammogram yesterday. I felt a little silly, but I asked about the guard and sure enough, the technician had one in a drawer.
I asked why it wasn't routinely used.
Answer:
"I don't know. You have to ask for it."
Well, if I hadn't seen the show, how would I have known to ask?
We need to pass this on to our daughters, nieces, mothers and all our female friends and husbands tell your wives!!
I just did, now you send it on to your list.
Someone was nice enough to forward this to me. I hope you pass this on to your friends and family.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,875
Points 366,897
Kris replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 2:14 AM | Locked

Marie,

Shows like this really bother me. This info should be given out responsibly by a radiologist or, even better, a physicist who understands radiation dose and its effects.

I'm all for shielding and I use it as often as I can (if the exam allows). I think patients should discuss dosage concerns with the technologist and ordering physicians. Being your own advocate is certainly encouraged. I'm confident that if the patient in this example were younger (especially female of childbearing age) a shield would have been used.

People who are exposed to ionising radiation at a young age have a greater chance for developing cancer later in life because they have a longer timeframe for the cancer to develop if that is the cause. We only know that ionising radiation has potential to cause cancer. There is no threshold dose but the dosage from these exams are very low benefits vs risks are usually taken into consideration before the exam is performed. I know, in my workplace, we try to to avoid x-raying young children. If the exam is necessary we try to take as few pictures as we can.

If a person develops cancer from radiation it probably wouldn't be from recent exposure.

It's a struggle, as a technologist, to find the right balance. We have a responsibility to keep the dose as low as possible.

OK I'm off my soapbox.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 5:08 AM | Locked

It seems like there are always consequences to our choices.  Everything has risks.  Just listen to the medication ads.  But we need to make educated decisions on what we know.   And so often what we "know" now turns out to be a false hypothesis later. 

And I don't like documentaries that raise alarm and use scare tactics to sell the show and fail to give the whole story, or even purposefully omit facts. 

(which reminds me, of all those political adds, or comments from the candidates.  Oh, I am glad that is over.)

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,482
Points 176,813
Marie replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 8:13 AM | Locked

Kris:
OK I'm off my soapbox.

Kris, I'm glad you posted this.  A responsible technologists view on a very serious subject.  The key word being responsible.  I also agree that we all need to be our own advocate, that is the reason I posted that piece to remind everyone to do just that.  I've never questioned my dentist or the tech doing my mamo but I will from now on.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,428
Points 416,059
gini replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:30 AM | Locked

just for comparison, marie

1 bite wing x-ray, you recieve 4 of these yearly at your dental office,   delivers 0 .4 doses of mrem radiation.   you recieve 1 mrem living 2 days in denver or taking one cross country trip in an airplane or one year of watching television. 

a mamogram delivers about 70 mrem, your environment, background radiation, delivers about 200 mrem per year. these aren't exact comparisons.   the radiation delivered by x-rays is targeted to a specific area and not spread throughout your body.   but the bottom line is, diagnostic x-rays for mamos and bite wings, deliver very little radiation.  no amount of radiation is insignificant, but  way more lives are saved through mamos by detecting early breast cancer, than are harmed by the radiation. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,482
Points 176,813
Marie replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:50 AM | Locked

gini:

just for comparison, marie

1 bite wing x-ray, you recieve 4 of these yearly at your dental office,   delivers 0 .4 doses of mrem radiation.   you recieve 1 mrem living 2 days in denver or taking one cross country trip in an airplane or one year of watching television. 

a mamogram delivers about 70 mrem, your environment, background radiation, delivers about 200 mrem per year. these aren't exact comparisons.   the radiation delivered by x-rays is targeted to a specific area and not spread throughout your body.   but the bottom line is, diagnostic x-rays for mamos and bite wings, deliver very little radiation.  no amount of radiation is insignificant, but  way more lives are saved through mamos by detecting early breast cancer, than are harmed by the radiation. 

Thanks Gini, this puts everything into perspective for me.  What's up with Dr. Oz????  Maybe that statement was taken out of context????

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:58 AM | Locked

Marie

When I worked in critical care we wore the badges that measures the amount of radiation exposure because we did alot of portable xrays at the bedside.   In all the years that I worked and stood at bedsides to keep the patient positioned my exposure badge never had exposure.   I think some people just like to scare everyone.  I agree that we need to make responsible decisions but we also need to understand that the stuff we see on TV is out there just to sell shows.  And the "scary" stuff sells more shows than the actual truth.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,428
Points 416,059
gini replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:07 AM | Locked

my badge never showed any exposure either.   mostly i stepped out of the room to snap the pictures, but a few times a month, i had to hold films in a kids mouth, and sometimes on unco-operative adults, while pictures were  being taken.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,482
Points 176,813
Marie replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:50 AM | Locked

Nana:
the stuff we see on TV is out there just to sell shows.  And the "scary" stuff sells more shows than the actual truth.

Nana, that's true and my personality is such that it sucks me right in.  I don't watch Dr.  Oz, the article was sent to me by another gullible gal I hang out with.  :  )  Hope she's not reading this.  If she is she'll get me back, can't wait.  :  )

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,781
Points 67,290
Bonita replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:14 PM | Locked

Some people will believe anything.

So...I'm at Wal-Mart buying a bag of Purina dog food for my dogs. While
at the check-out line, a woman behind me asked if I had a dog. Why else
would I be buying dog food, RIGHT??? So on impulse I told her that no, I
didn't have a dog, I was starting the Purina Diet again, and that I
probably shouldn't because I ended up in the hospital last time, but
that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awoke in the intensive care with tubes
coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms. I told her that
it was essentially a Perfect Diet and all you do is load your pockets
with Purina Nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel
hungry. The food is nutritionally complete so it works well and I was
going to try it again. (I have to mention here that practically everyone
in line was now enthralled with my story.) Horrified, she asked if I
ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me. I told her
no, I stepped off a curb to sniff a poodle's behind and a car hit me. I
thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was
laughing so hard.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,428
Points 416,059
gini replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:22 PM | Locked

too funny bonita

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,875
Points 366,897
Kris replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:27 PM | Locked

ROFLOL Bonita.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,875
Points 366,897
Kris replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:31 PM | Locked

gini:
my badge never showed any exposure either.  

After 12 years my badges have never registered a dose either.

Marie, don't feel bad for sharing this. It makes for good conversation. I usually know when these types of shows come up, my patients ask all kinds of questions and some want to know if they should have the tests or not.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,770
Points 39,140
ls2116 replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:39 PM | Locked

Bonita, I think thats the most I laughed in like a week.  Thanks for that I sure needed that.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:02 PM | Locked

Bonita, I have heard that before.  Even though I knew what was coming, I laughed as hard as the man in the checkout line.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 26 of 59 (879 items) « First ... < Previous 24 25 26 27 28 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use