Top 10 Posters

Craftsy Block of the Month Class #2

Page 20 of 28 (406 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 405 Replies | 23 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,480
Points 244,377
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:37 PM

Jacy, I love your blocks and love that the geese aren't in formation - so so cute!  

I really need to get my last 2 done!  I can't wait to see what you use for a sashing - have  a few ideas of what I would do - have to start finishing mine - maybe tomorrow I will feel like redoing that one block and getting the other done.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 130
Points 2,520
JAP replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:54 PM

I made a smaller quilt.  It measure 44 X 56.  I used Ann Petersen's method for machine quilting each block before joining them.  It worked great.  I am making placemats from the remaining 8 blocks.  I'll post them when I'm finished.  This class has been fun.  I've learned to make several new blocks such as drunkard's path, hexagons, and the dresden.  This is the first time I've quilted in sections and then joined.  It worked great.  I don't think it will work well for some borders though.  It is great to see everyone's blocks and fabric selections.  I'm looking forward to seeing all the finished quilts.  They are all beautiful.

I have a couple of small UFOs to finish.  Then I plan to start my Craftsy class- Quick Strip Paper Piecing quilt.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,500

Jap, wonderful use of the blocks.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,480
Points 244,377
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:59 PM

JAP, very sweet.  I like how your background fabric worked out... very very nice.  I really need to get my butt in gear and finish the last block and redo the one that was too small.

Oh my - you guys are making me feel as though I am not doing anything...teehee... thank you for the eye candy this evening and the inspiration to get up and do something more today!...teehee

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,500

Jacy, it's beautiful! I love your fabrics.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:44 AM

JAP, great quilt.  I really like how it came out.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,781
Points 67,290
Bonita replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 1:20 AM

Jap, great job on your quilt. love it. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

JAP, really love how you did your quilt

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Jacy, love love your colors and your extra blocks you added I would leave the geese makes it unique

[Ava, Missouri

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 704
Points 17,565

JAP - wow!  Love the movement of colours in your quilt.  What is the Jan Peterson method?  I just can't see myself quilting a quilt this large (when I finally get the last two blocks done and the quilt assembled) on my machine.  I know people say it can be done, but the one time I tried a practice piece that was only 24" square, I had trouble manuveuring it.   

BTW, I received an e-mail from Craftsy this moring -- Leah Day's class is 25% off.  Does anyone know if Craftsy ever runs 50% off?  I've been so disappointed by the paid class I signed up for I'm reluctant to buy another even at 25% off -- that is still $30.00. 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

Belfrybat:

I just can't see myself quilting a quilt this large (when I finally get the last two blocks done and the quilt assembled) on my machine.  I know people say it can be done, but the one time I tried a practice piece that was only 24" square, I had trouble manuveuring it.   

BTW, I received an e-mail from Craftsy this moring -- Leah Day's class is 25% off.  Does anyone know if Craftsy ever runs 50% off?  I've been so disappointed by the paid class I signed up for I'm reluctant to buy another even at 25% off -- that is still $30.00. 

Brigit-Carol, I have gotten Craftsy classes at 50% off, but I doubt they will do that with a new class, although I don't know for sure. Leah Day is going to teach you how to quilt the individual blocks and then put them together into the quilt, jn addition to the usual method of making a quilt. I think that is how Jap did hers. Some people refer to it as "quilt as you go".Youtube probably has some videos showing this method. I have quilted a quilt on a standard home machine. It is doable, but somewhat difficult. I know have a machine with an 11" throat and it is much easier.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 130
Points 2,520
JAP replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:21 AM

Thanks everyone.  I did quilt it on a home sewing machine (one block at a time)  using free motion, stitch in ditch, outline, and some decorative stitches.  Leah Day shows the quilt as you go technique on her blog, but Craftsy offers a class Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine by Ann Petersen.  She covers lots of ways to quilt a big quilt on a standard home machine.  I prefer the block at a time.  I have arthritis in the spine so I have to compensate every way  I can so that I can keep on quilting.  I do not like to make full, queen or king quilts for this reason.  I am working on a king size now.  I will take it to the longarm quilter, but I dread attaching the binding.

After making this 44 X 56 inch quilt using the quilt as you go method, I think I'll try making a quilt the size of the craftsy class sampler.  I love free motion quilting, but I don't have an artistic flair that some have.  I have to keep it simple.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 11:08 AM

JAP, I love your christmas quilt, your hexi blocks are great too, I love how you came up with Christmas shapes with them. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 11:13 AM

Thank you all for your kind comments on my blocks. There's a few that I don't care for but overall I think it will be a great quilt for my DD's bed.

I wonder if Craftsy will do another BOM next year, I think it brought a lot of traffic to their site.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 11:19 AM

Belfrybat:
BTW, I received an e-mail from Craftsy this moring -- Leah Day's class is 25% off.  Does anyone know if Craftsy ever runs 50% off?

When I haven't logged in to my craftsy class for a while I get an e-mail saying "we miss you, choose any class for 19.99" 

so maybe wait and see if they will send you a better deal.

Page 20 of 28 (406 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use