Top 10 Posters

Craftsy Block of the Month Class #2

Page 12 of 28 (406 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 405 Replies | 23 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,673
Points 65,760
Bonita replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:58 PM

Very pretty Dara Beth, love the pink fabric.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,464
Points 116,640

Craftsy block on the month for October is up and running already. Paper Piecing.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,273
Points 173,308
Marie replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 11:21 AM

Very nice blocks, Dara, nice job.

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 655
Points 16,585

Question -- I've never done paper piecing before as I'm really new to quilting.  But I have read directions and watched a couple of tutorials and none of them had you perforate the paper ahead of time.  It seems this adds a lot of time to the procedure, but if it's necessary I'll do it for these two blocks (and then never paper piece again!).  Does this help the paper tear off easier?  I can't think of any other reason to do it.  Can someone who is knowledgeble about this method comment on the necessity of perforating the lines on the paper beforehand?  Thanks.

Brigit-Carol

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 5:38 PM

Belfrybat,

The perforation before sewing is something I've not seen before.  I wouldn't bother with it if I were you.  The shorter stitch length when you are sewing will be enough to enable you to remove the paper once the blocks have been sewn into the quilt.  I do not remove the paper until the pieces have been sewn together. Because of the way the blocks are constructed, the outside edges are most likely NOT on the straight of grain.  Leaving the paper on, stabilizes the fabric and keeps it from stretching out of shape.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,478
Points 46,575

I have been playing catch-up. I ordered the drunk templates, lol, and the order was cancelled after a week an a half. I then ordered them direct from Marti's site and apparently they were lost in the mail. They have been re-mailed so I hope to have them later this week. I am not fond of paper piecing so am dragging my feet on those blocks. I did discover that I enjoyed the English paper piecing. That suprised me. Overall, this has been fun. I will be glad to get finished though, I'm tired of the same farics, LOL.

I also have been having a lot of trouble viewing the videos. At home I tried on my pc and laptop, using Explorer, Chrome and Firefox. None of them work very well, but Explorer works best. I tried at work where I have a new, super duper pc and high speed internet ( different company from home). No go there either. I was convinced it was my computers, but now I don't know. Anyway I am not likely to sign up for anymore classes. I know this one was free, but I have paid for several others.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 1:24 PM

Dara,  Pretty block...I'm with you I prefer the larger blocks.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 130
Points 2,520
JAP replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 1:28 PM

I'm catching up.  August blocks are finished.  They are not perfect, but neither am I.   Color combinations and piecing need improvement.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,464
Points 116,640

JAP:

I'm catching up.  August blocks are finished.  They are not perfect, but neither am I.   Color combinations and piecing need improvement.

They look pretty darned good to me. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,273
Points 173,308
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 2:32 PM

JAP, very pretty blocks!

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 885
Points 16,425

JAP - Judy, love your fabric & you did a great job on your blocks.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 885
Points 16,425

I completed the October blocks this morning.  I agree with you all & don't perforate my paper before sewing & I also leave the paper on until it is all sewn together.   Hard to believe these are the last blocks!  Now to put them all together.  I bought the fabric pack they offered with the class & I have quite a bit of it leftover.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,464
Points 116,640

Patricia Faye:

I completed the October blocks this morning.  I agree with you all & don't perforate my paper before sewing & I also leave the paper on until it is all sewn together.   Hard to believe these are the last blocks!  Now to put them all together.  I bought the fabric pack they offered with the class & I have quite a bit of it leftover.

Patricia, these look great. I haven't done mine yet. Maybe this weekend. Who knows, maybe I'll burn the midnight oil and do them tonight.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,273
Points 173,308
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 3:51 PM

Patricia, very nice blocks, good job!  Did you enjoy the PPing?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 4:11 PM

JAP:

Looks good JAP.

Page 12 of 28 (406 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use