Page 1 of 28 (406 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 405 Replies | 23 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 258,015
QCA Admin Posted: Tue, Aug 28 2012 8:31 AM

Hello All,

Due to the high volume of posts in the original discussion thread, I have locked the thread and started a new one. Hopefully, this will help with sluggish website issues. You can view previous discussions here.

QCA Mandy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 8:37 PM

Hey peeps...

September blocks are up on Craftsy!  Yay!

This means I am officially behind again.  :(  Boo!

I really hope I can get completely caught up this month!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 8:41 PM

Claudette:

Hey peeps...

September blocks are up on Craftsy!  Yay!

This means I am officially behind again.  :(  Boo!

I really hope I can get completely caught up this month!

Watching right now but they seem complicated for me anyway....

from TN

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 10:49 PM

I am going to try Amy's method, as I do have Marti's templates but have not tried them yet.  In the past I have used Elisa's Backporch designs templates for these types of blocks, and I liked using them very much.  You can find videos of Elisa's videos here: http://www.backporchdesign.com/video_tutorials.htm - just look for her Sewing Crazy Curves With Pins Video and Sewing Crazy Curves Without Pins Video on this page.  I found them to be very helpful, and less pinning and very minimal puckering if any.  (I was not brave enough to try the no-pin method but some of you might be able to get help from it.)

Here is my husband's cousin Ashley with one of the pillows I made her for Christmas with my templates from Elisa.  Ash is an actress and can sometimes be a bit on the dramatic side.  :)  She assured me she loved her set of pillows very much and just could not contain her excitement!  I may do this design layout again instead of the puzzle block for this month, as the puzzle block really doesn't "do" it for me.  Plus it might help tie in some of my crazier blocks (or maybe it could make it worse...)

Hope you all have a great holiday weekend!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,036
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 12:42 AM

Cool pillow Claudette.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 8:40 AM

Claudette The pillow is great! So bright and cheery. I don't have the templates but have to go to lqs today anyway, so will see if they have them. I was not gonna do this one, Not sure if I can sew a curve.... but I remembered this is a 'learning' quilt. So yes I am gonna try it. :)

Hope you all have a great day.

Deb(Dainty)

Claudette:

am going to try Amy's method, as I do have Marti's templates but have not tried them yet.  In the past I have used Elisa's Backporch designs templates for these types of blocks, and I liked using them very much.  You can find videos of Elisa's videos here: http://www.backporchdesign.com/video_tutorials.htm - just look for her Sewing Crazy Curves With Pins Video and Sewing Crazy Curves Without Pins Video on this page.  I found them to be very helpful, and less pinning and very minimal puckering if any.  (I was not brave enough to try the no-pin method but some of you might be able to get help from it.)

Here is my husband's cousin Ashley with one of the pillows I made her for Christmas with my templates from Elisa.  Ash is an actress and can sometimes be a bit on the dramatic side.  :)  She assured me she loved her set of pillows very much and just could not contain her excitement!  I may do this design layout again instead of the puzzle block for this month, as the puzzle block really doesn't "do" it for me.  Plus it might help tie in some of my crazier blocks (or maybe it could make it worse...)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

My eyes glazed over and I broke out into a sweat just watching her make one tiny patch.  I'm really not sure I can (or want) to tackle 16 of them!   I found a simpler (as in larger patch) way to do these and might go that route instead.  It seems this is supposed to be a learning situation, and I'm afraid all I might learn doing those tiny ones is frustration.  This is the one I'm considering doing: http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DrunkardsPathBlock.html

Four 6-1/2" patches instead of 16 to make a 12" block -- I just think this might work better for me for the first one.  Then I'll decide about the second.  I also really, really, liked Claudette's pillow -- I might just try that one for the second one if I can figure the conversion to a 12" block. BTW, many thanks for the link to the other videos -- will check them out later.

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 12:09 PM

Belfrybat:
I'm really not sure I can (or want) to tackle 16 of them! 

I'm with Belfrybat, I want to learn but...  I also thought the Quilter's Cache block was more "doable"...but did you notice the site is copyright protected?  Can't print, copy and/or paste that page in any way shape or form!!!  I bookmarked your link, so if I decide to use this alternative, I can find it again.  Thanks,

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

Donna B:

Belfrybat:
I'm really not sure I can (or want) to tackle 16 of them! 

I'm with Belfrybat, I want to learn but...  I also thought the Quilter's Cache block was more "doable"...but did you notice the site is copyright protected?  Can't print, copy and/or paste that page in any way shape or form!!!  I bookmarked your link, so if I decide to use this alternative, I can find it again.  Thanks,

According to Quilters Cache terms of use, you can print out the patterns for personal use, and the FAQ gives instructions on how to do that.   If you are interested in reading the nitty gritty, here it is:  http://www.quilterscache.com/TermsPage.html.  The majority of the quilt blocks I make come from that site as I really like the simplicity of her directions, even when the block is fussy.  I'm building up a nice collection of her patterns. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 3:59 PM

Belfrybat:
According to Quilters Cache terms of use, you can print out the patterns for personal use, and the FAQ gives instructions on how to do that.

Well, that's what I get for not reading the detail and just doing it "my way"...LOL!  Thanks for the tip and I will go back and try it!

Winthrop, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340

Don't be intimidated by these blocks!  I was right where you are before I watched Elisa's videos.  If you follow her tips it really isn't hard, you just need a little practice.  I think I did 3 of them before I really got on to her method, but honestly, with a bit of perseverance, you can do it!

And thanks for the comments on my pillow, Belfrybat!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,215

Oh my. I just finished the first one, Chain Block Pattern and have started on Cleopatras Puzzle Block. Let me tell you, I will defnitely not be making an entire quilt out of these patterns.

Plus it would definitely have been easier and more accurate if I'd spent the bucks and bought the templates she suggested. Instead I cut my own templates from plastic. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,215

I finished the Craftsy BOM September blocks. Not a fun project but I was determined to do it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 185
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,900
Points 69,285
Bonita replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 10:58 PM

Judy, you may not have had fun making them but they sure turned out beautiful. Love the vibrant colors and the fussy cut pink.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 11:05 PM

Nice cutting and sewing, Judy!  Your blocks are just beautiful!  So bright and happy!

Page 1 of 28 (406 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use