Page 36 of 38 (566 items) « First ... < Previous 34 35 36 37 38 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 565 Replies | 37 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 238
Points 4,295
Christine replied on Thu, Feb 20 2014 11:51 AM

I get discouraged easily after a day of homeschool.  :~)  My son has Aspergers, Oppositional Defiance Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and is probably Bipolar... throw in hormones and the poor guy has quite the frustrating day... I have to remind myself (hourly sometimes) that he is more frustrated dealing with all these issues than I am.

It's a fight every day to get him through his schoolwork.  We started a membership at the Y to give him an incentive to get finished each day.  I told him if he's done with schoolwork by 1:30pm every day we can go to the Y.  He loves swimming and using the machines.  And I need to lose 50 lbs so it won't hurt me either!  LOL

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,069
Points 29,200
Ramona replied on Thu, Feb 20 2014 4:41 PM

Christine,

He does have a lot going on and yes, it's probably equally if not more frustrating for him. You have a great idea with the Y though.  He seems to love that and that's a great incentive. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
Ullopr replied on Sat, Mar 8 2014 9:53 AM

Hi All:

I am considering a fabric cutting machine that could cut shapes as well as multiple layers of fabric.  Do any of you have experience with this idea or opinions on which one is best for fabric.  I seem to be finding equipment that is first for paper and then can be adapted to fabric.

Thanks, 

Patti

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,213
Points 24,525
Elizabeth replied on Sat, Mar 8 2014 11:56 AM

I love my Big Sot by Suzzix, cheaper than Accquilt but can use the Accquilt dies.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 72
Points 600

Michelle,

i have rented out my machine a few times.  I charge .01 a square inch.  That way there is no question as to what is  twin, full, queen, etc.  I also charge for thread and $1 for a new needle.  Has worked fine so far.

Chris

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 687
Points 13,085

Chris, so you charge just for someone else to rent your machine, but instead of by the hour, you charge by the inch?  That's an interesting way to do it.  I have heard that here in town, if I was to quilt for someone, (quilt by stippling, or free motion,) the going rate is 0.01-0.02 per inch.  If that is the case then, it would be better to rent the machine than do the work myself? Am I understanding it? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 72
Points 600

Michelle,

Yes.   If I rent my machine for .01 I get X , but If I do the quilting, I get 2X , or more if it is custom.

The going rate here is .02 a square inch for stipple, meander, edge to edge, and then .025 - .05 for custom quilting, ruler work, etc. - the more time consuming, the more expensive.  Which then for renting, I suppose if you have an experienced quilter who does more detail, custom quilting,  you may want to charge more than .01 because that person would be on the machine for a longer period of time, or not- because you aren't doing the work and are free to work on your own project - piecing, binding, etc. and you are still getting paid.    I haven't had anyone like that yet.  

When it is your machine, you get to make the rules, or negotiate the price before hand.

Chris

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 687
Points 13,085

Chris, 

How did you get the word out that you were renting your machine? I have cards for our sewing machine refurbishing, should I just add new cards that reflect this info? or do you think just word of mouth is the best for the start? 

Michelle B

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 72
Points 600

Adding to your current cards would be great.  I put a listing on Craigslist with pictures.  Also going to the local craft store that has a great quilting section - I would attend the "Quilters Night" and share with the ladies there.  Once a few people know, word of mouth travels.  I don't want a full time business, so just having a handful of ladies and an occassional new one is perfect for me.  The other upside of it is if there are any issues with the quilt - wavy borders, puckering, etc. - I don't have to deal with it as I would if I were doing the quilting.

Chris

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 601
Points 9,570
Joyce replied on Sun, Mar 9 2014 7:23 PM

Michelle & uaniquilt we have a new LQS I visited and they have 2 long arms you can rent.  She charges $80 for lessons to use the machine & $60 for materials.  You buy your own thread etc.  Then it is $15 a hour to rent.  The lessons are required and so is the $60.  I wondered how long it takes to do a queen size quilt on a LA.  Not sure if that would be a good deal or not.  But then maybe I could finish some of these tops that I have stored.

Joyce

from Maryland

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 687
Points 13,085

I started learning my long arm by renting at a shop here in town. The ones around here all charge $25-$35. They didn't charge to take lessons, but now everyone is doing that.  

I actually was thinking to start renting my long arm, maybe do some lessons to help people plan their quilts and give them ideas on the quilting patterns, etc.  That way i would be giving them something they wouldn't get in the local quilt shop.  Just now to think of a way to market that thought on a card or hand out? 

Michelle B

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 72
Points 600
uaniquilt replied on Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:13 PM

If you just do a large meander free hand, so there is no time spent aligning a pattern on each roll, a queen size quilt should take 1-2 hours at  most.

Chris

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 72
Points 600
uaniquilt replied on Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:15 PM

Our local shops that don't have a longarm in them are happy to post information or hand out a card if someone inquires.   

Chris

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 9:00 AM

Hi everyone. So glad to find this discussion. I'm about to buy a longarm. Have a less than a year old 2013 APQS Lenni demo with lifetime warranty picked out and on hold (refundable) as I secure the funding. Totally new to longarming. I'm sure I will have a miriad of questions as I go along. Oh, I posted to my blog about the research I did: Sharon D's Blog.

Sharon

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 72
Points 600
uaniquilt replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 9:54 AM

Sharon,

i am excited for you!  Another suggestion - go to the APQS web page, click on Forum at the top.  APQS has a wonderful forum page, easy to navigate and a wonderful group that is supportive.  Most own APQS machines, so there is a wealth of knowledge if you have problems, questions about your Lenni.  

Chris

Page 36 of 38 (566 items) « First ... < Previous 34 35 36 37 38 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use