Longarmers Share #2

Page 35 of 37 (542 items) « First ... < Previous 33 34 35 36 37 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 541 Replies | 36 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 237
Points 4,290

Ramona, I have a quilt with a minky backing to do for Thea.  Could you tell me how you like quilting on minky?  It will be my first attempt and I want to do it right.  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 237
Points 4,290

I haven't been able to use my longarm since last June.  (Long story, won't go into here...) But I'm ready to start up again and  Thea's quilts are waiting for me.  I'm glad to see there is a new company taking the reigns, and I'm glad to see this thread is picking up again. 

I have a Tin Lizze 26" on a 12' frame.  I've had it 2 years, but took a long break from it and am getting back to it now.  I've been quilting for years, sewing since I was 13.... so that makes 40 years of sewing. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630

I have only done one minky quilt and it was sprayed to keep,it from stretching. Watch the direction of stretch. One way will stretch more than the other 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 350
Karen replied on Sun, Feb 9 2014 11:17 PM

Hi Christine,  I quilt with minky all the time and love using it.  The best advice I can give is to load it from the selvage edges as this direction is not as stretchy as the other and if you use clamps on the sides of your quilt, don't pull them to tight as to stretch the fabric too much.  If you do stretch the minky too much when the quilting is complete and you take it off the frame the minky relaxes again and puffs up the quilted sections.

Good luck

Karen

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,923
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Mon, Feb 10 2014 9:52 AM

Christine,

I have never had any problems with the minky. Quilts up nicely and makes wonderful quilts.  The biggest advice I can give is to not stretch it too much.  Otherwise, it quilts like anything else.  Let us know how it goes.

Also, great to have you back in the quilting world.

p.s. Having the hardest time getting anything to post. I hope the new changes get all this worked out.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
Ullopr replied on Mon, Feb 17 2014 11:13 PM

Hi there all, 

I hope this was the right place to reply.  I will leave it as a test.

New to QCA and very interested in the Long Arm discussions.

Thanks,

Patti

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
Ullopr replied on Mon, Feb 17 2014 11:20 PM

yay, that worked!

I am seriously considering starting my own business by purchasing a long arm.  The shop I frequent has a Phaff that is actually a tin lizzy.  They would set up and service and train.  I am hoping that this is not just the final sign of my insanity.  I can work up a business plan, what I really need is advice on machines.  The one I have looked at is expensive, but it is a business expense and I think you should get the best you can for a work horse.  It is computerized and has many patterns.

Besides, now I just might finish all those quilt tops and actually make them Quilts.

Talk me out of it???

Patti

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 60
pat.joho replied on Tue, Feb 18 2014 7:41 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Patti,

Make sure you try more than one machine. Go to a large quilt show and try them all. I love my Innova. I spent 2 days at the Paducah show just trying out machines and my machine won hands down. It runs beautifully and if you need it, service is amazing.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,923
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 18 2014 9:28 AM

Patti,

I agree with Pat.joho. Try out several machines. Make a comparison sheet. I have Martha Mae. She's a Gammill Opt plus (not computerized) and I love it. Had it for a couple of years but still consider myself a beginner.  That's because I  use it seasonally.  Everyone is different and everybody is different. You have to find the partner that works best for you.   Even if the business never comes along, getting all those UFO's finished is a big plus and having it handy for those new projects to finish fast is awsome.  Although, you will be surprised how fast your business can grow once you get that machine. Practice on yours and take in quilts slowly so you don't get overwhelmed. I'm sure you won't have any regrets. 

Keep us posted and good luck shopping.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,923
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 18 2014 9:30 AM

Christine,

How did the minky quilt go that you were doing for Thea?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 615
Points 11,735
Michelle replied on Tue, Feb 18 2014 10:00 AM

Patti,

I would also be interested in learning how to start marketing myself as a long arm quilter.  I've had a HandiQulter 18 for 3 years now.  I love using her.  She quilts beautifully.  I didn't get the computerized part as I wanted to learn to free motion. I am starting now to learn panographs and using the lasar light.  I have a separate room that the long arm stays in, which is my sewing room also.  Does anyone have any opinions on teaching others to come use their machine and then charging per hour for the use? I know several shops do this and wondering if that would be also an option? Trying to get a few ideas for this year for a business. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,923
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 18 2014 10:20 AM

Michelle,

I too had considered renting my machine. I mentioned it to one person who I thought would come in to use it and that settled the idea of NOT wanting to rent it. Of course, it was a friend, and she wanted to trade and not pay.  She eventually bought her own machine and has moved to another state. I just chaulked it up to me having become her teacher and helped her make the decision on the purchase.  However, I what I found was that when she was able to come would be a time that I was wanting to start quilting on something myself.  Consequently, I discovered this wasn't a good idea.  I had only one machine. If you have a couple of machines and people were willing to pay, this would work better. You have to figure the wear and tear on your machine, the possibility that they could break something and then you're out of a machine and $$ for a bit. I do have two sets of leaders but that still didn't settle the machine being in use when I was ready to complete a project. We worked around it but if you had several people wanting to rent, this could be a problem.  I have seen this idea work for shops that have a couple of  machines and can assume the risk.

Bottom line is it's your choice. I'm just giving you my experience.  Maybe others on here can give their own experience or thoughts on the subject.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 615
Points 11,735
Michelle replied on Tue, Feb 18 2014 1:08 PM

Thank you. That's some good thoughts. I also know that my machine works the best with one type of thread so that would have to be in the stipulations to rent it that they used only that thread. I may try one or two pekoe and see how inconvenient it is. I have 2 friends that sew on it but they are easy on the machine and don't try to go at top speed. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 237
Points 4,290
Christine replied on Wed, Feb 19 2014 3:00 PM

Thank you for thinking of me Ramona!  I'm finishing her Christmas quilt first, and I'll load the minky and quilt top when that one is finished.... Should get to that one this weekend.  

Homeschool isn't going very well this week... I have a son who might not reach his 13th birthday next month.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,923
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Thu, Feb 20 2014 10:47 AM

Christine,

That is the worst age. Terrible 2s has nothing on a child 12 and up. LOL Hange in there!

Page 35 of 37 (542 items) « First ... < Previous 33 34 35 36 37 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use