Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share #2

Page 32 of 40 (586 items) « First ... < Previous 30 31 32 33 34 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 585 Replies | 40 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 8:39 AM

Carol,  I have used connecting thread, (the 50 wgt) on my long arm since I got it,  not on every quilt of course since I use 40 wgt most of the time. I have not had a lot of issues with it. 

Thread breaks can occur for a lot of reasons.  Needle:  wrong size needle for the size of thread and or thickness of quilt.    Lots of quilting:  small quilting fillers, at a 15 setting,  needle can get hot and thread frays.    Thread dried out:  Try putting thread cone in freezer overnight.  Take out about 30 min before using.  It rehydrates it and cuts down on breakage.  also if my needle is not in the exact right place when I change a needle it will break the thread. 

These are just some things I have found with my machine.  It is not always the thread. 

Granny M

A day without quilting is like a day without sunshine, ........dull 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 8:43 AM

Christine:
I've had trouble logging into the forum for over a week!  Then I found out it's Internet Explorer causing the problem, QCA doesn't support IE anymore. 

Christine:  it does work with it.  I finally found the directions on how to fix the problem.   It is in the admin contact section under questions, I had to really hunt for it.  If you can't find it  friend me and I will send you directions

Granny M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 8:54 AM

I have had the hooked on feather for some time.  love what you did here.  I have this pattern, but make it as for smaller stars and quilted differently.

was going to post a picture, but can't find what folder I put in,  guess I will have to take another. 

Granny M

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 140
Wendy replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 7:19 PM

I'm sure someone has posted this before.. and I will go back and read some more.  BUT.. I'm wanting to buy I guess a long arm.  What I saw that made me want this is a video of a gal mapping/tracing an area to put a quilting design, after she told the software the trace she then picked a quilt pattern, sized it down to fit in her traced area pushed a button and BAM.. it quilted it where she wanted it.. so.... That is what I want.. 

I started my search last week since I know nothing of long arms or quilting software and I found out.. well they are two different things. I thought all I had to do was go into the store and buy a long arm and it would quilt it for me (as stated what I wanted above) a little bit of research I'm finding out I need software to make this happen, not just the long arm, and the frame.  But I'm so confused. Any information would be help.

Now I don't want to break the bank but I do want what I saw that woman use.. she traced out where she wanted the design, picked it out, re sized it and then pressed a button.  What price range am I looking at here?  And I mostly want to start off with mini quilts, twin size. What software, hardware, long arms, and frames would I need.  

What I do own is a Brother Quattro 6700 D embroidery, sewing, quilting, machine, and was told I could do this (Quilt with my machine).  I do also own embroidery Digitizing software, and have only made ONE quilt designs because it has to be continuous without cut offs. I am going to experiment next week and make a bunny quilt.. I'm going to digitize the embroidery bunny designs applique stitch them out and then digitize the quilt design to go in the bunny and see how that all goes. But I would like to buy a long arm. any help would be great.. I can digitize embroidery all day long i've been doing it since 2001 but quilting software just looks complicated. :( 

Thanks, Wendy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 807
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 7:36 PM

Wendy, You are talking some pretty big bucks there. Guess it depends on what brand you buy.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 140
Wendy replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 7:42 PM

I would like it to be 5,000-7,000 would that amount get me what I want? 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 807
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 7:54 PM

Wendy, I don't think so. Not if you have to buy a longarm. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 694
Points 13,230

Wendy,  I have a Long arm, HandiQuilter Avanti 18 with the frame.  It can have the computer attached to do what you are wanting but much higher that what you are thinking.  I was able to get my long arm with the frame for a 12 ft frame for about $7500.  The computer that you can get that does exactly what you are wanting is at least another $8000.  You load the quilt on the frame, decide what you want to quilt and where, then it will quilt that pattern exactly where you want it.  

I enjoy the freedom of just the free-motion quilting, so we only got the long arm and frame and I quilt all my quilts on it.  I think from the research I did on mine that that price is about what you would be looking at, some are much more expensive.  But you might find someone that is selling theirs and upgrading to another one, and get a good deal on it that way or on ebay.  The only thing you wouldn't have is the warranty and customer service, I am expecting? Just my thoughts, anyone else? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 807
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 8:08 PM

Michelle, I agree with you. I didn't want to discourage Wendy, but the computer attached can be quite pricey. The longarm you can save on depending on size. Mine is a 26' and cost quite a bit. To get the Statler Stitcher I think is about 13 to 15 thousand. So, I'm glad I like to free hand quilt.LOL  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 807
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 8:13 PM

Michelle, By the way, I think you do beautiful work

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 694
Points 13,230

You can always buy the long arm with frame, then learn your machine, get comfortable, find out your style and go back and get the computer later.  It's not something that you have to get all at one time. I found that I really like the freedom.  I first practiced on a shop machine that had a computer. I think it was a Gammel? not sure on the spelling.  I liked the result, but it wasn't really any fun to quilt, you just stand and watch the machine quilt it.  I can do that if I want, now by just renting the machine at the Quilt shop for $25/hr.  By having the machine at home, I really spend time on it, working on my tops and enjoying making patterns for the quilts.  

Before spending money on the computer, I would try out a few quilt shops and find one that is easy to work with.  All of them have different software and like any program it has to be user friendly or you won't use it. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 744
Points 14,360

Wendy:

I would like it to be 5,000-7,000 would that amount get me what I want? 

You may be able to get a longarm and frame for 5,00-7,000 but not the computers and software. Two years ago the 30" Gammill with 12' frame, overhead lights, and Statler Stitcher was about $30,000. The computers and software cost about the same as the longarm and frame.  Maybe you could start off with just the machine and then get the computers and software later.

Try to go to a large quilt show somewhere. You'll be able to see a few different brands of machines and talk to the sellers to help you decide what you want to get. Good luck!  Let us know what you end up doing.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 140
Wendy replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 10:02 PM

I've got to do more research for sure, but I'm think I'm going to have to start out slow and just get the long arm first.. no software. :( grow into.. No one sales anything close to me so it's going to be a 3-4 hour drive to play with some :(

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 6,195
nantenn replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 10:09 PM

Due to illness i have a Tin Lizzie 18, quilted 2 quilts. It has the Q-bot ( the. Computer,) has laser and all the bells and whistles, 12ft Phoenix  frame.. I would like 15K and will give 10% finders fee if you know of a buyer at full price. Live in SE.TN. Friend me for more detailsetc.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 744
Points 14,360

Wendy, I looked at your home page on QCA to see where you live.  There is a quilt show in Atlanta later this month:

http://www.sewingexpo.com/GeorgiaQuiltShow.aspx

It looks like it's pretty big. Lots of vendors!

Page 32 of 40 (586 items) « First ... < Previous 30 31 32 33 34 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use