Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share #2

Page 28 of 40 (586 items) « First ... < Previous 26 27 28 29 30 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 585 Replies | 40 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 809
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 9:16 AM

Carol, I tried to add, this is the last quilt I quilted, knowing I would be doing some heavy quilting in each block and it worked out good. Hope this helps. Don't give up, I haven't been at this very long myself. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 809
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 9:19 AM

Granny M, Good to see you post. It has been awhile. I don't post often myseld but I read all the post. I want to say your quilting is looking wonderful. I remember how we struggled when we first started.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 894
Points 16,935

So if you baste all the way down the sides before quilting, the 3 layers are all pinned to the same leader then, right?  How do you keep the back without wrinkles?  I'm very dependent on my rollers for keeping the backing straight and taut!

I still have a long way to go before being out of the beginner stage. I do OK with the Statler software for design, etc, but I can't seem to SID very well. The darn laser!  It's off by about 1/2 hair's width and so sensitive to adjustment. Well, of course, the seams aren't always exactly straight either. But I'm getting there. So much is available with the machine- I'm sure there's a lot that I don't even know that I don't know about it!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 809
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 10:04 AM

Carol, If your backing is square and straight when you put it on your rollers you shouldn't have a problem. I don't have a statler but, even so I would not use it for basting I don't think. I measure my top from center right and left and try to keep that meaurement all the way down the quilt. If it is straight I just use my horizontal lock and baste it down.I do not use the laser light for that.I haven't used my laser very much, I mostly do free motion or use rulers.I agree, there is a lot to learn. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,630
Points 52,280
Ginny replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 10:24 AM

Joan L, it looks like whatever you are doing is the right thing on your long arm.  The quilt is gorgeous.    Ginny

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 809
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 2:31 PM

Thanks Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:18 AM

Christine:
My ruler hopper foot came UPS on Friday... but it doesn't fit.  The foot hits the screw on the needle bar.  Waaahaaahaaa!

Did you need another hopping foot.   I have a crown jewel and use the same hopping foot that came with the machine.  You did  get a ruler base, right?   You have to have that to work with the rulers.  Otherwise the ruler will not sit right and there is risk of putting needle into the ruler.   I am no expect, but will help if I can

Granny M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:25 AM

Joan L.:
I want to say your quilting is looking wonderful. I remember how we struggled when we first started.

Good to see you are still here.  I know several have dropped out and some I hear from via email or phone.

Thanks for the compliment, and yes I sure do remember.  I am one of those people to keeps those first attempts around to keep me humble.  I have found a prayer helps when I start on a quilt.  Especially a client's quilt.   In fact I wrote the Hospice quilters prayer that we use to start our monthly meetings. 

So are things going good for you?

Granny M

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 809
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 8:42 AM

Granny M, Yes, I would say things are well for me. Just regular life. My husbands health is declining as well as mine so, I stay close to home, only go out once a week to shop. But I joined a guild last summer and am longarming their baby charity quilts for the guild. I think I have done 26 sense June. It is very good practice. I remember we got our longarms about the same time and I think we have both come a long way BABY. YEAH! Anyway I still love my longarm. I don't get to use it as much as I would like sense I don't quilt for clients, my quilts come a little for in between. Good to hear from you. I posted a picture of my latest quilt earlier in this thread. It took me about a month to quilt, working only a couple hours a day. Keep in touch, we miss you. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 9:41 PM

Hi Granny!  I ended up not needing another hopper foot.  All I had to do was rotate the needle bar and Voile! 

Thank you so much for offering to help. :~)  I'm working on one of Thea's Christmas quilts now.  She does faaaaabulous applique work.  Simply beautiful!  I'm using my new rulers on her quilt to do crosshatching around the applique. 

I'm sorry I didn't see your note sooner!  I'm not sure where the email notice went, usually I get them when someone sends a post to this thread. 

Edited Mar. 23: I did need a different hopper foot after all.  I rotated the needle bar but now the thread guide which is located on the needle bar is no longer in the right place and I have constant thread breaks.  Grrrrr  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 9:47 PM

About the long arm rulers I bought... I found crosshatching rulers at the Quilter's Rule booth at the Mid Atlantic quilt festival.  Wow, these are awesome rulers.  They come with a long base that rests up against the back roller, or you can flip it over and it rests on the belly bar.  This base holds the ruler in place so you don't have to hold the ruler.  I can do crosshatching soooo easily now.  And it's accurate every time.  I bought 2 long straight rulers to do the straight crosshatching and a curved one to make Baptist fans. 

Wow, I didn't know rulers could be so easy!  It feels like cheating, LOL! 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Wed, Mar 13 2013 9:52 PM

You can see one lying on Thea's quilt, although you can't see the base because it's hidden behind back roller. They only work on long or mid arm tables. You buy the base, which is black. The base of the ruler is black, L-shape, and it can be placed against the roller bar in the back, or turn it over and it fits over the belly bar. The base anchors the ruler down and it is soooo easy to follow along the ruler that way.

After you buy the base, there are a slew of rulers you can choose to attach to the base. I bought the 18" and the 24" straight rulers to make crosshatch designs. But I now need to buy the next larger size, I have the 26" Ansley and the 24" isn't long enough when it's on a 45 degree angle, I need the next one larger to do the 45 degree crosshatching from roller to roller. There are straight, curvy waves, and a whole range of long rulers you can attach to the base.

Then there is another separate attachment you can attach to the base to enable you to do Baptist fans. I bought this one too. To do Baptist fans, you need an attachment called the 'corner' or something like that, plus the ruler to attach to the corner. Go to the site and look up Baptist fans, you'll find the info. Here's the link:

http://www.quiltersrule.com/template/mqt-chr.html

I wrote them privately to ask for a 30" ruler. I want them to make one for my 26" Tin Lizzie frame.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 1:32 PM

Well, Thea's quilt is still sitting on my frame, and it's been 2 weeks now... dang!  The new ruler foot I bought doesn't fit, and I've been trying to get her quilt finished for a month now!  Murphy lives at my house!  LOL

I'm ordering a new ruler foot today, I give up on the company I bought this one from (it wasn't quiltersrule.com).  Thea... I'm sorry!!!  I bought the perfect set of rulers especially to do Thea's Christmas quilts (she sent 2 beautiful ones!).  I can't wait to see them finished.  I'd use the regular hopper foot but it won't work with rulers.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 1:39 PM

On happier note, I ordered a whole slew of long arm thread from Connecting threads.  The colors are great!   I think I'll like this thread, it's a low luster polyester, made for long arm machines.  I was using all cotton thread, but the lint is sooo annoying!  The lint builds up under the tension spring in the bobbin case.  It's one of the main reasons you get eyelashes underneath, and as we all know, we can't see the bottom of the quilt while we're longarming!!! 

Anyone else have thread recommendations for longarm machines? 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 809
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 5:10 PM

Christine, If you like the look of cotton but don't like so much lint you might like King Tut thread. I like it and it sews really nice but a bit more pricey.

Page 28 of 40 (586 items) « First ... < Previous 26 27 28 29 30 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use